Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Retired Member

Garage
I like the cutting board seat improvement. Need to try this on my 32 year old seats. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Subd awesome
Old 01-16-2014, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
It been a while, so here is an update.
Finally finished getting the dents out of the hard oil lines. It's actually a small miracle that we were able able to save them as they were really flattened from the crash and aftermath. Thanks to the great posts and instructions on this forum we were able to heat up the lines under good pressure and work out almost all the dents, even some that were there before the crash.

We also were able to remove the fittings at the t-stat end and replace the nuts from two that I recovered from some old engine cross-over pipes.

I cleaned up an oil tank from a 70's 911 and sent it out to be powder coated. Unfortunately, the coating did not hold well, so I decided to remove it all with paint remover and paint it myself. As this build is not going to be a garage queen, I also decided to apply a coat of Wurth gravel guard to the portion of the tank facing the rear tire.

I have also been busy with lots of background planning, parts search and the like. I can't believe how much time this all takes.

I now have a little problem that I need a little help with. I was dry fitting the fuel tank neck through the fender and it is apparent that there is a piece missing that attaches the top of the neck to the fender. This it a long hood fender and a '86 filler neck. The PET is unclear and as I threw out the crashed fender and I do not have access a 911 nearby this time of year, so I'm hoping that somebody following this thread can post a pic of the fender showing how the neck is secured. See pic below...

Thanks in advance.
More to come.
Johan
Old 02-02-2014, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

I can help with the fuel filler thing.....the neck you show in the picture is from a later car which has a plate that the neck fastens to.

My '75 fender looks just like yours (no mounting points for the neck). My '89 has the mounting point built in and there are a couple of bolts that fasten it. I believe they did it for crash protection.

Personally I would trim off the mounting ears rather having to mount a plate onto your fender....

Dennis
Old 02-02-2014, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Hi Johan,

Nice job on the lines, they look great! On the fuel filler tube, it is just held in place by the rubber molding fitted to the fender. I can send a proper early one up if you like, my sense is you'll need it faster than Hershey, but could also bring it then. Let me know. Having some caps plated, will include one too.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Thanks Dennis for answering within 9 minutes. Cutting the ears off would be a good alternative.
Shaun, isn't the early fuel filer tube slightly smaller in diameter? I'm using the fuel tank from the '86 donor and I really don't want a transition reducer hose. Am I mistaken here?
Johan
Old 02-03-2014, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

I'll measure the one in my 84, 86 and a few early ones I have today Johan.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Shaun, that would be great.
Anybody know an off the shelf green color match for the struts?
Johan
Old 02-05-2014, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Sorry for the delay Johan, car was covered under a foot of snow and I'm shipping Spring right now. I should have just measured my early ones, which come in at 49.5mm diameter. The 86 came in at 51, but it was very difficult to get the calipers in the area while standing in a foot of snow and the hood on your back. So it could be large. What is your diameter?
Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Hey Shaun. No worries. Talk about snow, I took this from our driveway this afternoon. That's a 7 ft. light pole sticking through the snow.

No wonder snowmobiling is great around here . Unfortunately, it gets in the way of the build.
Anyway, I have a filler neck from a '78 which measures 49mm more or less depending where you measure. The wall material is definitely thinner, it still has the ears, but the cap base is smaller than that of the '86. The transition to 51 mm tank neck is not a problem. I think that I'll cut the ears off the '78 like Dennis suggested and repaint it and I'll take you up on a refurbished filler cap. I'll shoot you an email.
More soon.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Wink

I've been getting some nasties from fellow Pelicans for not posting my progress, so here goes.
My 930 rims were severely "gravel rashed" when I pirouetted my '86 into the wall. Over a number of months I worked to file/sand down the hundreds of high points left from the gravel only to be left with four pitted rough rims. For some reason the outside rim edges on all rims escaped damage so I was able to polish them up to their former brilliance.
I was striving for something like a RS look or Singer or Fikse Fuchs and fellow Pelican Flojo suggested introducing some white to silver to get that look. I finally got close to the color with the help of my paint guru, Rob Bromley, in Orillia (north of Toronto, Canada).
With paint sample in hand, I had Carcone's Wheel Refinishing in Aurora, Ontario, do the final prep, paint (mat silver with some white), satin clear coat and re-polishing the edges to get the shine back.
Next, I decided to paint the black inlay around the petals with Rustoleum 7777 that I picked up while at the Hershey Meet in April (can't seem to find the stuff in cans in Canada). Yeah, I also decided to do the pouring method which I first learned about on this forum, rather than trying to tape around each petal, etc.

Two 8x8 wood platforms, a cover from a discarded ceiling fan, and plastic container:

Taped up the holes between the petals with packing tape fully stretched, set the rim on top of the platform, and very, very carefully shimmied the 8x8's so that the rim is absolutely level:

Blocked the lug nut holes with Canadian Loonies (U.S. Quarter will also do the trick) and very carefully poured the satin black between the petals and let it creep ever so slowly until the rim depression at the end of the petals was filled.

Next I carefully cut holes into the tape to let the excess paint out and removed the Loonies. I let it drain and set for several hours followed by what I think was the messiest paint cleanup I have ever experienced. As the paint drains it runs down thee backside of the petals and rim and as it is imperative not to move the rim, I had to work from below to remove the tape and clean up the paint on the backside. Lots of lint free rags and varsol.

The result:

Used a heat lamp to cure.
I'm happier than a pig in sh... :-)
Cheers,
Johan

Last edited by Uwon; 05-06-2014 at 10:02 AM..
Old 05-05-2014, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Johan, those are huge pieces of jewelry! beautifully done! I like the polished outer lip.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Wow. Just wow. You did a fantastic job with the wheels. I'm really glad to see a successful application of the pouring method.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Pretty cool
Old 05-06-2014, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
-------

Garage
I have really enjoyed reading through this thread and look forward to seeing it at the track, I'm sure it's going to get a lot of attention so be prepared .

Thanks again for the great tutoring on the track this weekend.

Paul
Old 06-09-2014, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

WOW, Johan, I just saw the update with the wheel shots. Those look amazing. Excellent execution of that painting method. I was always curious how the line where the paint ends would look, whether it would be crisp or have all kinds of weird surface tension variations. Looks amazing, well done! - Matt

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 06-09-2014, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Retired Member

Hi Johan. After talking with you on Sunday at the track I had to find this thread. All I can say is WOW. I'm looking forward to seeing it when completed.

Brian
Old 06-10-2014, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Oil Cooling System

Thanks guys for all your kind comments. It certainly encourages me.
I have recently completed the oil cooling system which is completely new as the original one was completely destroyed in the crash. The new system basically consists of a new Setrab front oil cooler and two used Mocal oil coolers which I already had and which I mounted back to back in the right front fender along with a new fan. Total cooling area is slightly more than I had in the previous car so I think that I will be Ok.

I even mocked up temporary plugs for the ends of the oil lines coming out of the t-stat and checked for leaks with 35 lbs of compressed air. One less leak to worry about later on.....

Inside of the new front fenders still need to be treated.

Cheers,
Johan

Last edited by Uwon; 06-12-2014 at 07:10 AM..
Old 06-11-2014, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Front Valance Grill

Oh, almost forgot. Also finished the front valance grill.

Got the scrap expanded aluminum from Rennline. Made a removable inside frame so I can replace the grill portion if and when I pick up the inevitable large stone.

Cheers,
Johan
Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
What a great car!
Old 06-18-2014, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: