Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Undocumented User

Garage
It's possible given all of the pictures the car has had some right side damage and an older fender used so they kept the antenna. My 86 has the antenna in the windshield but since I took the radio out, what do I need an antenna for?

The 915 has a bad reputation I guess because of the way it shifts when the bushings are crap. Even though my transmission had been completely rebuilt the shifting was all guesstimate until I replaced all of the bushings, did Ed's coupler and installed a Seine shifter kit. Given the G50 hype I'm sure that's still the best iteration of the 3.2 cars but the 87~89s are not easy to come by as the 84~86 models.

You can probably get that price down a couple of grand and it would be a fair purchase given the car.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
OCPO

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM911 View Post
Guys, based on the way that the condensor bar stands proud of the front valence leads me to believe that this car has run over a few of those cement things in parking lots.
Based on that and the dent in the gas tank, I think that $22K is a bit optimistic.
That body work will cost well over a thousand to correct, plus the gas tank.
I don't know. This does not look like a perfect car. It is not bad mind you, but he is asking the price of a perfect car.
At the right price, you should be fine.
Agreed, missed that, for the right price dent in the gas tank could be a blessing.
2011 F150 XLT Crew
2006 530xi Billy Boat/H&R's....gone
Old 07-23-2013, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
OCPO

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren-TAG View Post
It's possible given all of the pictures the car has had some right side damage and an older fender used so they kept the antenna. My 86 has the antenna in the windshield but since I took the radio out, what do I need an antenna for?

The 915 has a bad reputation I guess because of the way it shifts when the bushings are crap. Even though my transmission had been completely rebuilt the shifting was all guesstimate until I replaced all of the bushings, did Ed's coupler and installed a Seine shifter kit. Given the G50 hype I'm sure that's still the best iteration of the 3.2 cars but the 87~89s are not easy to come by as the 84~86 models.

You can probably get that price down a couple of grand and it would be a fair purchase given the car.
Same windshield antenna on my 86.

BGX, on the antenna side fender, feel the wheel well bottom flat edge make sure it has the pebbling on so even if its a replacment fender you know its Porsche.
2011 F150 XLT Crew
Old 07-23-2013, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to GBX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storage Man View Post
Agreed, missed that, for the right price dent in the gas tank could be a blessing.
What do you mean by that? I can get a better price because of the gas tank, but dint need to fix it?

Also, since the a/c is blowing but not cold, what's needed to fix that?

Thanks guys for all your help!!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
OCPO

Garage
If the car has been sitting removing the gas tank inspecting it, replacing even is a good thing after 26 years but only if its factored into the purchase price.

The AC could be many things. Has the evaporator/compressor ever been replaced?
Was it converted from r38 refrigerant to r134a?
If not then the system would possibly need to be vacumed and recharged w r134. If not cold blow then expansion valve and dryer replacment. Not to bad $'s and an easy job.

It all can be sorted out but these cars AC never worked very good even on day one. Some remove the AC altogether to reduce wieght and then this becomes a non issue fast...
2011 F150 XLT Crew

Last edited by Storage Man; 07-24-2013 at 01:21 PM..
Old 07-24-2013, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to GBX
So what do you think is a fair offer?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Organ Donor

Garage
This market is very interesting right now. Asking prices are higher than they have been for mid years, SCs, and Carerras, so it's tough to tell what is fair. If you discuss the possible flaws with an objective mind, you might be able to bring them down a bit.

On the other hand, this is a decent driver for this model in an attractive color, and they are not all that common to begin with. $16k seems too low, and 19-21k seems the likely settling point. I could be wrong, but the market is funny and someone might just offer the full ask.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
I have an 86 Targa. Never seen another 86 with a fender mount antenna. Price does seem a bit optimistic, based on condition, mileage and being a northern car.

He is pinching the Freon line with the 2 post in the picture. My 86 had some bone head pinch an oil line on the rear passenger side before I bought it. It caused my car to run a bit warm until I repaired it.

Not sure where you are in the country but my 86 spent some time in Chicago. Rusted fasteners and undercarriage parts are no fun. It has only 44k miles. I have since changed out fasteners and cleaned it up but it took time. My 89 is from Florida with 77k miles and is virtually rust free.

Somewhere around $18k would be a fair price in my opinion.

If your set on it and it passes a ppi, you can bargain down based on.

+100k miles
paint work
incorrect body parts or a bad repair (drilling and installing an antenna in lieu of a correct windshield w\antenna)
a\c shot (normal)
damage under car and to front air dam
car from rust belt
almost no tools, search on ebay for a complete tool kit, you will be surprised how much they cost.

Good Luck!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
No affiliation but I found my 89 Factory Slant on this site.

A few comparable cars to the one you are looking at. The more you know the better, I lucked out with my 86.

Since I see 30 posts, is this your first 911?

Find Your Car: Porsche 911 Listings Near Tampa, FL 33610 - AutoTrader.com
Old 07-24-2013, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: