Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Flying to Atlanta Tomorrow morning

So I'm flying to Atlanta tomorrow morning to buy 9/11 meeting the guy at the airport to buy it from him and drive it back to Florida
any advice on told tell signs what to look for

Kevin over kmw motorsports in Boca Raton said they're pretty much bulletproof cars just to see if the front end has any damage to it and should be okay as long as it runs and drives good

The guys driving it from agusta which is about 100+ miles so that's a good sign

Old 03-29-2013, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to schulr
Be sure you get a pre purchase inspection before changing any cash. There are lots of posts on what to look for so do some searching first. Give us some more details on what you are buying. These are wonderful cars but they do have their issues as most 25+ year old toys.

Bob
Old 03-29-2013, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
What year?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
It's an 85
Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not really going to have an opportunity to have anybody check it out I'm pretty much flying up there and meeting the guy at the airport and either going to buy it or get on the flight back home so if there's anything that might stand out that you can think of please let me know
I have some pictures I don't know how to post them on this mobile site
Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Oh Damn, you are a gambler, eh?

Okay, check under the car for leaks, after 100+ miles it should show if any. Heck, let it sit for 10-15 minutes and look for drip spots on the pavement.

Also check for rust, under the car and pull the carpets, not just the mats but the front and rears, they come out easily.

Clutch should release and engage half way of pedal throw

While the car is on, remove oil cap, if no vacuum leaks the idle will drop, if it does not then there is a vacuum leak.

Bring a magnet and check the body for heavy bondo aka past TC

Pull and push on the front wheels for slop, if loose it could be bearings, strut, ball joint, etc...

Rears, can't really check except on a turn or on a road burm, drive up on it if safely and if it does not "clunk" then bearing should be okay.

Damn, so many things, I am not a pro, so there is hell of allot more to check.

But at least guy will think you know what you are doing, damn what faith you have brother.

Jim
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 03-29-2013 at 09:51 PM..
Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Freaking awesome man thank you so much
Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
561-866-8934 That's my number if you call me I'd really appreciate it so I have your number if I have any questions when I'm there you can send me a bill
Old 03-30-2013, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
The biggest issue with the 3.2 is oil consumption due to worn valve guides. Not sure there is any way you can check for this on your own. Ask about how many mile he gets on a quart, 600 is okay, and if you are there long enough for the engine to cool down, check for smoking. I bought mine the same way in Miami but I had a PPI done and still did not catch everything. Good luck and post some pics when you get back.

Bob.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
winter

If there is a fairly long hill that you can drive down do so with the car in gear "decelerating" using the engine as a "brake" while looking in the rear view mirror. The presence of blue smoke will indicate worn valve guides. Please note that the guides may be worn and you may not see smoke. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
winter

Oh, a flashlight will come in handy for illuminating the recesses of the engine bay and the underside of the car as you look for oil leaks.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
How many miles on the car, see what maintenance has need down and rebuilds. Hopefully he has rebuilt the top end.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Drive to a reputable shop and get a PPI.
77 911tt EFI wide body red/ Slightly modified SOLD
Old 03-30-2013, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Without a PPI you had better be getting a good deal my friend. Plenty of "quiet" money sucking probs are not going to be seen in the airport parking lot.
In addition to the above, look over the (hopefully extensive) maintenance records to get a sense of the level of care taken with the car. Sparse records = poor care. Adjust your offer accordingly.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
I've never had any PPIs done on any of 13+ 911s I've had. This is a 25 year old car. In talking with the owner, you can judge if he took care of it or not. Aside from the obvious visual things that can be seen on a walk-around, expect that it will need things.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
South bound with the top down

The car has a little unsteady idle issue
Old 03-30-2013, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You must be desperate to own a 911........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotony1966 View Post
So I'm flying to Atlanta tomorrow morning to buy 9/11 meeting the guy at the airport to buy it from him and drive it back to Florida
any advice on told tell signs what to look for

Kevin over kmw motorsports in Boca Raton said they're pretty much bulletproof cars just to see if the front end has any damage to it and should be okay as long as it runs and drives good

The guys driving it from agusta which is about 100+ miles so that's a good sign
ynotony,

It all depends on the condition and price of the car. If you are paying $15K and not familiar with 911, you're taking a lot of risk. As a seller, I'll drive 100+ miles to meet the buyer because it would be difficult to resist the temptation of unloading this car. However, if you are buying a running '85 Carrera for $8K-$9K it would be less risk on your part.

How much are you paying for this car (unseen and without PPI)? Or did you have someone looked at it before? Keep us posted.

Tony
Old 03-30-2013, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
What's a ppi
Old 03-30-2013, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Too late now........but a PPI is a pre purchase inspection.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: