Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.57 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

fit an air blocking surround to my fender mounted oil cooler.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9161 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryinNE View Post
fit an air blocking surround to my fender mounted oil cooler.
nice.
it is especially a debrit-protection from everything that comes flying from the tire.
Also ist blocks off dirt reaching the other side of the oil cooler and prevents it from being clogged.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9162 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

Garage
Fired it up.
Smelled fuel.
Shut it down.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/0812/POR_0812_BDYWHL_pg3.htm#item11
Old 02-26-2021, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9163 (permalink)
Momo & Abarth Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAIDusa View Post
Fired it up.
Smelled fuel.
Shut it down.

Mads - Steering Wheels & 911s
Old 02-26-2021, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9164 (permalink)
Registered

Right fender completed. Wet sand & polish:

Rewarding to see the paint come back to life!

While the gas tank is out, probably should get after the inside of the frunk lid too.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9165 (permalink)
Registered

An update on the tail/stop light housings.

Left side did not have the gasket between housing and back-plate:

This housing also had some damage to it and a missing partition. Cleaned, sandblasted, POR 15 to both the back-plate and housing:

Decided to fabricate the partition from a CD and epoxy in place and then cover with foil:

Right side was in pretty good shape since the gasket between the housing and back-plate was intact. It did need some attention to the reflective surface:

Getting better at burnishing the foil and pretty sure this will be fine.

For the gasket material, found this product which was recommended from a user on this site:

Thanks for following along.

DJ
Old 02-26-2021, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9166 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Rear Seat Delete

Took rear seats out, belts, and heavy original sound proof padding. 40lbs. Gone!
Old 02-26-2021, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9167 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinsd View Post
An update on the tail/stop light housings.

Getting better at burnishing the foil and pretty sure this will be fine.
It was recommended to me to use "chrome" spray paint on tail lamps. I tried it on our '64 Plymouth and it worked great. It is not mirror but very reflective!
www.instagram.com/drive_oz
Old 02-26-2021, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9168 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merk View Post
It was recommended to me to use "chrome" spray paint on tail lamps. I tried it on our '64 Plymouth and it worked great. It is not mirror but very reflective!
You are right. Should have used a spray chrome. Have some from Rust-Oleum however, feedback on this has been "it looks silver" and not like the cap on the can.

There is some "Chrome In The Bottle" model builders are spraying with an air brush over a high gloss black or white base and it looks really good, fantastic really. Have some light housing on a couple of my 356s that could use some love and will try the stuff they are using.

Thanks for your note.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9169 (permalink)
Garage dweller

Quite happy with the way this turned out
'14 Jeep Wrangler
'15 Audi RS5
Old 02-27-2021, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9170 (permalink)
Registered

Busy day today !
One seat out to fit a new hand-throttle plastic part as the old one had broken. Forgot how heavy the seats are !

Had the SSI's off to clean them out after the car had been sitting for a few years & oil from some old leaks had gotten inside them causing lots of smoke from the vents when they got hot. Refitted them today with new gaskets, nuts & barrel nuts.

Replaced the gear oil with the blue stuff that's been sitting on the shelf for a few years. Nice clean magnet on the drain plug

Painted the exhaust mounting bracket & some of the engine bay tinware that was looking a bit tired.

I think I earned a
Old 02-27-2021, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9171 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 SLANT View Post
Took rear seats out, belts, and heavy original sound proof padding. 40lbs. Gone
Be prepared for race-car like acoustics in your cabin.
It's about to get very noisy - mostly gear, and drive train related.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9172 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducman View Post

Quite happy with the way this turned out

Looks great!
Old 02-28-2021, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9173 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merk View Post
FWIW, if you upgrade to Spokeworks LED tail lights, brake lights, etc., the don't rely on the housing's reflectivity.

Your work looks satisfying tho!
1989 911 M491 / M470 Coupe #SpecialWishes1989M491
WTB / ISO: G50 911 M491 Coupe

Last edited by famoroso; 03-04-2021 at 02:44 AM..
Old 03-01-2021, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9174 (permalink)
Registered

Weighed M491 tea-tray spoiler base, rubber lip and mounting hardware. 26+ pounds...

Channeled my inner packaging engineer / Tetris master and loaded all of the following into my now former 1988 911 cab: Deconstructed tea-tray tail (decklid, tail base, rubber lip), extra muffler, extra cat, airbox lid frame, extra steering wheel, spare floor mat set, air compressor, top boot and other spare / extra parts...

After a highly successful BaT auction last week (www.bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-porsche-911-carrera-82), the siblings' last morning together, prior to Black Beauty being transported away...

First class cabin on the upper deck with a high falutin' neighbor for the voyage...

Heading to Georgia. Possibly the most California picture ever (and a sign of the California exodus times?)...

BIG. RIG.

1989 911 M491 / M470 Coupe #SpecialWishes1989M491
WTB / ISO: G50 911 M491 Coupe
Old 03-01-2021, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9175 (permalink)
COL911

Garage
Gary IN
Where did you source than front oil cooler shroud.?
Old 03-01-2021, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9176 (permalink)
Registered

Used carboard for making a template then transferred to an aluminum sheet. Cut out with an angle grinder. About 8 total hours of work. It is a MOCAL cooler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by COL911 View Post
Gary IN
Where did you source than front oil cooler shroud.?
Old 03-01-2021, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9177 (permalink)
1979 911 SC

Garage
Nothing compared to what you guys have completed by I managed to finish up the replacement of the fuel pump in my 79' SC. A little scary at first because immediately following it was spilling fuel at test. Turned out I had simply not exerted enough pressure to crush the washers around the banjo fitting. Some awesome pelicaners taught me how to jump the relay and run the pump without the engine so I can test more safely. I love this board!
Old 03-02-2021, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9178 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreigsr View Post
Be prepared for race-car like acoustics in your cabin.
It's about to get very noisy - mostly gear, and drive train related.
In my Targa I kept the stock carpet but the original insulation has been gone for a while.

I drive with top off 90% of the time and notice very little sound change.

It is a tiny bit louder at a stop sign while idling, but once I get moving the wind noise quickly masks the foundation sound.

The little bit of extra mechanical sounds are just more information to me, pulled the stereo out years ago so there are no conflicts of sound appreciation.

No smoking carpet, so I'm assuming heat transfer from the rear firewall isn't a problem.

I'm running a stock exhaust, and assume sport or lightweight aftermarket exhausts could be extra loud under certain conditions.

I suppose light weight self-adhesive thermal insulation can always be added for the wife later on if need be.

.................................................. ...........................

I ordered some Hylomar Universal Blue Non-Setting Sealant Silicone Jointing Compound for when I find my CIS vacuum leak.

All hoses have been changed except one, but some cap-offs may be leaking (still looking for surging idle cause). The blue goo will be used as a temporary measure until I can order the proper replacement parts from Pelican and perhaps do a partial or full engine drop to attend to leaks, both air and oil based.

https://www.amazon.com/Hylomar-Universal-Non-Setting-Silicone-Jointing/dp/B07NJHZJQQ

Quote:
Non-setting and Non-hardening

Resistant to a wide range of fluids including all industrial fuels, oils, water, and brine
.................................................. ...

I also ordered a fabric swatch for my car seats, going to do some cushion inserts. The fabric is more for church pew seating but so much less in cost than from Germany Porsche cloth, so I have to at least explore the possibility of using it.

.................................................. .......

A few days ago I helped diagnose my neighbor's 3.2 MFI issue, he recently installed an Air Fuel Ratio meter and is getting the car re-chipped, but needs a base reading.

One side is running lean so his base readings are off.

I told him about my experience chasing CIS leaks and told him about the propane and or starting fluid leak discovery methods.

He found several intake leaks on his car, one is "T-shaped" in the middle top of engine under other intake stuff. Not sure if he is ordering parts or just trying to seal it up so he can get his readings and get the chip made for this racing season.

I also got him to use this thick foam rubber pad that looks like a snow board that I gave a few months ago. I cannot stand watching him work knees down on bare concrete like that, not at his age.
George, Architect

Last edited by kach22i; 03-02-2021 at 05:17 AM..
Old 03-02-2021, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9179 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by famoroso View Post
FWIW, if you upgrade to Spikeworks LED tail lights, brake lights, etc., the don't rely on the housing's reflectivity.

Your work looks satisfying tho!
Thank you, Sir!

Thanks also for the tip on Spikeworks too!

DJ

Old 03-03-2021, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9180 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: