Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Forum noob - my '88 JDM 3.2

Hey gang, just a quick note to introduce myself and intro my latest addition to the stable. I just picked up a very nice '88 Carrera with a mere 97,000 km on the odometer. Originally a Japanese car, it came over to Canada in 2006 and I'm the 3rd owner since it arrived here. Lacking any records from her days in Japan, but passed a PPI/compression test with flying colours. And no leaks!! I have already run into one small issue, though, and that's some bucking/stuttering under heavy throttle between 3000-4500 RPM - it's intermittent, but I haven't been able to narrow down conditions just yet. Gives me something to work on right away

I look forward to getting more involved with the excellent group here on PP - been a Mini/BMW guy for many years now, but I've finally realized my life-long dream of an 80's 911 (silver with black Fuchs and a whale tail, of course).

Pleased to make your acquaintance!

Old 05-19-2013, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nice car! I am another recent member of the 911 fraternity. Mine is also a Japanese 911 but it's an '86. It also came to Canada in 2006. Enjoy!

Cheers

1986 Carrera 3.2
Old 05-19-2013, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Super nice 911..congratulations.

One thing about low milage 911s..they sat a lot. Condensation in the steel fuel tank is very normal, so when they sit in the garage for extended period of time some rust will develop.

Your intermittent running issue could be a clogged filter screen in the bottom of the fuel tank. Parts are about $50 from our host. Part number 911-201-141-00-M100

The filter is not an maintenance item..it should be replaced every couple of decades.

Replace the "O" ring at the bottom too. Part number 911-201-143-00-M100

I would go ahead and do a full service on the car for peace of mind. All new filters, engine oil, valve adjustment, cap and rotor, gearbox oil, change brake fluid and spark plugs. Change the brake fluid too and check the pads and rotors.

Enjoy your car for many years.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Welcome Aboard!

Before the fuel tank filter, try replacing the fuel filter or run some BG44K thru a full tank.

Also suggest having a spare DME relay, just in case DME is ready to go which control the fuel pump via the DME/ECU.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 05-19-2013, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
SansEau

Garage
Welcome to the club! I bought a Jdm about 4 years back with 113,000 clicks on odo. Did the same PPI and it came back good. It has been very good to me since then. I've done some tinkering and installed a SW chip. It rocks! I like the fact that the JDMs have the fully leather seat in the back. That is unique to the Japan delivered Porsches. The euro rear bumper treatment is also nice.

enjoy!
Old 05-19-2013, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Excellent, welcome, is it RHD?

search motronic stumbling and you'll find plenty. flapper door, sensors, fuel filters, cap and rotor, DME. But once you get it going it is very rewarding.

That's pretty low miles.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks to all for your recommendations! I'm thinking the fuel filter or some BG44K might be the first step, followed by the tank filter. db_cooper makes a good point about low mileage cars doing a lot of sitting, so I'm sure there's a good chance of sediment in the tank. Again, the funny thing is that it's intermittent - came back from a far away place today (about 600km) and no stumbling to be found.

- already got a replacement DME relay in the glovebox
- last oil change was September, but I'll likely do another within the next 4-5 weeks
- valves also done last September
- cap, rotor, and plugs all have about 2500 km on them

m110, the car is not RHD - funny that it's destined for the Japanese market, but still LHD. Does anyone know if any 911's for Japan were right-hand-drive?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
There are some RHD 911s in Japan but the vast majority seem to be left handles.

Im not sure if they were usually not offered as RHD cars or if most just ordered LHD cars because they are "cooler"

Great car. Does your car have the "unusual" Japan spec rear seats? They have a cushion that extends across the middle "hump."

Otherwise I believe your car should be basically euro spec. A little extra power over the NA cars. Enjoy!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Weseeeee911

Garage
Nice car! I've always liked Silver p-cars.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Nice car!
I love these silver coupes!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Very nice silver coupe. Wider Fuchs also. I can't tell from the pic, is it a sunroof delete model? Also, iirc the Japanese spec cars had a similar specification engine as the US spec cars.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Very nice! Congrats! Run the BG then change out the fuel filter. ...then oil. As to Gas Tank filter,..go for it. I checked/changed mine years ago and found a crystal clean filter. Changed it out and sent the old one to an Aussie friend who direly needed it/ Of course, she wasn't a garage queen.

BEST!

Doyle
25th Anniversary Special Edition
Middle Georgia
Old 05-21-2013, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Great car! If that's the one I think it is, from the Burlington Area. I saw it last year and it shows well. The past PO took great care of it.

Congrats!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I think I have the exact same car as you! Silver, '88 JDM, no sunroof coupe!

I had a similar issue to what you described... It only seemed to act up when the car was cold. If I recall, I resolved it with a new cylinder head temperature sensor, but I'll check my notes.

Congrats!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Cheers, guys - yah, I'm so excited to have this in my stable! From what I've read, engine specs for the Japanese cars are identical to North American cars, so no Euro HP, unfortunately.

No sunroof delete - this is a genuine coupe!

For the South-Western Ontario area people, where do you find BG products? Would Sea Foam be just as good?

CMA, good eye! The car did indeed come from a guy in Burlington who was also trying to sell last fall.

TheMentat, maybe a road trip to BC is in order and we can introduce the twins
Old 05-31-2013, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Eva

Garage
So I'm dying to know...is that Camaro an SS? Is it yours?

My family has mid-late 90s F-Body's and I know how they drive...I haven't driven a late model but they look, weigh, and seemingly handle like trucks?

Is this a safe assumption in comparison to the 911?

Am I way off in left field?

"The car has been the cave wall on which Industrial Man has painted his longings and desires." -Eddie Alterman-
Old 05-31-2013, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Smoove1010

Garage
Congrats! So, two cool cars in the driveway? What's hiding in the garage?

Good luck!
GK

Old 05-31-2013, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: