Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
MFI pump - What happened here?

I am rebuilding an injection pump following the excellent instructions in Michael Burgess's book (michael70st). The cam followers were very difficult to move in the bore. After getting the cam out and pulling the followers I know why.

The pins that carry the roller all have what appears to be melted plastic flowing from the ends. The plastic material is through the center of the hollow pins as well. I assume the pins, when new, have plastic ends that keep the pins centered in the bore. What are they supposed to look like? Any ideas on what I can do with what I have?

Old 02-18-2013, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have not seen one that bad before. The plastic center pin keeps the floating pin centered in the bore of the 2 rollers and follower. Something (very dirty oil?) must have kept the pin from free floating and it appears to have gotten frozen to one side. The plastic pin end started to melt rubbing on the cam follower bore. A better picture of the melted other side would help.
Below is a photo of 3 pins ranging from a very early pump (solid metal pin) to the first plastic center pin ( thicker bore in center of pin) and the latest plastic pin.

This photo is the first plastic pin used. Notice the thicker plastic section going through the center of the pin.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Every single pin is melted on one or both sides. Also I looked at the bores and there is deep scoring where the ends of the pins were riding so I guess the pump body is junk.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to rsrguy
Jeez how hard is it to rebuild these things?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Not so fast on junking the pump body. Clean up the bores and take a good look inside. The pin on the damaged rollers only travel about 7mm down into the bore from the bottom end and there is still about 25mm of good bore left to support the cam follower. There is a good chance if the bores are not too damaged you could get a set of the early solid pins and they would have a more rounded and larger area on the ends that might not be bothered by the small plastic pin damage area. Just an idea. Any pictures of the pump body and follower bores?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I took a look at the bores and they have general scuffing but no scratches or major damage except where the pin ends were running.

Sorry for the poor picture quality.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I think it might be salvageable. I'm curious to why this happened. How hot or dirty would the oil have to be to melt the roller pin ends? Was there any oil at all?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
No idea of history. I bought it for little money with condition unknown. There where chunks of the melted plastic in the bottom when I opened it up. Seems generally pretty dirty with a gritty feel to the oil residue in the governer area, but in the plunger area things move freely and I don't see much in the way of scratches.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
WWII aero engine nut

Mark,
Can you please give me an idea of what years were what type?
Also, what type of roller do you think I have in a 1969E.
Finally, are they all interchangeable and upgradeable?
Thank you

80 SC, 59 Flaminia, 68 Ultravan
1 914 track project & 3000 lbs of 914 parts all for sale now
Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I have found the solid steel rollers in some of the early 69's only. It seems they went to the plastic center pins in late 69. If your 69 E pump is a 0 408 126 002, 0 408 126 004, it's the early pump and might have the solid steel rollers. The roller pin is interchangeable with all the other years, but remember, the outter large roller is a sized roller for that particular plunger ( plunger height adjustment ) assembly and come in 15 sizes from 14.40mm OD to 16.08mm OD. Don't mix them up.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: