Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Trim - outsied window seal installation

I just purchased new trim pieces for my 911sc 83. I've been rebuilding this car for the past 5 years. I've redone much of the interior, had the exterior repainted and have replaced many of the rubber parts on the exterior of the car. The engine has many upgrades as well, keeping it stock but with the recommended changes. It also has new heat exchangers, not ss, but the heat works again and the windows defog nicely now. The clutch is also new, but I'm still working on getting the adjustment right. Something going on there that is not typical; even my mechanic thinks so.

The exterior window strips are some of the last items to go. I pulled the old ones out. The new ones wont go in just by sliding them in. The question that I'm hoping someone has an answer to is do I really need to take the door apart to replace the seals? Or do the aluminum window trim pieces come up somehow so that I can slide the new seals in place?

Last edited by Red 83 SC; 06-02-2013 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: making more clear
Old 06-02-2013, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The trim piece on top of the door ( exterior) is held in place by 5 (i think) clips. Gently pry up with something that wont scratch the paint. It will pop off.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
What Pete said - actually there are more clips - 8 each side. Gently pry off the strips and the old rubber strip should pull off easily. The new will be probably a little tight - use some silicone spray on the rubber piece and they will slide on fairly easily. I just completed the same project - all the seals were replaced on my car. If you need photos I can post later on - the camera is not in the house right now.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks guys. That was it, carefully pry the molding up and slide the seal on. One of the clips was rusted out on the drivers side, but the other side was all good.

Tom

Old 06-02-2013, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911sc , exterior seals , window