Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_seven View Post
I am not sure that I like the above thread and I think that a correctly assembled CV should be like this:

You are correct.

The outer race of a CV joint typically has a grove around the outside. That goes toward the outside of the axle assembly.

The star (inner race) has a raised surface on one side. That goes toward the inside. The cage has an edge that is thicker on one side than it is on the other. The thicker edge goes to the outside.

PCA GT-3R #3
Old 07-21-2016, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_seven View Post
I am not sure that I like the above thread and I think that a correctly assembled CV should be like this:

yeah I agree, I just finished messing around with my CV joint for an hour and came to the same conclusion . decided it was not correct only to come back and see Chris's post.

The only thing that Chris's post does not show is the groove in the outer race, As it will go together both ways I have decided to put the groove towards the flange. ( there were in fact resources on the net showing the single groove to the axle side ). looks like I get full movement with both orientations , so this is what I decided..

1. chamfered inner spline surface towards shaft ( also includes slightly raised surface on inner race towards the shaft )
2, Ball cage chamfered edge towards shaft .
3. Outer race single groove towards flange.

I think I caught all the features in my crappy pic. ( please excuse the non cleaned up outer race. )

2014 Audi A4 2.0T Technik (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 07-21-2016, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
boot , constant velocity , cv joint , grease , oil