Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Fuel pump died today

Man, I was having a good vacation. Just got back from the mountains yesterday, went for a drive today, everything was good. Then argghhh, no fuel. Time for a tow truck.

Anyways, I have a 2.7 with PMOs, a Holley Red fuel pump (only a couple of years old), the PMO pressure regulator with return lines hooked up.
I think the Holley Red puts out 8 psi, but I have it regulated down to a little over 3.5.
It is mounted in the smugglers box. It has a funky burnt electrical smell and is only making a few struggling noises. it is definitely not pumping anymore.
I have it disconnected at the fuse panel, so it is receiving no power, for safety.

I need to replace it, I don't think I am going to get another Holley Red, I am not pleased with this one.
I hear the Pierburg is good.
What about the Hardi? It is a little more expensive, but is an OEM part.
Any other suggestions? What about location or anything else since I am in there?

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I studied a lot of thread here when I was building my car.

I ended up buying a Pierburg from Pelican, and then mounting it out in the open for better cooling as others suggested. It now is strapped to the front suspension crossmember.
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html
Old 10-11-2013, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Wayner, I am thinking about relocating mine in the same spot as you, I never really liked the smugglers box location. It's kind of noisy.
I may put the battery there instead.
Why did you pick the Pierburg instead of the Hardi? I read a lot of threads too, and it seems that the Pierburg is a popular choice.
I didn't even know about the Hardi until I looked in the fuel pump section, in the new parts for sale for carbed cars.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Vinyl weenie

Garage
Put it back to where it used to be.....under the tank above the skid plate. Pump for carbs should be cheap....compared to a CIS pump.

PMO makes or has someone make for them a nice one.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Mine used to be in the back, Joe. I moved it up front.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Vinyl weenie

Garage
My 83 has it there.....maybe they did something right. My 70 had it in the rear wheel well.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: