Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
78 911 Cali targa

Garage
Digging deep

Hi all,

I have posted several times about different things stuff and now am tearing apart my interior. Yes carpet has been pulled out. Old tar stuff cracking and crumbling on the interior. I need direction. Lots of old wiring to nowhere has been removed. I want to re do for sound and new carpet. What is the best quality and easiest source for a dryer like me.

Thanks

Gary
1978 targa
Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
At least I'm housebroken.

Garage
The old tar stuff can be removed with a chisel. A little heat helps too. I used Marine Clean afterwards and it cleaned up nicely. Get rid of the glue goop with some paint stripper. They sell some stuff at Home Depot that is orange and smells like a creamsicle. Look up nineball's thread for more info. Plenty of choices on carpet. Contact Bob at AppBiz. I used Damplifier with a layer of 1/4" closed cell foam (CCF) and then a layer of mass-loaded vinyl (MLV) and then carpet.

My friends think I'm addicted to brake fluid but I can stop anytime.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
78 911 Cali targa

Garage
Thanks for the input. Will do.

Gary
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
78 911 Cali targa

Garage
How much of each of those materials did you buy? Looking to order.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 04-09-2013, 11:50 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
At least I'm housebroken.

Garage
I can't remember exactly. The CCF and MLV are sold from a roll and by the yard so the width is what the width is. I think it was about 5 feet wide IIRC. I took a rough measurement from the front of the windshield to the back of the parcel shelf and then rounded up to the next yard. I can't remember how much damplifier I bought but I had several extra sheets left over. Call the folks at Second Skin Audio for some advice too. No reason to invest in premium stuff. There is a very fine line is just reducing excessive noise and unnecessarily spending money. It's a 911 and it won't ever be a luxury sedan.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Taking it apart is easy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post
. . . There is a very fine line is just reducing excessive noise and unnecessarily spending money. It's a 911 and it won't ever be a luxury sedan.
Remember the point above. People are giving good advice on here about materials, how much to use, etc., but in the end, no matter how complete a job you think you are doing, noise will remain. What constitutes "excessive noise" is subjective. I went the big bucks route and still wear ear plugs on long drives.

PLEASE CHECK MY NON-TYPICAL BLOG: www.ponderingporsches.blogspot.com
Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Get a selection of plastic scrapers, 14" up to 2 even 3". When applying the orange stripper (or equiv) goop it on a section at a time with a cheap disposable painting brush and immediately cover it with plastic (dry cleaner covers are perfect) - you want to keep the more volatile (and beneficial) agents at work as long as possible. A selection of plastic to metal 2 / 3/ 5" wire wheels mounted to a wireless drill are useful as well.

Use eye protection in all things you are doing! Cannot stress that enough. Goopy work, so have a plastic yard-sized bag at hand to just stuff everything into.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: