Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
SC Mutt

Garage
Targa bar paint or strip for chrome look

Hi all, I have my 1978 sc. Black paint on targa bar has seen better days. I am in the process of a restore on the car and am at a cross roads for what look to go for. I know it's a personal choice but would love all input from whatever perspective and for whatever reason. I am including pictures although lighting is not the greatest in my garage. I did purchase the h4 lights as I like the look. I went for the chrome rings but could purchase a pair of black rings and have painted when I paint the car. I am sticking with the original color which I like a lot.
1978 911 sc copper brown metallic.

Thanks,

Gary

Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It looks like your Targa bar was originally not painted black because your window trim is bright aluminum. My "79 Targa came with the silver brushed stainless steel Targa bar as standarg equipment. The black trim in those days cost extra. In the eighties that was considered cool and some folks painted their silver brushed Targa bar black. In that case the black paint should come off rather easily. You could try paint remover in a small spot and see what happens.
65 912 Coupe Sold
62 356B Coupe Sold
Old 05-25-2013, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I literally started this today! I am stripping it. If I don't like the look I will have a nice clean base to paint.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have seen a few 1978 Targas with the bright trim on the front and rear window, but with black targa bar and quarterlights on the doors. It seems that Porsche got confused. Mine is a 1978 Targa with the sport package, so Fuchs, whale tail, etc and should all be black, but my front and rear window trims are bright and I am pretty sure they are original.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
grateful user

Garage

here is my painted to match bar.
fully disassembled, blasted, customized and restored 75 targa with factory hard top, 993 style turbo ft fenders, steel flares, C2 bumpers and rockers, 82 3.0 sc 9.5/1 engine with PMS flywheel, 964 cams, flowed heads, ssi's short geared 915 w/lsd, polybronze, bilstein,working lambda, modified and highly tuned cis, tensioners, pop valve, backdated exhaust and heater, 2300 lbs. no bolt left untouched. 1970 911E. Nice car but needs a re-do.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Since you asked, my first suggestion is make it the way the factory made it. You did not mention how it came stock, but I assume it was black.

If that is not persuasive enough, than I suggest that whatever way you go, make the whole car match it. So if it you go shiny or black on everything which is more costly/hassle to do? For instance, the trim around the light lenses black? Engine grill?

Lastly, you have a very cool color and I think the black on everything would look better -- I think chrome looks good on the 1970s signal colors (green, orange, yellow) but that black looks better with your more sophisticated color. Either way you will have a great car, enjoy!
SCOTT
Old 05-26-2013, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Targa bar

If you haven't looked at this thread....do so. I think keeping black is the way to go for your car...However, aluminum look is cool to.

Ultimate Targa Thread!
Old 05-26-2013, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Ok, I don't want to hijack this thread. But I did the stripping this afternoon and here are the pics. Decision will factor on how even I am able to get the finish on the metal.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Figured I'd give the stainless look a try. Before and after...

Old 05-26-2013, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANichols1 View Post

Wow, ''after'' looks good.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I think the brushed stainless Targa bar looks good as it was originally intended: To stand out and not hide under black paint. But I am prejudiced, my 79 Targa came like that. But Buzzi endorsed it also:

65 912 Coupe Sold
62 356B Coupe Sold
Old 05-26-2013, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:

Wow, Awesome transformation. Do you have more pics of that car?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I would recommend keeping it metallic, especially as you have brightwork around windows, on wheels and chrome door handles. It looks great with unusual colors...

Old 05-26-2013, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

For your consideration. Here is my all original 1979 Targa without the black out option group:

65 912 Coupe Sold
62 356B Coupe Sold
Old 05-26-2013, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Now that I have I stripped do you guys have any guidance on evening out the stainless steel finish?
Old 05-26-2013, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Isn't your stainless steel Targa bar finished with a brushed surface? That was the original finish for your car I understand. Raw stainless steel does not need any surface treatment. Why don't you keep the brushed finish as is?
65 912 Coupe Sold
62 356B Coupe Sold
Old 05-27-2013, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
SC Mutt

Garage
Here it is. Stripped polished and reinstalled... I will put a couple with the bar pained for comparison. Lighting is not the best in the garage but I hope you get the idea. Please give honest input.
Thanks,
Gary
Old 05-27-2013, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Stripping the paint was easy. Aircraft stripper works wonders. To get the finish even, I started with 215 grit sandpaper and moved to 400 - 800 - 1000-green pad. Honestly, the finish is a bit more polished than I'd prefer. I like the rough stainless look over the polished bar look. I've actually, roughed mine up a bit to my liking. I wanted to match the new finish on the wheels. So far, everyone seems to like it. Targas need to be different to stand out!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wew View Post
Here it is. Stripped polished and reinstalled... I will put a couple with the bar pained for comparison. Lighting is not the best in the garage but I hope you get the idea. Please give honest input.
Thanks,
Gary
Looks good!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Stripping the paint was easy. Aircraft stripper works wonders. To get the finish even, I started with 215 grit sandpaper and moved to 400 - 800 - 1000-green pad. Honestly, the finish is a bit more polished than I'd prefer. I like the rough stainless look over the polished bar look. I've actually, roughed mine up a bit to my liking. I wanted to match the new finish on the wheels. So far, everyone seems to like it. Targas need to be different to stand out!
I think I am going to keep it bare. The bar looks really good on its own.

Would you recommend stopping at 800 grit to keep from going to far towards a polished look?

Thanks!

J

Old 05-27-2013, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: