Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.54 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Pelican Parts Vendor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza_dh View Post

tons of caked on dirt/sand dust from living in VT/Upstate for most of its life

Looks clean to me
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/0812/POR_0812_BDYWHL_pg3.htm#item11
Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAIDusa View Post
Here's some need:

This is awesome, so you have taken the expression "just say no to trailer queens" on it's head!
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/664950-1976-911s-garage-find-road.html
Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
BRAIDusa,
love the urQuattro!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)
Smoove1010

Garage
Monza_dh - where are you getting the plating done?

I spent every night this week on the pre-drop checklist. I expect to post the obligatory owner-in-the-engine-bay pic by Monday...

GK
Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
Sugar Scoops Rule :)

Garage
Took mine on a test drive after last weekend's master cylinder replacement and subsequent brake bleeding. Nice firm pedal... yeah .

Dig the shot with the mud rooster tail. I'm too anal w/ my car to run it like that, but it sure looks like fun!
'62 VW Type 1 Sunroof
'73 914 2.0 (1st Porsche, gone long ago but not forgotton)
Old 01-18-2013, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSpace View Post
This is awesome, so you have taken the expression "just say no to trailer queens" on it's head!
Ha, thanks. We need to invent a new expression for this. How about:

"Trailer pig" ?
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/0812/POR_0812_BDYWHL_pg3.htm#item11
Old 01-18-2013, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Pelican Parts Vendor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
BRAIDusa,
love the urQuattro!
Have you been snooping quattrorunner?

and what about your Pelican id ? Please explain.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave 911 View Post

dig the shot with the mud rooster tail. I'm too anal w/ my car to run it like that, but it sure looks like fun!
It has its moments
Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoove1010 View Post
Monza_dh - where are you getting the plating done?

I spent every night this week on the pre-drop checklist. I expect to post the obligatory owner-in-the-engine-bay pic by Monday...

GK

I am using Jim at this place: Yellow Zinc Plating - "Gold Cad" style replating and chromating for auto part finish restoration

I found him on this board and He is in NJ so closer for you than me.

He does a lot for MB and BMW restorers and was reasonable for blasting and plating a bunch of small parts.

good luck!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)
Pelican Parts Vendor

Garage
I Picked the car from Ryan Thompson today and found this gorgeous custom harness bar in the back. Better and cheaper than Sparco. Perhaps yYou should get one.

and the MOMO steering wheel hub arrived.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

where to start....

Old 01-18-2013, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

redridge... Nice.

I just drove mine today. And it was a great day to do it. Going to look at a set of $250 tan leather seats tomorrow morning.

That's Long's Peak above the car.

Ginter's 914 stuff

Last edited by gint; 01-18-2013 at 07:38 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)
Air Cooled

Garage
Gint, what a great day today was! My truck read 62 degrees and in the sun it felt more like 72. Glad you got out and could enjoy it!

redridge, that looks sweet!! I'm going to be doing those ER oil lines. How difficult was it? I realize it looks like you installed the oil tank, finned lines, and the oil cooler, but I'm only doing the lines and wondered how much time to allot to that task. Thanks.

Me, I only dismantled the steering rack and took a look at the bearings. They look good, but the rubber spacer doesn't..

'88 Honda Hawk GT, '77 Honda CB750K Cafe
Old 01-18-2013, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

I spent all day at work. At 4:01 I was out!

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 01-18-2013, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)
Air Cooled

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gint View Post
I spent all day at work. At 4:01 I was out!
Ha! Well played Gint, well played.
'88 Honda Hawk GT, '77 Honda CB750K Cafe
Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

thanks guys.

Craig_D the install wasnt that bad... but the problem is taking the lines apart. These lines are in there so long and the the cycles of heating and cooling can weld the joints together. If you force the coupling apart you can strip the inside threads... especially on the thermostat and the heat exchanger end. But if you are only doing lines, decoupling it on the front end should loosen up. If it doesnt then you have to heat it, but risking compromising the flex hose. On the thermostat end its even more riskier... heating helps alot here. If you can dismantle the existing lines thennthe ER lines install is straight forward.

Installing the ER lines require you to align all the pipes do not tighten the couplings at this time. Mark the alignment on the lines as they tend to missalign as you tighten the couplings. You may need to form the holding brackets a bit to grab the lines. It took me about 3 hours to install the lines once the old lines are off... but this was the whole system from the tank, flex lines, thermostat, finned pipes, flex lines and heat exchanger. Overall i rate the install a 6/10, ymmv. GL.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

My 2c worth. My 74 had no front cooler. With my 3.2 engine, I insisted on the thermostat, the oil lines and the front cooler. Good thing I did. But one of the original lines was badly kinked and I was concerned. I bought new hoses for the connection to the cooler, and from the thermostat to the engine/tank, and I bought ER lines to replace the factory lines. I sent my tank and cooler to a company in LA that was recommended to me and they cleaned both. My install was difficult mostly I suppose because none were ever installed before. I needed help to hold them, so my wife agreed to help and dog had to help too. I had a hard time with them. Maybe it is just because I am a klutz but the three clamps in the area of the rockers and the one in the wheel well which were new would just not go over the ER lines with the insulators in place. The had to be reshaped. Also once in place with the fittings loose, I could not get at the fittings between the lines forward to the cooler and the thermostat. Anyway, finally got it all done, but left the clamps 'loose' and worked on it several times, moving the lines forward and back, forward and sideways etc etc several times trying to get it to fit. Anything I put the car on, jack stands or my lift arms always seemed to be in the way. Oh well, once the engine was in place my son worked on them and got them better. Then one day we put the outer rockers on, and the pain all came back. Anyway, they are in now, and I hope they never come out again. The factory design works, but little elves with little hands and super human strength must have put them in at the factory.
2005 Boxster (Base car) Guards Red.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)
Functionista

Finally got the last worn bushing out of my front Bilstein struts. Had to make a tool but I like DIY projects. I also straightened one back to 11 degrees using an iphone, press and 6011 rod.

I should make a separate thread about it....
Old 01-19-2013, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)
Functionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleflesburg View Post
After looking at what Paul did, I got thinking again about an old subject. Fender liners. Does anyone make fender liners for older 911s like the new cars have. I have had some of the plastic pieces off of the bottom of my Boxster, and I sure wish we could fit something like that on our 70s 80s and 90s 911s.
Here you go.....

Porsche 911 Wheel Arch Liners
Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Did a 4.5 hour tour around town. First stop was to buy my $250 leather SC seats. Littleton, Lakewood, Broomfield, Thornton, and back to Brighton. Installed my new seats, took the Christmas lights off of my 20' blue spruce out in back and synchd carbs on my 914. Good car day. 58 and sunny. Whoohooo

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 01-19-2013, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: