Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
Head surface jig:

Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Valve seal install tool:

Old 04-28-2014, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Valve spring compressor used on over 600 heads:

Old 04-28-2014, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
I do valve adjustments on my 2.7 911 a couple of the tougher chores got to me. One was crank position.

Getting the crank in the right position can be trying and knuckle busting. I usually use a 19mm ratchet end wrench. But it is not long enough and I have to reach in behind the engine and grab the wrench......in moving it I often bust my knuckles on the engine saddle.

I dug in the back of my tool box and found a 19mm cheapo ratchet that I don't use very often and decided to put a longer handle on it. It is a double end ratchet so I cut it in 2 and used the 19mm end and welded a longer handle on it. The overall length is now 22 inches, but I could cut it down to 18 or even 16.

I offset the handle slightly so it can be seated squarely on the net and still clear the upper pulley.

The internals of this wrench have a plastic layer so I had to weld in quick tacks in order not to melt the inside. It is not beautiful, but it really works.

Here is the wrench in the engine compartment. You can see it is a bit long, but with the ratchet it makes it very easy to move the crank to the next top dead center position for the next cyclinder.

RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990
Old 04-28-2014, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Banned

^^^ Love it and am going to copy it (hope you don't mind)!
Old 04-28-2014, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
^^^ Love it and am going to copy it (hope you don't mind)!
GO FOR IT!

Makes the job so much easier. Everything is right at hand!
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990
Old 04-28-2014, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
356-914-911 dolly

I needed a dolly that would ....

A) have a wide enough wheel base to span the opening in the center of my trailer (that's where the ramps fit)...so no tricycle was possible

B) have large enough solid wheels to both roll freely in the shop and also roll in my driveway (got to get it to the trailer) and onto my trailer ramps

C) use chassis attach points that would allow me to add or subtract suspension/steering/drivetrain (assemby or dis-assembly)

D) breakdown for storage into a small corner of the shop when not being used

E) allow for use with multiple early chassis 356-914-911

Yeah I know Stoddard sells one that bolts together in minutes...I didn't like it, what can I say

This was pretty inexpensive to build, easy to weld up, uses std size and wall thickness square tubing, and the locking casters were a deal at HF. "Cupped" rear inserts work for 911-356 torsion bar tubes, and a different set of inserts work for 914s. Front supports catch the pinch welds on the front sides of the floors on all chassis. All verticals are height adjustable.

Last edited by speedo; 12-23-2017 at 11:34 AM..
Old 12-22-2017, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
Carrera hydraulic tensioners tester..........

The tester was conceived when I was trying to evaluate the failed Carrera hydraulic tensioners for my recent engine rebuild. The key for evaluating a Carrera hydraulic tensioners/s is to achieve a good way of priming the oil into the tensioners. John W. suggested using an oil hand pump as shown below. Two (2) pairs of brand new Carrera hydraulic tensioners from out host failed the tests simply because they were not properly primed with oil using the immersion method.

Soaking and immersing the tensioner seems not to work well compared to the JW priming method of using an oil hand pump. The new sets of tensioners using the JW method passed the tests. So how do you test them? A 2.5 feet long bar was used to compress the tensioners with added weights. A bad tensioners would collapse with little test weight/s.

Using an arbitrary test weight, the tensioner collapsed (failed test):

More test weights added and tensioner still held up (passed test):

This was priming the tensioners using a oil hand pump:

Our host was very generous for allowing me return the first set of new tensioners and replaced them with new ones. While both of the new sets failed the tests initially, there was nothing wrong with the new tensioners. It was later discovered that proper oil priming was very critical to getting the new tensioners to work. Using an oil hand pump like shown in the above pictures provided a good set of properly primed tensioners.

Tony
Old 12-23-2017, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Cr@pcan Rescuer

Garage
Tony, I love your tensioner verification setup. I want to test my existing tensioners before I put them back in my engine so I may pick your brain soon, if its ok with you.

Crank holdin' tool made from one of those generic engine stand mounts.

/IMG_20161229_191649_Medium_1514083746.jpg[/img]
[img]http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads26

As you can see by my paper transfer method I got 6/7 holes right. Good enough for me.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
More than happy........

Jose,

PM me anytime. I also have a similar crankshaft holder on my engine stand and vise too.

Tony
Old 12-24-2017, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Tool for marking then cutting a circle on a curved surface.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
This is all fantastic info.
(Even more so someone who just bought his first 911!)
Old 12-27-2017, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Betcha can't have just 1

Garage
had 3-5" puller but needed an 8-10"...3 bucks in flat bar and ...

Old 12-27-2017, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

I like this. In fact I like this a LOT. Thanks Dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicklague View Post
I would love to have the Dave Kirk valve lash tool, but they seem to be in short supply. I made my own from a story on Rennlist that actually works extremely well.

Same theory as the other pro one, but a little simpler. that is a flat screwdriver tip at the lower left end of the tool. The "V" is 36 degrees. You tighten the adjustment screw and then back it off 36 degrees and lock it in place. the thread pitch is 1mm , so 10th of a revolution or 36 degrees is .1mm.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Betcha can't have just 1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyt911sc View Post
The tester was conceived when I was trying to evaluate the failed Carrera hydraulic tensioners for my recent engine rebuild. The key for evaluating a Carrera hydraulic tensioners/s is to achieve a good way of priming the oil into the tensioners. John W. suggested using an oil hand pump as shown below. Two (2) pairs of brand new Carrera hydraulic tensioners from out host failed the tests simply because they were not properly primed with oil using the immersion method.

Soaking and immersing the tensioner seems not to work well compared to the JW priming method of using an oil hand pump. The new sets of tensioners using the JW method passed the tests. So how do you test them? A 2.5 feet long bar was used to compress the tensioners with added weights. A bad tensioners would collapse with little test weight/s.

Using an arbitrary test weight, the tensioner collapsed (failed test):

More test weights added and tensioner still held up (passed test):

This was priming the tensioners using a oil hand pump:

Our host was very generous for allowing me return the first set of new tensioners and replaced them with new ones. While both of the new sets failed the tests initially, there was nothing wrong with the new tensioners. It was later discovered that proper oil priming was very critical to getting the new tensioners to work. Using an oil hand pump like shown in the above pictures provided a good set of properly primed tensioners.

Tony
Thanks for posting this Tony, I just ordered 2 new tensioners for my rebuild. I'm making one tomorrow! cheers

Old 12-27-2017, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Best thread EVER!!!
Keep 'em coming.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
I made myself a 36 degree stubby screwdriver just like the one Mr. Lathe showed, except I put the angled rod on a collar with a winged set screw, which allows me to rotate the angle on the screwdriver and place the angle at the best position for the required visual reference. Follow up with feeler gauge confirms it yields a good result. I like the 19mm crank pulley ratchet. Great thread. John in CT.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry, meant Mr. Lague.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

I am building an engine stand using an old electric wheelchair. I can raise or lower the engine by raising or lowering the seat of the wheelchair. Engine yoke mounted on the platform of wheelchair deleted seat. Will have pictures when done
Old 12-28-2017, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
Toe measurement tool

Fab...

3/4" copper pipe (3/4" = minimum diameter---needs to be stiff over entire length)
Elbows are soldered parallel (or measurements can be off.)
Probe faces are perpendicular (or measurements can be off. Pipe cutter works well.)
Make for rear track dimension (front is sure to fit)
Height of short legs = 1/2 total wheel height

Using...

Car on flat & smooth surface...
(For the fanatical---add driver's weight to driver's seat then check ride height is even on both sides before dealing with toe.)
"C" goes under front of tires (lightly) with one probe-end touching rim...
At other side, measurement to wheel rim from probe-end is taken.
Move "C" to rear of same wheel and take 2nd measure (measuring probe should land on wheel's rim in same position as first measurement point.)

Looking at toe IN setting at front wheels.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2, '79 Anthracite 930
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: