Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Car looks great so far! Subbed for progress.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Nice build keep up the progress !
Old 06-13-2013, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Mr. C

Garage
I'm Enjoying this thread 'Johan'. What a blast !

Six = Sex
Old 07-05-2013, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
I had an issue installing the motor as the motor mount bolts would not line up with my Rennline rear cross bar. If you are interested, you can follow the discussion and my solution in here:
Motor instal issue

I also tackled the tubing between the turbo and the intercooler.

The issue here is that there is so little vertical room with which to maneuver 2 1/4 " tubing with two bends without hitting the fuel rail immediately underneath. I also want the tubing to be easily removable for service of anything that is underneath the intercooler. The pics above indicate that my initial plan using 45 degree tubing is no good. Cumbersome to assemble and disassemble even with silicone couplings, hits the fuel rail, and generally the assembly is forced with pressure everywhere which will likely lead to issues on the road. So I am abandoning this setup and considering two alternatives:
1. Changing the tubing angle on both bends to 90 degrees. This will work to eliminate hitting the fuel rail, will be easy to disassemble, but the distance between the turbo and intercooler will be slightly longer. The instal will still not look that pretty.
2. More expensive and really tricky would be the realignment of the whole left intercooler tank and intake. If the intercooler was not so big ( nice problem to have :-) ) there would be room to increase the left rear portion of the tank to accommodate a 2 1/2 to 3" intake and still have the duck tail close properly. The turbo-intercooler distance would be shorter and more direct which would optimize performance. This motor is so powerful, well mannered and has very little turbo lag so I don't know that I would notice any difference even on the track.
I'm open to any suggestions so please do weigh in.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Well, the decision has been made and I'm going ahead with option #2. I've started some prep work getting the alignment between the turbo and the IC. My objective is to move the IC intake further back and at a 30 degree angle from the top surface and pointing 5. Degrees inwards. Hopefully, the connection will be a 2 1/2 pipe with a 45 degree bend which is required to miss the fuel rail.

As you can see, there is little room to spare with this size of IC. I'm quite happy that it is fully exposed to the air intake opening on the deck and sits close to tithe opening to force the air through it rather than around it.

And the grill still fits.

Some of you may have noted the battle scars on the IC, just a gentle reminder to me as to how this project came to pass.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Eva

Garage
This build is ... FRIGGIN' AWESOME
Old 07-11-2013, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Thanks Saucy.
I'm still having problems posting pics right side up from my iPad. They look fine on the iPad but when I go to my computer some are sideways, only some!?@#%&? Go figure....
More posts soon.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Another frigging heat wave in Central Ontario. Had to finally install the air conditioning unit in my garage.
I have sent out the IC for "preliminary" modification to the intake. Hopefully the mods will be tacked welded for initial fitment.
In the meantime, I have modified the intake from the IC to the throttle body- Pop off valve, idle control valve and intake temperature sensor have all been grafted into the L-shaped 2 1/2 inch pipe. Very tight but it fits.

The idle control valve is attached to a bracket at the bottom left of the throttle body and the MAP sensor is at the right with the blue tube attached to the intake manifold.

I also dry fitted the Rarlyl8 muffler and 934 pipe with the rear bumper/ valance in place as I was looking forward to do some cut outs for the tail pipe and 934 dump pipe. A bit disappointed-the whole unit hangs below the lower valance but I guess it still looks OK. The tail pipes are awesome but stick out too far IMHO-somebody is going to walk into these so I am contemplating shortening them a bit. No need to deal with this now as it can be dealt with easily once the car is on the road.

More next week.
Cheers........................

Last edited by Uwon; 07-18-2013 at 06:53 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Eva

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
Thanks Saucy.
I'm still having problems posting pics right side up from my iPad. They look fine on the iPad but when I go to my computer some are sideways, only some!?@#%&? Go figure....
More posts soon.
Anytime

Its just that out of all the other threads with countless builds and fender flairs, weight loss, spoilers, wide tires, back dating ... Blah blah...

This is the exact idea I have had for my car since before I purchased it as it mixes the most BadA$$ characteristics of many 911s, IMO.

How can you go wrong with a non-wide body and unassuming duck-tail with a turbo motor stuffed under it!? YOU CANT!
Old 07-19-2013, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
Nice build, love the exhaust. It's always fun adding those small touches that only "car guys" actually GET. Others will be like "why don't his exhaust match?".

Nicely done! Good reminder to read as I head off to track myself as I hit enter.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
It's been a while since I have updated my "slow" progress.
I am still far**ng around with the intercooler plumbing alignment and I think that I have it sorted out, finally! I'll post pics once I get the intercooler back from the welding shop.
As I am putting a '86 interior into a '78 ( gotta have better A/C), certain mods to the dash have to be made. There may be more down the road which I have yet to identify.
There are six main mods to graft an '86 dash bits to a '78-Left and right A/C outlets on dash face, underside cut-outs to accommodate the A/C ducts for the said outlets, enlarged centre A/C outlet, and the replacement of the entire defroster setup across the windshield bottom.
Here are some pics.
Right A/C outlet rectangular dash cut-out.Right side '86 Lower A/C outlet support which I cut out of the wreck. Both sides need to be welded up onto the dash/door frame.

The fire wall (trunk wall??) also needs to be cut out to accommodate the flex ducts to feed the aforementioned A/C outlets. You can see the markings in the first photo above.

Drivers side fitted.

The very big undertaking is grafting the '86 defroster setup from the wreck. Had I wanted a black dash pad, I would have just got an SC dash and I would have been done with it. However, I want to maintain my chocolate brown interior and dash so grafting is the only way to go at this point. You can see the difference in the defroster, moulding and dashpad. As you can see, the '86 defroster outlet set-up is much improved

Chassis is now off to the body shop for final grafting of the dash bits and final paint

Stay tuned.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
did you weigh that CF R. bumper?
Old 09-23-2013, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
RWebb, the GT Racing web site indicates that the FG version weighs 9 lbs. Mine, being what I understand is a discontinued version with CF webbing and FG jell, etc. should be less. I would weigh for you but the body is currently at the body shop.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
no problem

you said a while back you weren't building a light wt. so I was wondering why pay extra for CF over FG

thx for posting the pics to satiate everyone's desires...
Old 09-23-2013, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
RWebb, decision made strictly on price. GT Racing offered it to me at the same price as the FG rear bumper-they were clearing discontinued inventory as I recall. Free weight loss although as you have noted that is not my primary objective. By the way the front bumper is regular FG.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
wow - nice!
Old 09-24-2013, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
We finally got the defroster section from the '86 wreck grafted onto the '78 chassis. A real nice job done by Rick at Bromley's Automotive. Care was taken to only spot weld to avoid any possibility of buckling the windshield frame. Only An expert would think of that.

The remaining body prep will likely be finished by the weekend and I hope to see the final paint on the car early next week.
Stay tuned.
Edit- I get really frustrated with the orientation of the pics when posted from my iPad. This one is correctly oriented on my iPad and iPhone but is turned 90 degrees on my desktop. Guess I should just post from my desktop unless somebody has a better idea.

Last edited by Uwon; 10-11-2013 at 06:40 AM..
Old 10-10-2013, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Watching with great interest!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Great project - nice work....subscribed!

Brent
Old 10-11-2013, 02:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Very nice.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: