Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post G50 transmission, What gear oil should I use?

I have heard that swepco is not ideal for the G50 transmission.

What should I use? I'd like to improve the 1-2 shift a bit as it is a tad difficult on hard acceleration.

------------------
David

1988 911 Carrera Coupe
Leonoff Net

[This message has been edited by Periokid (edited 08-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Periokid (edited 08-19-2001).]
Old 08-19-2001, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

Redline 75W90 gear oil - approx 4 quarts
Smoother and less clatter...
Old 08-19-2001, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
David,

I have an '87 Carrera and was having the same intermittent "difficult" shifts from 1-2, particularly under hard acceleration. Noticed that a few thousand miles earlier, the PO Mechanic put in Sweepco. After a few searches on this and the Rennlist BBS, I put in Mobil One synthetic gear lubricant.

Shifting performance is much smoother and noticably easier in all ranges. Highly recommended - do it tonight.

However, I have also noticed that the 1-2 hard shift problem is probably as much or more smooth technique than anything. I started to really pay attention to early shift movement before the clutch was fully disengaged. In 1st, things are happening quickly and it seemed that in 75% of my shifts, I was simply rushing things.

A trusted wrench checked over my car after this, felt it was not a synchro problem (no grinding, just a bit hard to enagage) so I think the combo of Mobil 1 and technique is a good solution. Certainly much less expensive than opening the case.

Hints:
- Take out the fill plug first. Mine was in really, really tight. It is technically "bad" to drain out the gear oil and have no way to get it in.
- There is a thread about using a steel drain plug vs aluminum. Someone else could probably contribute more here.
- Buy a simple gear oil pump - this is the only reasonable way to get the oil up into the fill hole.
- The gear oil pump of course did not fit into the Mobil 1 bottle. So I improvised and attached the pump hose over the bottle spout and "sucked" it out. Write me if this does not make sense.
- Make sure the tube stays in the fill hole when you pump. Don't ask why I know this.

Good Luck, and happy shifting!

Don

PS - I'm sure Redline or other synthetic's are good too, my experience happens to be with Mobil 1.

------------------
don@plumley.org
Das Zoom - '87 Carrera

[This message has been edited by Don Plumley (edited 08-19-2001).]
Old 08-19-2001, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
I am not sure if the 'old' steel drain and filler plugs with the male 19 mm hex are still available ... Stoddard's search engine did not find either pn in their database.

Just in case a dealer might have some in stock:

Filler - 999.064.007.02

Drain - 999.064.008.02

Another potential souce is any VW dealer. The style of the plugs for the old air-cooled cars' plugs is the 17 mm hex recess, but they are steel, and will withstand Vise-Grips, plumber's wrenches, etc. without damaging the transaxle case!

------------------
Warren Hall
1973 911S Targa
1992 Dodge Dakota 5.2 4X4 parts hauler
Old 08-19-2001, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Redline is to motor oil as K&N is to oil filters.

that's an appropriate analogy. Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil should be good for you G50. Some people may tell you that they are more prone to leaking but that's not the case in my car.

no need for Redline, just more marketing than performance

Old 08-19-2001, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Does Mobil 1 come is different viscocities for the gear oil?

------------------
David

1988 911 Carrera Coupe
Leonoff Net
Old 08-19-2001, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
My G50 also shifts reluctantly when cold from 1-2.I am switching to synthetic at 45k service(soon), as a result of several posts on this same topic.
How many Quarts does the G50 hold?
Old 08-19-2001, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I switched from Swepco to Mobil 1 in my 87 Carrera. Sort of feel it is a little slicker, snick, snick.
Ned Monaghan
Old 08-19-2001, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Pre Registered

Mrdi,
I think the factory G50 capacity spec is 3.6 (US) Qts.
Also, FWIW I've had positive results with a Castrol SAE 90 (GL-5)fluid in the G50.
Good luck,
Tim
Old 08-19-2001, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'VE USED REDLINE ACCORDING TO REDLINE SUPPLIED BLEND AS THE GEARLUBE MAY REQUIRE A LIMITED SLIP ADDITIVE. IF YOU CALL OR EMAIL REDLINE I AM SURE THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE MIX. I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT MOBIL 1 HAS THIS TYPE OF ADDITIVE IN IT.
Old 08-19-2001, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Periokid:
Does Mobil 1 come is different viscocities for the gear oil?
Not that I'm aware of. The API spec is GL5, type is SAE 75W90. This is not ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid), but Gear Lubricant. Got mine at Kragen, needs just over 3 liters - just be sure you are buying gear lube for a manual transmission.

First I've ever heard of an LSD oil additive however - and a search on the board turned up nothing. Perhaps John or Roland know something about this.

Don
Old 08-19-2001, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
When I was looking for lubricants for my cars, I contacted Redline for some info. A fella named Dave Granquist (owns a 993, I believe) recommended 75W90. I asked about the 75W90NS which eliminates the friction modifier to eliminate chatter in LSD's. He claimed that Porsche LSD's do not experience the usual chatter that other LSD's do exhibit with friction modifier. I'd have to check my file to be sure of his recommendations.

I don't know about the high-performance benefits of Redline, but I will say that it makes for much smoother movement of the gearshift in the winter (on my 92 Eagle Talon). I think that counts for something. Dyson racing uses it (among others i'm sure). Might work somewhat better than conventional oil.

I believe Porsche simply recommends a GL-5 lube for the transaxles (no mention of a friction modifier). For comparison, the owner's manual of my former Mustang Cobra recommended a friction modifier additive when changing the lube in the Traction-Lok differential.

There's my $0.02

------------------
Kevin
87 Carrera coupe

[This message has been edited by KTL (edited 08-20-2001).]
Old 08-20-2001, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

A while back, I had Swepco put into the G50 of my 92 C2 and immediately noticed that the shifting was very balky. I switched to Mobil 1 a few thousand miles later and the shifting was SO much better. Night and day difference.

This thread came up several months ago (I'm not sure if it was on this board), and someone questioned why Swepco wouldn't work perfectly with a G50. His opinion was that Swepco should work fine if the gearbox is in good condition, but perhaps Mobil 1 helps to smooth out gearboxes that aren't in optimum condition. Turns out he was a Swepco dealer, so take that opinion with a HUGE grain of salt if you should come across a similar opinion.
Old 08-20-2001, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Schleprock

Drew,

That discussion was on Rennlist. I remember many said the same thing. The switch from Swepco to Mobil was a good one. I agree. I switched from Swepco to Mobil and noticed less low speed gear chatter (no LSD here) and the first 1-2 shift after cold startup was much smoother. The improvements have remained after about 1000 miles so I can't necessarily speak for the long term effects of Mobil 1, but i'm pleased nonetheless.

I have nothing against the Swepco. Mobil just seems to go better in the G50. This has been claimed by MANY others.

------------------
Kevin
87 Carrera coupe
Old 08-20-2001, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I have a feeling that a bunch of you 'G-50 guys' are using thinner gear oil than the factory recommends! The Carrera spec book [b]SPECIFICALLY RECOMMENDS GL-5 (or mil. spec. 2105B) SAE 90 gear lube for Type G-50 (950) on p. 122.

------------------
Warren Hall
1973 911S Targa
Old 08-20-2001, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Schleprock

I don't think anybody makes a straight 90 gear oil anymore? Most are multi-grade. Just about any bottle/spec. you read says the 75W90 meets the API GL-5/ MIL-PRF-2105E requirements. That's an "E" not a "B," so I don't know what difference there may be in the specs.

------------------
Kevin
87 Carrera coupe
Old 08-20-2001, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I do believe Porsche does recommend using gear lube with friction modifier for the G50 equipped with LSD/ABD. Should be in the owners manual.
Old 08-20-2001, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

There is still plenty of SAE 90 gear oil out there, you just won't find it at the corner auto supply! Try petroleun distributor, industrial/trucking supply, farm/tractor supply, or even Wal-Mart! Usually in 5 gallon buckets, I have recently seen Chevron, Shell, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, and Exxon SAE 90 gear oil!

------------------
Warren Hall
1973 911S Targa
Old 08-20-2001, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Schleprock

Oops. Should've said "didn't think" anyone offered SAE 90, as most are multigrade nowadays which (supposedly) are a applicable substitute. I can always count on you guys to set me straight.

I'll give the SAE 90 a go next season and see how things go. Probably a little heavier shift feel during cold operation, but that's what you pay for added protection.

------------------
Kevin
87 Carrera coupe
Old 08-20-2001, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Unhappy

I did the gear oil change with Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil.

Guess what, no difference!

Perhaps more difficult to go from 1 - 2 on hard acceleration.

Normal acceleration is not a problem at all.

Comments?

------------------
David

1988 911 Carrera Coupe
Leonoff Net

[This message has been edited by Periokid (edited 08-21-2001).]
Old 08-20-2001, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: