Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dyno - Burns Stainless Cans vs. Magnaflow 2-in-2 Out

If anybody has ever considered going to Burns Stainless cans, here are the side-by-side dyno results vs a Magnaflow. This is on a 3.4, 10:5.1, GE60, 46mm PMO's.

Both are bolted to the same 1 5/8" European George Racing Headers, and both run 2.5" tubing following a 2"<2.5" expander off the collector flange. The red line is the Magnaflow 2.5" 2-in-2 out. The blue line is two Burn Stainless 2.5"/4.5"/12" (photo)

The Burns cans only picked up a couple peak HP and ft lbs of torque at 6600 rpm, but at 4300 rpm it was 9 ft lbs Tq and 6 hp higher. The burns were a little higher across the entire curve.

Believe it or not...The Burns cans are quieter than the Magnaflow up to about 5000 rpm, maybe due to the crossover. At 5K, they start to sing a little loud, but it's a much cleaner sound...less "drummy". The Burns do have a drone around 2500-2700, but nothing like the M&K, and only slightly worse than the Magnaflow.

Overall opinion...A lot of money for a little HP, but the extra Tq in the mid range is really usable and the sound is awesome. Losing 15 lbs at the very tail end is nice too!

Volvo V60 - Daily Driver (I love it!)
997 Turbo - FVD Exhaust, GIAC Tune - 542 dyno hp on 93 oct
Old 11-20-2013, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

Good info Craig! Perfect timing for us here as we're looking for a muffler solution for the DZ Tours RSR.
Megaphones are a little loud for anything more then Sunday Mornings.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 11-20-2013, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I was actually a little disappointed at how quiet the Burns are. I expected better. The only way I've gotten to know my neighbors is because they come over to complain about my cars scaring their horses.

Volvo V60 - Daily Driver (I love it!)
997 Turbo - FVD Exhaust, GIAC Tune - 542 dyno hp on 93 oct
Old 11-20-2013, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Looks good Craig! Jack Burns is my neighbor and builds all my exhausts. There's none better and his welds are like jewelry! Here he is measuring up a special creation for one of my racers. Tip for you if you have not already done so. Replace the fiber packing with stainless "scrubble" that will sound better and last longer. The standard fiber material will break down over time and fuse into "rocks" that will rattle in the cans, it will sound like a broken weld. The scrubble will eliminate that problem.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

burn muffler

how much bunt part nr.?
Old 04-09-2017, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

hallo ,my header obx 1 5/8 for sale $350
Two Borla Muffer 2'5" and two clamp 2,5' $470
Old 04-23-2017, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: