Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to pavegeno
Catalytic Converter

Any advice on a replacement cat? There is a Porsche original available and I see the DEC for sale at about half the price.

Anyone with expertise able to comment on the differences or pros and cons? Do different states care if you have an aftermarket or stock? Any emissions cleaning difference.

Thanks!

Last edited by pavegeno; 04-29-2013 at 05:14 PM..
Old 04-29-2013, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
From what I know, the only state that is different in CA in terms of differences in cats. It's not unusual to see 2 different cats from the same company - one for use in CA and one for use in the other 49 states.

Each state has different laws on whether emissions is required and in some circumstances a cat could be required to pass (assuming a visual inspection of the vehicle isn't necessary if you're deleting the cat and trying to pass emissions).

I did some research on this in the past. Sorta depends on your year model and what your current exhaust setup is but I don't think you necessarily need a Porsche or OEM. I'd look at something like Magnaflow. Might need a muffler shop to fit the flanges but for the price difference it'd be worth the extra hassle vs drop in replacement.

Just my $0.02.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks...car is a 1988...PO removed the cat and put a bypass pipe. Money isn't the issue as far as whether to go OEM or DEC...just want to get one back on and not have to deal with it for a long time and not sweat any emissions testing for an upcoming move next summer. If the OEM is very good and lasts a long time, I'd rather do that than buy a "good" aftermarket unit just have to replace it down the road at a greater frequency.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Cat Converter

Hi....before I tried to go cheap for my '88 carrera and bought an aftermarket. Lasted less than a year and clogged up. Try to go from an original OEM and they will last a long long time. Going half the price will also mean lasting only 3-4 years or only 2 smog checks. After that, you are back in the same boat looking or replacing the aftermarket again. My aftermarket barely passed on my second smog check for my '85 911...........no more aftermarket junk.

Wil-
Old 04-29-2013, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Did you buy the DEC cat?

I called the Honolulu dealership here in town and they said the OEM cat was NLA. Called Pelican and Suncoast Porsche in Florida and they said they could get them.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Any others?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Ended up getting the DEC 50 State cat. So far so good.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

I bought my 88 from Colorado and it had a replacement CAT. Took it to get smogged and it failed. Replaced with an OEM CAT and passed easily.
My (very reputable) Porsche mechanic told me there are no good replacement CATs. You get what you pay for - OEM or crap.

'88 Carrera Targa
'10 Carrera S
Old 03-14-2014, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Unfortunately, the OEM cat is NLA from Porsche. If you know of another source, let me know please...
Old 03-14-2014, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Make America Great Again!

Hey pavegeno, I bought a Fabspeed 200 cell sport cat through Pelican. About $500 with all hardware, and it bolts right in. Beautiful piece of art, for a cat. My old cat seemed partially clogged, and this really opened my car up over 3K rpm. Rips. Not 50 state though, but Fabspeed says every year they'll get it CARB certified.
Fabspeed sport cats
Old 03-14-2014, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

my '86 is currently at 160k and its original cat is still working fine, you might want to post in the classified section for a good used factory cat
Old 03-14-2014, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavegeno View Post
Unfortunately, the OEM cat is NLA from Porsche. If you know of another source, let me know please...
It shows as available right from this site - $1466.75 is the cost.

'88 Carrera Targa
'10 Carrera S
Old 03-14-2014, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Waited several months to purchase from either Pelican or through the dealer. Called back several times over the months. They both told me they were NLA.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ended up installing the DEC 50 state...

Old 07-13-2014, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: