Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quick question re. torsion bar covers for late 87-89 911

Hey all,

I searched around but couldn't find any good info on this. I'm a new 911 owner and after doing my first oil change today (messy or what?!) I'm looking to get the rear jacked up and sitting on stands.

My question is in regards to supporting the car with jack stands under the torsion bar covers. My car has these larger diameter tubes that run from the cover all the way to the body work, and before placing a stand underneath, I want to be sure I'm not going to damage anything. My car's from Japan, so I'm not sure if this is a difference with the later model year or country of origin, but regardless, anyone else have insight on this? Can I confidently put the jack stands under these and not dent anything?

Old 07-27-2013, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Northern Motorhead

Garage
There is no problem whatsoever using the torsion bar tubes to support your car,everybody uses them at one point ... check your underbody,you might have some jacking pads already welded in to your frame.Not sure which years had them but my 89 does !

Cheers
Phil

89 Coupe,Black,95 3.6 engine and the list goes on ...
1983 944 SP2 race car PCA #96
Old 07-27-2013, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
On the SCs the tubes don't extend that far but they do come out about 4 inches from the plates. I use these to place the stands. It's nearly a perfect fit since my jack stands have a half circle cut into the "cradle".
1992 MB 190E 2.6
2004 Volvo V70 2.5 Turbo (1 of a bazillion imported)
Old 07-27-2013, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Your 88 has jacking pads on the chassis, forward in rear wheel wells and rearward in front wheel wells.
I think using the torsion bar covers at the rear gives you a little bit better balance since they are slightly farther rearward than the jack points. The 88 is a really easy car to change the oil on. I only jack up the car enough to get the oil catch pan underneath. Be sure you have a large capacity catch pan.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Carreras have the jack pads welded into the frame rail, on SCs the lift arm or jack stand would go right onto the frame rail. I think probably everyone I know of including myself uses the torsion bar tube. Completely solid and safe point in which to put the jackstand. Congratulations on your purchase.

'89 CARRERA
Old 07-28-2013, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
For my SC, I am able to do an oil change without jacking her up. I would suspect that by jacking her up, you won't get all the oil out of the crankcase/sump.

The ironic thing about jack stand points, and this applies to just about every car, is that is the same place you are supposed lift the car by. Fortunately for our 911s, we can use the sump plate, along with a piece of wood, to raise the back end.
1992 MB 190E 2.6
2004 Volvo V70 2.5 Turbo (1 of a bazillion imported)
Old 07-28-2013, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blotto649 View Post

My question is in regards to supporting the car with jack stands under the torsion bar covers. Can I confidently put the jack stands under these and not dent anything?
I have used the TB covers for jack stands or the 4 pads that are built into the body. If you put jack stands under the TB cover housing Pelican Parts - Product Information: 901-333-153-00-M260, you may put dents in it - don't ask me how I know.

Mike
Old 07-28-2013, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice, everyone. S2GART, you're so right - even when I was trying to get her up on stands yesterday, I'd lift by the factory rear jack points, but that didn't leave enough room to get a stand in under the torsion bar cover!

The oil change was easy to do without jacking the car - very convenient. I raised up the passenger side a little bit when I drained the crankcase to help the last drippings out of the side. I read a lot of posts about the oil coming out of the tank with some serious force, but I had no idea! Didn't make too much of a mess, thankfully.

Have a great Sunday!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
88 Carrera, Guards Red

Garage
Just finished replacing the rear spring plate bushings on my 88. it was metal to metal contact with the spring plate cover. 80,000 miles. After seeing that I do not think I can bring myself to use jack stands to support the car using the torsion tube covers anymore. the inside torsion tube covers yes. Just my humble opinion but the angles, leverage, and physics just don't feel right to me.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: