Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest

IMHO, don't fix it if it ain't broke.......unless of course you are upgrading or changing the motor to a later model.

Your original slip-on hose is for "LOW - Pressure" only as with the carbureted models.

Early steel tunnel lines like yours do not have a bump or flare to keep the hose from slipping off under pressure.

For the higher pressures of Fuel injection the lines should have at minimum the bump combined with a Norma clamp or the best combination using a crimped sleeve like this.....

Hope this helps.

Len

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 03-10-2016 at 09:30 AM..
Old 03-10-2016, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Oooops, forgot the crimped sleeve photo......

This is the hi-pressure outlet hose for the later fuel pumps.

Len

Old 03-10-2016, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Weekend Worrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Guy View Post
I bought replacement lines from the host and planned to do this job a few weeks ago but I just couldn't see how in the world I was going to make the rear connections just outside the tunnel with way to many things in the way and zero room. How do you guys do this? What am I missing? I am thinking I'll wait till next winter when I plan to pull the engine and transmission. But, if there is a way to do it now I'd prefer that. Any advice?

Mark
As Len said- if you support the engine and transmission with an engine jack in the front, and remove the transmission support- there is enough room to tighten these. I re-read my thread tonight ( I made this over a year ago so I've kind of forgotten all about it) and there was no mention of tightening the rear connections you mention- therefore it must not have been a big deal (otherwise I'd make a 10,000 page essay with photoshop on it - making fun of myself ). I did this myself with no guide wires or helpers or anything and the engine and trans and front steering rack were all in place. It was a worst case scenario, and it went pretty smooth. Good luck.

Last edited by LEAKYSEALS951; 03-10-2016 at 04:25 PM..
Old 03-10-2016, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Okay- so I am going to replace my main tunnel fuel lines tomorrow. Any sugges...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterGT View Post

Oooops, forgot the crimped sleeve photo......

This is the hi-pressure outlet hose for the later fuel pumps.

Len

Hi Len,

Sent you an email regarding lines for our 78 911SC Targa. Package should arrive in your mailbox on Friday. More details in the original email.

Cheers Trevor

Can't wait to add my own adventure to this thread. Yes I have been given the go ahead by LS951. It ought to be entertaining since it will almost follow the OP's opening page with the exception the rack is out, however it will be "outside on jack stands" in true bushokie fashion....

Bugs

Sent via Jedi mind trick by the cat

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912

Last edited by bugstrider; 03-10-2016 at 05:25 PM..
Old 03-10-2016, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Thanks Len, and sorry for highjacking...

I bookmarked this, saved it, and will print out all the pictures!
Old 03-11-2016, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAKYSEALS951 View Post
Yup. You heard me. Main fuel tunnel lines. Whoopee. Len made me a set of awesome replacements and it's time for them to go in.
(scraped hands/ knuckles/ cussing/) Ron
Hey Ron, do you have a parts list for all the fuel lines? I contacted Pelican, but they didn't really help me that much.

Thanks,

Rod
Old 09-10-2016, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Rod.ez -

I may be able to provide that info. I am Len at Autosportengineering dot com

But please, NO pm's.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Hello Len. I need to replace a few fuel lines on my new-to-me 912E, but I decided to replace all of them while I'm at it.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

I need to do this. My tank and motor and trans are already out of the car.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_D View Post
No better time than now!

With the engine, tank and trans out it took my buddy and I maybe 20min to run the new lines. Just dont take the old ones out until you have the new lines. Len will supply a fitting used to connect the old to the new. You should order the 4 grommets for the tunnel lines ahead of time as well.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_D View Post
Definitely do it now.

My drivetrain is out of the car while I convert to EFI, since I was replacing the fuel lines, pump, and injectors; I sent the tank out to be refinished.

I found the job to be a little difficult, mainly due to a lack of space in my garage and I found that the whole job required a surprising amount of force to work the rubber seals loose and to pull the tunnel lines through. The front lines wouldn't be bad with the tank installed, I actually installed the tank right after the tunnel lines to ensure that my pump and fuel lines were routed properly. But I couldn't imagine doing the rear lines with the drivetrain installed.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

i'm going to replace the tank, the painter has commented more than once that the gas in it was incredibly rotten. That's sort of a tip-off, so I am going to replace the entire fuel system. Maybe it's expensive but I think it'll be worth it.
It may be a while before I actually get to the point where I'm ready to do it. Lots of other things to do first- electrical, brakes, motor, interior.. about the only thing I don't need now is paint
Len, I sent you an email. May as well get this on the schedule.

Last edited by Mick_D; 09-12-2016 at 07:01 AM..
Old 09-12-2016, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

I wanted to use Len's lines because they can handle ethanol. Which is more than enough of a reason to replace them.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Question for Len or anyone who has used his lines on a 3.2 Carrera: I bought the tunnel lines and the supply and return lines which attach to them in the engine compartment. What do I use to adapt from the new supply line (12mm female flare I guess?) to the bottom of the fuel filter? Looks like I need some sort of flare to straight adapter??? I'm not finding anything...Thanks!!
Old 12-05-2016, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Hi Rick,

Got your email and will send out the correct M14 adapter in the morning.

For anyone interested, when replacing the Green Metal Hardlines at the rear firewall of a 3.2 Carrera with hose, you must remove the M16 Female Flare fitting at the filter inlet and substitute a M14 Male Cone fitting.

This allows the standard M14 Female Hose fitting to connect.

Len

Old 12-05-2016, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Len is the best!
Old 12-06-2016, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Okay- so I am going to replace my main tunnel fuel lines tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Thread bump-------
The car, a 78 911SC Targa with 262,561 miles

Ok fellow pelicanites,

Rather than start a new thread, I am going to bump this bad boy so we can have an all inclusive reference thread on this topic. If the OP would prefer me to start my own thread I will with no worries. My wee brain just tells me one super thread might be better than a bunch of different threads.

I too have begun the arduous task of replacing my fuel lines from the tank to the motor. All solo like the OP way back when.

Yesterday, I gave her a sun shade, put it up on jacks so it now looks like a hover Targa, leveled it and then cleaned under her so I have a semi clean place to lay. Not to take away from the OP's plight in this task, but I'm also doing this outside, LOL.

Today, I pulled out the interior, not only to make this job a little easier for access but I will be replacing the seats with period correct newly recovered leather seats with biscuit warmers(to be wired later).

Utilized the box wrench light tap method to remove the stock shifter knob. Slipped right off without issue.

Although in my defense, I did wrap the 16mm in a thick cloth to protect the knob and rod from damage.

I did discover that while removing the console, my defunct AC controls needed to be removed. Since I didn't have the wizbang German funky screwdriver/wrench dealio, I improvised with a splash of PB Blaster and a small regular screwdriver. The retaining washers popped off without incident.

Now, in looking at the original lines, they don't look all that bad but no idea the condition of the inner tube. It's a gamble but I'd rather know new lines are there.

However, a giant fireball for a car does concern me. So the fuel line changeout is more piece of mind since the car is 38 years old and today's fuels are a tad different that yesteryear.

The pro's: front rack is out
The con's: engine and transmission are still in. This is my last day off before going back to work so I will try to do a little each night if I get the chance.

So the adventure begins....

Cheers and thoughts welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 06-27-2017 at 09:09 PM..
Old 06-27-2017, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Hope you have the M14 Female connector. It makes pulling the new lines through much easier. Support the trans at the front & drop the tranny mount. gives you room to work.

Len

Old 06-28-2017, 01:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
Okay- so I am going to replace my main tunnel fuel lines tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Thanks Len,

I want to say that you included one of your custom female M14's in my line package from you last year. Fuel line artwork to be honest. I'll check when I get home. So far I have only located a single metal securing tab for each fuel line. And those are located towards the front on the tunnel between the center console and the trunk area. 78 SC

Does this sound correct? I always thought there were several.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 06-28-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Old 06-28-2017, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Fuel line replacement threads didn't start in 2017. Check the archives. It reduces redundancy. Add new info on this thread.

Sherwood
Old 06-28-2017, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: