Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to pavegeno
Cats Don't Like Brad Penn?

Making my periodic order of Brad Penn oil and oil filters when I read this on our host's website about Brad Penn:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911M/POR_911M_BASflt_pg5.htm#item24

Not for use in cars with catalytic converters.

Anyone know why?

I don't have a cat but getting ready to order and install one. Been running Brad Penn for a long time. Do I need to stop and go to something else for a few oil changes before installing a cat? Those things are expensive and I don't want to ruin one because of the oil.

Last edited by pavegeno; 05-01-2013 at 12:16 AM..
Old 05-01-2013, 12:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Racer

The high phosphorous levels in certain Brad Penn oils can lead to catalytic converter "poisoning".

A Google search will provide scores of hits.......

Scott
Old 05-01-2013, 12:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Senior Advisor

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to James Brown
with the governments ever changing requirements, they shelved the very oil components that sustains our beloved air cooled life. ZDDP tends to clog some type of converters over the years, many years. The warning is the same as on meds and such-meaningless intervention in out lives. Use the good oil and be happy, drive on
Old 05-01-2013, 01:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Rescuer of old cars

Garage
Yup, takes years/miles. Remember that cats came into general use in the USA in 1975, and they didn't start removing the ZDDP from normal oils for several decades. The only reason they did it was because the automakers have been forced to extend the emissions warranty way out, and they don't want cat failures on their watch. So the carmakers started spec'ing low ZDDP oils as a preventative measure.

Me? I'd rather replace a $500 cat than an engine. And that's assuming that you are still subject to emissions checks where you live. If not, there are numerous cheaper options.

1972 911T coupe
Priors - '84 911 Carrera coupe, '84 944, '73 914 2.0

Last edited by Arne2; 05-01-2013 at 07:31 AM..
Old 05-01-2013, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: