Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.2 exhaust/SSI question

Hi folks:
I have an 87 3.2 with a Steve Wong chip (for cat bypass with or without sport exhaust) and a cat bypass. Otherwise my engine and exhaust is stock. I'm looking for a bit more power and thinking about an exhaust. I don't want anything too loud, but some extra deepness might not be bad! My heat exchangers appear to be in good condition, but I heard that SSIs can add some output to the engine. I'm not sure how that works. Can anyone provide info/advice/recommendations or personal experience that might help me with this choice?
Thanks.
SMS
Old 07-07-2013, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

going the ssi route on a 3.2 probably doesn't make sense $$$-wise, as you'll pay a LOT for the conversion but will only see minimal changes --

1) the header pipe diameter is a bit small for a 3.2 -- while this may help give you a bit more midrange, it will rob some top end.

2) installing ssis requires rerouting of your heat and a oil line -- a bit challenging

3) ssi does away with catalytic converters, you'll likely need to swap out exhaust to pass smog (if you're subject to those requirements where you live)

4) ssi would require you to replace your current muffler with a dual in muffler.

With a steve wong chip and cat bypass, you've probably gone as far as you can performance-wise without getting into big $$$ changes (i.e. 3.6 conversion, increasing displacement on your 3.2 to 3.4 or 3.5, dual plugs, etc.)
Old 07-07-2013, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks

Thanks Darrin. I appreciate sage advice. Especially when it is grounded enough to tell me not to spend the money!
cheers-
SMS
Old 07-07-2013, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I drove my 86 around for a while with only a premuffler and SW chip until I finally decided to give in and buy a B&B 1in-2out muffler. I doubt I'm moving any faster but the change in the exhaust note made all the difference. It at least sounds like I'm faster now, the stock banana muffler is just way too muted. The B&B has a nice, deep rumble and I've gotten a lot of compliments on it. No annoying droning either.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Have you thought about removing weight to increase performance?

Good bang for the buck.
13 RSV4 Factory
Go Yanks!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Organ Donor

Garage
I am happy with M&K premuffler and one-in-one-out exhaust, along with the matching SW chip. Nice growl without drone or inordinate volume. It did save some weight, and the exhaust bits are well made. There was a noticeable increase in actual performance and driveability.

If I were to go though another car, I might try SSIs on an SC or earlier model.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Another exhaust option:
993 HE's on 3.2, flipping flanges

Sherwood
Old 07-07-2013, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
RarlyL8 headers... they have 1 5/8" primaries (available with or without heat) which are larger than the SSI's and well-suited to the 3.2L engine. Then throw on a 2-inlet muffler.... wong chip re-programmed to match.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at exhaust options for my 3.2 and this is the route I will be going. Not cheap parts, but probably the best bang for your buck without touching internals.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Reiver

Lighten the car if you have that bent. The 3.2's started putting on some weight....100 lbs = 10 hp was the old drag racers mantra and pretty close to on the money.
Most SSI's are a great deal for 3.0's and below.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche0nut View Post
RarlyL8 headers... they have 1 5/8" primaries (available with or without heat) which are larger than the SSI's and well-suited to the 3.2L engine. Then throw on a 2-inlet muffler.... wong chip re-programmed to match.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at exhaust options for my 3.2 and this is the route I will be going. Not cheap parts, but probably the best bang for your buck without touching internals.
I like this option myself.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: