Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Recommended tires for a 911 SC??

I am restoring my 81 SC and am currently looking at tires. I have ohtsu Zexius xi 427's on it ( V rated), which I did not buy. I am assuming that they are mediocre all season tires.

I was looking to spend around 150 - 250 a tire and was looking at Michelin As3 sport pilot's Y or sport pilot ps2 ZP's, which run around the high 100's per tire.

I need something that is sticky, but not a race slick, seems most of the driving happens on the street. I live in Washington state, most of my driving is on the dry pavement, but it does rain here alot, so I do need something that disperses water.

I do not care about the wear rate much, because I put very few miles on the car a year.

Anyone have any recommendations on tires?

Yancey
Centralia, Washington
1981 911 SC (Guards Red)
Old 12-29-2013, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Would help to know the rim sizes As a " general " rule a summer performance tire with a treadwear rating of 200 will grip quite well. Go to Tire Rack online and view performance tires and the reviews good place to get a baseline. I like Bridgestone RE11's but there are lots of good tires out there from Dunlop, Yokohama , Michelin , Continental just to name a few.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
'84 911 3.2 Chiffon Coupe

Garage
Yancy, I have the same xi-427 tires on my car, also purchased by the PO. I've found them to be remarkably un-remarkable tires. I'll be installing a set of the Michelin AS3 next spring. I'm going with those rather than the PS2's because I drive year-around and the PS2's (being a Summer tire) don't grip well at cooler temps, say 40°F or below. That won't work for me, as I drive a fair amount at or below that temp. The AS3 (being all-season) should be fine for those temps, and the reviews I've seen so far all indicate that it really doesn't give up much compared to most full on Summer tires.

"Honestly now, did you spend your youth dreaming of someday owning a Nissan or Mitsubishi?" - Porsche ad from early '90s
Old 12-29-2013, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Coram Deo

Garage
Here's one perspective

Tire and Wheel Approvals - Porsche Service - Service & Accessories - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

What does Porsche approval mean?

Porsche N spec Approval. Understanding it When Choosing Tires
Old 12-30-2013, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: