Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Instrument panel Removal

I am struggling with the removal of the tachometer in my 1968 912. The manual says
simply pry out, but the force needed seems to be extreme. Can anyone offer any other solutions.
Thanks Merle, my handle is mybd911
Old 05-25-2013, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

At least on later cars you can pull out an easier instrument then push the difficult one out from behind.
73 Targa (gone but not forgotten)
Old 05-25-2013, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'm not sure what years, but the early years had screw held "L" brackets that held some or all the instruments in place. Tach and speedo for sure. Must be accessed from the trunk if that is the case for 68. Take a look from the trunk side and see if you have them. Loosen the brackets and pull out through the passenger side.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The "pull out option" is incorrect for your 68 912. As stated you must remove the panel at the back of the trunk and remove the nuts the hold the "L" brackets to the back of the gauges. Do the Tach first and you can reach thru the hole from inside to get to the other gauges a little easier. Be patient, it's a real pain !
Old 05-25-2013, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Instrument panel removal

Thanks all, will take your advise. It might be a couple of days before I try. Will advise.
Thanks Merle
Old 05-26-2013, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Instrument Panel removement

You were correct the tachometer is held in with a bracket and is easily accessible from
the trunk side. Thanks all
Merle
Old 06-01-2013, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Been here a while

You can do it all from inside the car, by taking out one gauge, maybe the clock first, and then moving over to the neighboring gauges by reaching in thru the clock hole.

Easier to do it thru the trunk, tho.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
86FlatSix

Garage
Tried removing all the gauges and was easy except for the tachometer. It seems the steering wheel hub or housing is obstructing the bottom part and top is hitting the dash pad. Anybody with the same experience? I was trying to figure out where the bolts of the dashboard are on my 86 and one of the procedures is to take out the gauges. I ended up just turning the tachometer and speedo counter clockwise a few degrees so I could see through my 350mm steering wheel.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

I have the same problem getting the tach out. That black shroud around the steering column seems to block it. It has 2 spots that look the heads of flat-headed screwdriver type screws on the sides. Should I remove them? Or will that make the turn signal switch fall into the abyss or something?
Old 01-31-2014, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Take the steering wheel off first, then remove the two plastic trim pieces. The switches will remain in place.

JR
Old 01-31-2014, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: