Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thanks for the post MTemp. Nothing freaks me out as much as a "coiled spring"!

1972 911t
1999 328is
Old 11-04-2013, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Functionista

Tool for removing linear bushings inside Bilstein strut housings.

Consists of a washer that is just a bit larger OD than housing ID. Cut it in half and drop pieces into strut on top of smaller washer that is held in place on top of nut threaded onto 3/8 inch all thread. Add piece of pipe on top with another washer then nut and start turning until removed.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Made this tool to take the slack out of the chains when I was setting the timing.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
For removing the oil line on the bottom of the oil tank in the fender on a 72. 36mm socket, not pretty, but pretty glad it worked.

1972 Targa, nothing matching.
Looking for motor 6124265 and transmission 7720299
Old 11-04-2013, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to ischmitz
Special wrench to hold the tranmission outout shaft of a 915. An old clutch disk center and parts from a bedframe....

I repair/rebuild Bosch CDI Boxes and Porsche Motronic DMEs
Porsche "Hammer" or Porsche PST2 - I can help!!
How about a NoBadDays DualChip for 964 or '95 993
Old 11-04-2013, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
There must be more

This thread just gets better with time, really appreciating the effort people are putting in ,to show their or others engineering (?) talents, some simple, some quite complex, but helping others out there where tools are just too expensive for the one off job,or you cannot get hold of a specific tool in the location you live.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

here are the bearing race "pusher-inners" that I goober welded together out of the old races and some square tube:

Put the hubs in the bbq for 15-20 mins, the races in my garage fridge, and was able to gently tap the new races in

'00 4Runner / '85 LeCar / '88 Iltis
+ a whole bunch of boats
Old 11-05-2013, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
I built this press out of 2 x 4 and threaded rod. Used it to press the pin out of the shift linkage and press it back in afgter replacing the bushings. Worked like a charm!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
My hinge pin removal and install tool.
Using a slide hammer I have removed the pins in my doors, and actually sold a few in the process. Made out of high strength steel.

08 GT3 RS (white/black) (modified of course)
67 911S
Old 11-05-2013, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
My hinge pin removal and install tool.
Using a slide hammer I have removed the pins in my doors, and actually sold a few in the process. Made out of high strength steel.

08 GT3 RS (white/black) (modified of course)
67 911S
Old 11-05-2013, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Brake Bleeding wrench

For bleeding the brakes at the track without removing the wheel or jacking the car.
Simple and effective.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Transmission main shaft nut remover. Wrist pin tool welded to a 1" drive socket that fits over the shaft. I hold the shaft with a used clutch disk bolted to my bench.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Dask knob bezel remover

Circular spanner for those special knob bezels on the mid-sixty's dash:

Old 11-11-2013, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Here is a dolly that 2 jackstands ride in for when the suspension is disabled and wheels can't be installed. The jackstands can slide side to side for different spacing.

Not recommended for use while working on the car, but handy to be able to move it.

-C
Old 11-11-2013, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

MacGyver lives on! Love the thread, subscribed.
Mods include: Kokeln IC, GHL Headers, Hooligan muffler, Modified K27 7200, BL WUR, LC-1 & XD-16, Bilstein Sports (4), TRG sway bars, Oversize torsion bars, Strut brace
Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

I think the hose clamp on the omega spring is fantastic!

911 SC - 1980
911 S - 1977
Old 11-14-2013, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardsred911 View Post
I think the hose clamp on the omega spring is fantastic!
Thanks J!
......and a minivan for the crew
Old 11-15-2013, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Good thread. I have a handful of these. Nothing real ingenious but maybe can help some other people nonetheless.

First three are brake related. This one is for tight access on the rear calipers when using regular hex head bolts. It's a 3/4" (same as 19mm) 12 pt. socket ground down to shorten it and give you more room to turn the socket handle. Socket flex handle is a key component of the tool because most ratchet heads won't fit in the tight confines between the trailing arm and brake caliper

Second one is similar to the one above but it's used when you use socket head bolts instead of regular hex head bolts. The wrench is important here too. A long 10mm ratcheting wrench speeds up the tightening or loosening grief.

This little wood triangle is the 20 degree caliper piston "tool" for setting the position of the piston step

Here's a simple tool for installing transmission input shaft seal inside trans bellhousing. It's a PVC tee that is the perfect size! P220/221 was the name my buddy Jay gave it as a tribute to the best Michael Keaton movie ever, Mr. Mom (220, 221......... whatever it takes) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX3kxAA2L4Q

This one is for installing the transmission output flange seals. Simple piece of threaded rod (had to use a coupler since my metric threads weren't long enoug) and of course plumbing PVC pipe union/coupler and flat cap

Old 11-15-2013, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Here's some more. Simple cylinder hold downs made out of copper tubing leftover from plumbing work (no, i'm not a plumber..... actually a civil engineer)

Here's a real high tech one. A claw style seal remover that fits inside the trans bellhousing. I used a hacksaw and cut a regular seal remover down to size. Looks like a joke tool but it works.

Here's a cold chisel I "precision" ground (bench grinder for the win...) in the curved shape to fit in the stupid slotted caps on the external thermostat. You use the chisel like a screwdriver but also put a wrench on it.

Here's another chisel trick. Instead of using a hacksaw, or die grinder/rotary wheel cutter for cutting braided stainless hose? Go buy a big giant masonry chisel with the protective handle. Sharpen it on the bench grinder (as you can see, the grinder is a critical tool in my garage!) really sharp. Put the chisel on the hose in a very sturdy place (on the floor on a piece of wood for instance), hold it down firmly, and smack the chisel top REALLY hard with your favorite BIG hammer like a 4 lb sledge. Cuts the hose fantastically. Tip courtesy of anplumbing.com

http://www.anplumbing.com/page/11

Last one is the collection of simple strips of metal used to hold up conrods and timing chains so you can assemble the engine case halves w/out those rods & chains getting in the way too much.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
...and my blue mistress

Garage
This is indeed an awesome thread, great innovation.

So here is one I just made tonight.... This is my crank pulley turning tool. I can go 120 degrees in one stroke and have plenty of leverage to do it smooth and easy without accidentally shooting past the pulley marks. Makes a valve job a breeze.

Ingredients: 1 ratcheting box end 17mm, 1 park tool bike pedal wrench. Little torch action on the wrench to bend it to clear the fan pulley. Im not winning any welding awards any time soon but this is the kind of function over form thing I can weld.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: