Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Post Targa Tinkering - Rattles & Water leaks.

1. Targa Top Alignment.
Continual readjustment of the underside retaining clips can, over time prevent the front and rear folding bars from locking out fully.
This may cause misalignment of the front latches putting undue stress on the windscreen frame internal catch and latch mechanism - expensive little suckers.
I removed all the black retaining clips from the underside. Fully extend and lock out the folding bars. Re-align the clips up to a snug fit onto the bars in their fully extended position and screw tight. You must be careful that you don't snug one clip up too tight against the bar in turn causing the adjacent clip to stand back off the bar and rattle. It may involve a bit of tail chasing but persist - it'll reward you with a snug fit and rattle free Targa top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg targa-clip.jpg (59.0 KB, 3094 views)
Old 08-16-2002, 02:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
2. Rattles in latch mechanism.

Two things I've identified that rattle - the Latch Handles and the internal Latch Mechanism.

Latch Handles.
This is easy, I simply wrapped a strip of 12mm wide double sided Velcro (to grip tight and onto itself) around the handle stems, overlapping to take up the full diameter of the stem hole then cut the length accordingly at that point. This provides a snug "soft" support along the length of the stem up to the latch mechanism. I then simply inserted the Velcro wrapped stems home with the handle - firm and no rattles. The Velcro sits in there wrapping the stem snug as a bug flush with the padding hole and I can remove the handles together with the Velcro.
*See pics further down below.

Latch Mechanism.
These were tricky. It involves removing the glued down vinyl covered padding from the front folding bars.
Okay, grab a brave moment of pause..... then, go for it! Once removed the latches are from the front bar I peek inside where the internal assembly rattles against the outer metal casing. Using a long handled screw driver for leverage and a bench vice I very gently pried the outer casing out slightly for tension and then compressed it ever-so-slightly warping or distorting the outer casing onto the internal assembly taking up the wear slack. Take your time, checking as you go. As I said, they're expensive little suckers and you dont want to bugger 'em up. This all but eliminated the rattle but to ensure that the internal assembly freely moved and did it's job I dolloped stiff white grease inside which in turn dealt with the innards for any remaining rattles. I then checked, re-checked and checked again (I didn't want to do this job again) for free movement of the assembly. Finally re-assembled and re-glued the vinyl covered padding back down onto the front folding bars.

Last edited by Sean Hamilton; 08-16-2002 at 08:37 AM..
Old 08-16-2002, 02:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
3. Water Leaks.

At the Front Rubber Seal - windscreen. (where most of the leaks occur?).
The rubber seal nearest the side window quater glass has two flaps and these spread apart and flatten out up against the underside of the Targa top. The flap that folds down toward the cabin is the leaky culprit. Over time it's tensile resistance doesn't seal firmly up against the underside and therefore allows water to leak in via capillary action.
You can replace the front seal but I've been put off by the supposedly incorrect manufactured fit of these brand new seals.
Or do what I did. I cut a strip of double sided rubberised tape the length of the flap underside. It's about a millimetre thick by 7 mm wide. I folded this in half length ways to double its thickness to 2mm and simply inserted it underneath the rubber flap. This extra thickness forces the rubber flap to seal up tight against the underside of the Targa resisting the capillary action. Short of replacing the seals, it fixed my leaks immediately.
For how long? Well, my seals are 22 years old and will definitely need replacing at some stage. I reckon I'd get another 3 to 5 years out of them - happily because I have no leaks now.
BTW, I regularly coat the seals with Vaseline to keep them supple and water resistant.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
3. Water Leaks. pt 2.

I now have a water tight, drum tight and rattle free Targa top (crossed fingers)
The only remaining issue is at some stage I may wish to recover the Targa Vinyl...... but later, much later when it's knackered
Old 08-16-2002, 02:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Outstanding presentation...
I'm going to give that a try this weekend... now i just need to find some double sided rubberized tape!

Another problem I've had is a high pitched whistle coming from the top of the drivers side vent window at highway speeds... It drives me nuts...
If I pull down on that side of the top frame, it stops but I can't hold on to it and drive all day...

I think i'll just bite the bullet and have a professional go through it for me.

This will be a great thread for the archives!
Old 08-16-2002, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I've had success with ordinary foam weatherstripping for sealing both rain and air leaks. Some experimenting with thickness and density is necessary, but it's a lot easier than messing with readjustments to the top. It seems like every time you make an adjustment to one spot, it throws something off at another spot.

My Owners Gallery Page

Non illegitimi carborundum
Old 08-16-2002, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
B58/732

Leland,

I'm with you on the whistle. Fortunately for me it only manifests when the car is driven in the rain...a rare thing in my neck of the woods.

I've also found that a squeak develops from the center alignment pin of the rear folding bar. A little dab of grease helps eliminate that.

Finally, I managed to close the gap on my driver's "vent window" between the top of the frame and the Targa side seal. The trick is that the vent window is height-adjustable (a very small amount). Basically I loosened every bolt on the front half of the door--a few good tugs and the vent window moved upwards maybe 1/32-1/8". I was very careful to make sure I didn't knock the window rail (the rear edge of the vent window) out of parallel from the window edge. This also eliminated a bit of daylight that was showing between the front edge of the vent window frame and the seal on the A-pillar.

Oddly enough the driver's vent window is now the same height as the passenger side--which means it was adjusted downwards at some point, or the passenger side was adjusted upwards and the driver's side left alone.

Next up: re-skinning the top.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Post Velcro Stem Wrapping

Old 08-16-2002, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Post Velcro Stem Wrapping pt2

and tape
Old 08-16-2002, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the write up. Great presentation. My Targa doesn't leak water, but there is a little wind noise. I'm going to give the double sided tape a try. AS for the Targa Top latch handles, how do you take them out? Mine have been in place since I bought the car over 3 years ago. I have tried to remove them but I figure if I do they can only be lost.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by pbs911
......Targa Top latch handles, how do you take them out? ......
Thanks Paul, and Leland.
Paul, I think that's what they're designed to do - just snap in and out. Once removed it makes it pretty difficult for someone nick your $6500.00 USD Targa Top. Just give 'em a tug and they'll pop right out. It's what I used to do when they rattled - stowed 'em in the glove compartment. Now that they're Velcro wrapped they're firm, don't rattle and freely rotate.
As for the wind noise - yeah, I'm still workin' on THAT
Old 08-16-2002, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
I'm not here.

Garage
Great thread.

Anyone find a source for the Double sided rubber tape???
Old 01-30-2005, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I have a different Targa top problem - the driver's side front lifts at high speed. This is apparent from a small gap that appears between the top of the vent window frame and the side seal of the top. I believe that this is caused by a worn latch. The passenger side feels firmer to latch, and it does not exhibit the lifting problem. One solution might be a new latching mechanism for the driver's side. ($$$.) Is there an adjustment to tighten the latching action on the driver's side?
Old 01-31-2005, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Sean. Are you still about here? Last I remember you had a bit of an motorbike accident. On the mend I hope?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1997 Boxster 986 2.5l
Old 01-31-2005, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Tom, just install one or two washers between the latch and the frame. It is a bit tricky to get the washer there but I made it and the latch is now much firmer.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to cactusdtd
Sean,

Great posts! For detailed info on Targa top adjustments do a search on this site for Dan Pechtel or carsinc. Dan is a PCA member and an expert on rebuilding/repairing/adjusting the fit on targa tops. there are a few very good posts on this site dealing with Targa tops

'87 Targa
Old 01-31-2005, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to cactusdtd
Sean,

Great posts! For detailed info on Targa top adjustments do a search on this site for Dan Pechtel or carsinc. Also search pca.org Dan is a PCA member and an expert on rebuilding/repairing/adjusting the fit on targa tops. there are a few very good posts on this site dealing with Targa tops

'87 Targa
Old 01-31-2005, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Glasgow 911SC
Hey Sean. Are you still about here? Last I remember you had a bit of an motorbike accident. On the mend I hope?
G'day Chris. I see your SC Hellblau Metalic is still a passion. Fantastic!
I'm still here, keeping an eye on the decorum.
Yep, 2 years ago - me n' my Hog took a slide into a pole at 100k. Still got some bones that wont knit but hey, glad to be standing up and suckin' in the wind!!
Great to hear from you, Chris. Take care!

Last edited by Sean Hamilton; 01-31-2005 at 07:01 PM..
Old 01-31-2005, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Great post.

My top is either on for long periods or off for long periods, so I have never left the handles in place. I always remove them and drop in the console. A twenty year habit is hard to break.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Mine lifts slightly at the center rear of the vinyl and whistles quite loudly at highway speeds. If I push up and increase the gap, the whistle stops.

Also, the plastic "finger" at the center of rear folding mechanism that touches the inside of the targa bar squeaks like a thousand angry mice when the roads get bumpy. Any fixes for these?

Dave
Old 05-25-2009, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: