Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Organ Donor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post
We both knew why we were on that road. It's like sharing an inside joke.
The right road can be a very friendly thing. I saw an MGB convertible and a 1940s Ford hot rod on a winding ridge road on this recent sunny Friday. Waves to and from each were exchanged.

Last edited by zimmer266; 08-18-2013 at 07:48 AM..
Old 08-18-2013, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
What really brings me to smile is when I by chance pull up to a newer car, 996 or 997, on a back road or not heavily traveled road where he tries to go faster and can't shake my 24 year old sled. The satisfaction is beyond belief when they find out they just got embarrassed by a mostly stock car with half the bhp.

'89 CARRERA
Old 08-18-2013, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

I had to smile reading some of these posts.

My other car is a 944. I learnt early on I'd never get a wave or a smile while driving in that from ANY 911, air-coooled or water-cooled. Not even from the 928s!

Then I bought my 1980 911 SC and discovered that the water-cooled set would still turn up their noses at me. But I suddenly had friends among the air-cooled types.

Thank goodness the Cayenne exists, so everyone can look down on them...
Old 08-18-2013, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh D View Post
I guess I'm just used to the Jeep community where the older the Jeep model is, the more acknowledgement it gets from it's peers.
I hear ya. I have had 2 Jeeps over the years. A CJ and then the JK when they came out. The Jeep wave is like an institution. I even found myself waving at other Jeeps when I wasn't driving mine. I wonder what the other drivers thought....?

On the P-Car side of things, I find it to be completely random. I guess it just depends on the driver and their disposition that day. I once had a guy in a 996 tell me he wished his car looked like mine because it looks more like a real Porsche. I thought that was kinda special.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
BW

Garage
I was pulling into a carwash to do a quick spray of my car when I noticed a 50-something T-Bird pulling past sparkling in the sun. I slowed and craned my neck to look only to see the man and women craning their necks to look at my 911. We both smiled and gave a wave and thumbs up to one another. I think most people that own interesting cars, especially older ones, are generally car nuts.

1989 Carrera--Rebel Racing Suspension, Patrick Motorsports LtWt Clutch Assembly, Enlarged TB, 964 Cams, SSI, Dansk Sport 2-in-1-out, SW Custom Chip, Turbo Tie Rods, Bump Steer Kit, H4s, Vintage Seats RS Replicas, RS Door Cards--and some other stuff
Old 08-18-2013, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
So on the way to work this morning in my SC, I take my exit offramp and come to a stop in the middle lane to make a left turn. So none other than a 993 Carrera RS pulls up to me on my left. Now, I get excited anytime I see ANY air cooled Porsches. 914, 912, doesn't matter. It's aircooled, it's a Porsche. it's cool! But this is a 993 Carrera RS, black with orange accents! Stunning!

So I'm really checking out this guys car, and it is very cool. A 993 RS is not something you see everyday. I'm obviously checking it out and expecting him to look over so maybe I can give him a thumbs up, or whatever, maybe get a thumbs up from him on my car. Dude never once even glances my way! What's up with THAT! Some sort of 911 elitism? I get comments and compliments on my car all the time. This guy in his 'holy grail' of 993's wouldn't even give my car a glance!!
why take it so personally? Is it an insecurity thing? Do you need someone else's approval? You're enjoying your time, just enjoy it and to hell what others say, good bad or indifferent. I understand the brotherhood thing. But maybe he had a bad day.....maybe he simply didn't notice you. Either way, who cares?

I get looks and stuff all the time when I'm taking the car out. I tend to not pay attention because Im not driving it for the attention, I'm driving it because it makes ME feel good. Kind of an 'in the zone' type thing. Sometimes I have limited time, or I'm on my way someplace, and I just don't want to be disturbed. When I first got into the scene, I would wave and stop and all that stuff...and then found myself often engaged in conversations that I really didn't want to be in with people that ranged on the personality scale (like life in general!)....so I decided, for me, that it was better to not get into the conversation to begin with vs exiting from one earlier than the other party might want. Now, if I'm at a meet, or a track day, fair game...I love to talk Porsche, motorsport, and cars in general. Out with friends, absolutely. But in my day to day life, idk, it just leaves me with an uneasy feeling. But that's me. I'm also not the kind of guy that gives other drivers looks or waves if I see them in something I covet - like the dude who lives in my town with the 2 F40's. I see them all the time in his garage (doors up) as I take the long way home. I've seen the cars parked at various places over the years, and I have seen the person get in and out of em. I just don't want to bug him, so I stay silent. I guess I could also just drive an S class and blend in with the rest of the crowds here...

secondly, are you sure it wasn't merely a replica...given the RS was never approved for export to the US to begin with? Maybe he didn't want to get into a conversation about that very topic

Last edited by RennSport911rsa; 08-18-2013 at 09:21 AM..
Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Probably a fake.
I sneak my fake 993 ('79 SC) into the line-up at PCA events, drink their beer, hit on their women, eat their food & leave before they even realize I was there...

Last edited by Danny_Ocean; 08-18-2013 at 03:55 PM..
Old 08-18-2013, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
I always acknowledges other Porsches when driving my beast.

I pulled up to the light and this guy across from me in this worn out hard driven 944 was waiting for the same light. I honked and gave him the thumbs up when the light changed......he got a kick out of it......maybe no one has done that before..

Sign of a true enthusiast.
1974 Porsche 911 (2003 - 2012)
2000 Boxster S (2006 - 2008)
Old 08-18-2013, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post

Off topic, and again, no offense intended, but can you explain that STUPID little head icon? Huh? Let's have the skinny, Bobster. Frankly, it frightens me. Does your head actually look like that?

[img]http://forums.pelicanparts.com/support/smileys/freak.gif[/img.
The STUPID "little" head icon is my real head's actual size. Stupid, perhaps, frightening, definitely.

Blessings be upon you.
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Bad LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Ocean View Post
I sneak my fake 993 ('79 SC) into the line-up at PCA events, drink their beer, hit on their women, eat their food & leave before they even realize I was there...
I LOL'ed!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsEyes View Post
I had to smile reading some of these posts.

My other car is a 944. I learnt early on I'd never get a wave or a smile while driving in that from ANY 911, air-coooled or water-cooled. Not even from the 928s!
How true this is, and sad at the time time. The 911 bunch as a whole is a tough crowd when it comes to the thumbs up on the same marque.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
CARS can't flash or wave or even observe that behavior. PEOPLE can. Gregarious people enjoy the behavior when we aren't preoccupied or in a $*!++/ mood. Some folks just want to be left alone and that should be respected. There's no need to take it personally. We should just feel lucky that we are having a good time by ourselves and feel more joy when others share in that. Is the guy in the McLaren having more fun than the guy in his old VW Beetle? Having fun alone is great, but sometimes its hard to match the joy of sharing. Having said that, I probably had more fun in my old 1958 1300cc Alfa Giulietta. Small, light, and easy on the wallet that little blue roadster was part of great times by myself on the twisties and just driving (or not) around with my girlfriend. No worries, just fun. The quest for faster and more exotic machinery has led to more excitement, often in terms of paranoia, fear, or bankruptcy. Simple is good.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

I get lots of waves in the 928 (its a nice 928)... but rarely from other Porsche drivers... When I drove my Mini (the real one, not the BMW "bigi") fulltime, other Mini drivers would almost fall out of their cars waving to you... but there is definitely a bit of snobbery amongst Porsche drivers sometimes. I think its because some of the newer owners perhaps don't recognise an older Porsche... no offence intended to anyone of course
Old 08-19-2013, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
I always try to give a flash, wave, or thumbs up to any old car that's out driving. These folks are enthusiasts, so let's all enjoy the drive!

I was driving my 914-6 the other day, and a fellow in a new BMW pulled up and just gave a very enthusiastic wave to my little car.

Another true story. A friend was driving his beautiful 72 911 when he had his accelerator coupling fail (yes, it was the original design without the cage). A fellow with a big pickup truck towing a trailer pulled over. Though he had never met him before, this fellow unloaded his Porsche from the trailer, loaded up my friend's Porsche, and let my friend use his pickup and trailer to take his car home. The fellow simply drove his car home with nothing more than my friends cell number and name. However, he did say that he may not have stopped for a new Porsche! Thankfully, there are lots of folks that really appreciate these older cars. Give a wave or headlight flash, it doesn't cost anything and may make someone's day!

84 Targa
70 914-6
73 914-6 2.7 conversion
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 08-19-2013, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

I often miss waving at other 911s while driving, because my car is always trying to kill me and requires some extra attention by me...

I've had two cars play with me lately, one was an S2000, which is normal, but the other was an Z8. Yes, a BMW Z8 driving in anger on the twisties with me. I didn't actually think that Z8 owners ever went above 20mph on the 2 days a year that they drove those cars...

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBob View Post
The STUPID "little" head icon is my real head's actual size. Stupid, perhaps, frightening, definitely.

Blessings be upon you.
And to you.

So it goes.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RennSport911rsa View Post
why take it so personally? Is it an insecurity thing? Do you need someone else's approval? You're enjoying your time, just enjoy it and to hell what others say, good bad or indifferent. I understand the brotherhood thing. But maybe he had a bad day.....maybe he simply didn't notice you. Either way, who cares?
Yep, you nailed it! I'm a terribly insecure attention whore driving an inadequate car.

Give me a break.....

I'm door to door with this guy for the better part of a minute not moving at a stoplight. It wasn't like I pulled up beside him while we were motoring along and he was focussed on his driving and traffic. I guess he was more enamored with the minnie van in front of him at the light. I just made an observation that I thought it odd that a fellow 911 owner, especially an air cooled 911 owner, wouldn't notice or acknowledge another. Was I butt hurt over it? Far from it. Just thought I'd share my observation with the Pelican community, mostly just tongue in cheek. I never referred to the guy as a douchebag, tool, or anything derogatory.

In all honesty, I figured there would be a handful of responses then the thread would fade into non-interest oblivion. Never figured this would turn into a 6 pager! Most responses have been positive, which is good to here. I even received a pm from a nice fellow who believes the the car is one that he knows the owner and assure me the guy is cool, probably not driving the car at the time (it was a caretaker), and invitied me to their cars and coffee when the temps drop to meet him. I thought that was very cool and genuine.

So before there are any more judgements on me for even starting this thread, I'll make this declaration:

I am a fan of early Porsche's. If I see your car motoring down the road, in a parking lot, or next to me at a stoplight, I'm going to check out and admire your car. I'll try and make eye contact and initiate a wave or thumbs up. If you choose not to respond in kind, that's cool. I promise not to call you out on Pelican! Lesson learned....

Last edited by Josh D; 08-19-2013 at 09:04 AM..
Old 08-19-2013, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Ocean View Post

Best reply by far!!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
It's not the car........

Your Porsche is not inferior, it was the other driver that was inferior!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Best reply by far!!
You gotta see the two old guys at the admission gate directing me to the "correct" parking area. Guy on the driver's side asks "what year?" (to which I honestly reply "'79"), so he points me toward the SC's, but the guy on the passenger side (not privy to the "what year" conversation) starts frantically waving me toward the 993's. Discussion ensues... Happens every time.

Last edited by Danny_Ocean; 08-19-2013 at 09:05 PM..
Old 08-19-2013, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: