Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sick Mirror

Anyone help out there..............I have a mirror that only work on one direction up/down - it will not rotate towards the car/away from the car. I have searched all the post and checked out the wiring and I'm convinced all is OK as I have tested with meter etc . The drivers mirror is OK and work in both directions.

The car is a recent purchase the mirror has always been faulty. I'm fast thinking that the mirror motor is at fault - is this likely? or would the whole mirror motor fail to work eg not respond in ANY direction?

As they are an expensive item I want to be sure before I buy a new mirror motor. I did think about "swapping" the mirrors over to prove it a motor issue - but all the wires have been soldered - so it not a 5 minute job

Any thoughts please - failed motor? Thanks in advance

Old 06-02-2013, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Is it only the one mirror and are the mirrors original to the car? The reason I ask is because I too have had these issue with (both) my mirrors when I installed 993 mirrors on my 86 Carrera. At the time I thought this was a good idea, would not do it again.

"If you have everything under control,
you are going to slow..."
Old 06-02-2013, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
bauerjy

Mirror

Mr. H - mine is an '88, so I will answer from that perspective. Has two motors - one for up/down and one for left/right. Could be one of the motors in the mirror, could be the switch/knob connections in the door, or the plastic gears that move the mirror. I have experienced the dead motor (no sound/no movement) and misalignment of gears/ball joint out of position (motor noise, but no movement). I snagged two used mirrors off the used parts forum here and now have three working mirrors (well only two of them are on the car)

Last edited by bauerjy; 06-02-2013 at 05:54 AM..
Old 06-02-2013, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for replies ...........original mirrors - still has 1986 stickers on.

Umm still none the wiser- the motor makes a sound when the mirror is adjusted but only tilts up/down - no left/right - no matter what plane/direction the mirror joystick is moved. Logic says that if the mirror has 2 motors then it can't be a motor fault.......as it would not respond/make a sound to the left/right movement of the mirror adjusting joystick .

Also it cant be a switch/joystick issue as the other mirror works fine and I have traced all the wiring with a MultiMeter and the wiring checks out according to the diagrams..............

Oh well maybe it something I will have to live with - but a pain as it the passenger mirror.........
Old 06-02-2013, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Justin@Athens
These things are a pain to open up and fix, and the part that is almost certainly broken in yours is a little white plastic piece about 10mm long and notched to fit along side a gear driven by one of two small electric motors. The fact that you can hear the motor turning but see no movement is how I can diagnose this with almost 100% certainty. The problem being is that the part you seek is not sold by itself, but as an entire assembly in addition, the specific assembly is most probably NLA.

I would go ahead and source a working mirror and see if you can just move the whole assembly over to your car.

Here is another part that could be the culprit; Broken part, need help

Good luck!
1999 x2 Boxster (sold)
2006 Cayman S (my daily)
Old 06-02-2013, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Mine did the same thing. Turned out to be the joystick switch on the door. Mirrors were fine.
1997 Porsche Boxster Race Car - SPB #94
Gone: 04 GT3, 03 Carrera, 82 911SC, Other non-Porsches
Old 06-02-2013, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
+1 check the connector at joystick, the ground may have dislodged. no ground no worky

Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 06-02-2013, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: