Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest EUR DME in US G50 engine?

I have an US spec 1988 911, which burned the DME due to a voltage regulator problem. The DME is beyond repair, I sent it to one of the DME repair gurus in my area and when they opened it it was black and may actually have caught fire.

I've been trying to find a cheap replacement but it seems these things are really hard to find. To make it worse, I live in Portugal and most of the units I could find will be EUR spec. I did find one recently but the part numbers do not match:

Mine: 0 261 200 082
Found: 0 261 200 078

I did search on the forums and found a lot of information on the subject, and based on several threads about ECU's I should be able to switch the ECU's between US and EUR, but the 078 seems to be for the older 86 model and will not have the O2 sensor connections.

Can anyone confirm this, or point me to someone I could buy the correct ECU?

An alternative could be the Canems ECU's (Canems Engine Management Solutions), they manufacture modern drop-in replacements ECU and the cost is a bit high, but not as high as a new DME directly from Porsche. Anyone has experience with this ECU's?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to ischmitz
Contact me. You can get your DME repaired. I have had some very bad examples on my bench and they were still fixable. See here for an example:

This one was repaired and is working just fine.

As for a replacement DME I can help out, too. They key is to make sure the replacement DME has the O2 sensor circuitry equipped. Then it is only a question of what chip/software you would like to run. The ROW is a little more aggressive compared to the U.S. specification.

Best,
Ingo

I repair/rebuild Bosch CDI Boxes and Porsche Motronic DMEs
Porsche "Hammer" or Porsche PST2 - I can help!!
How about a NoBadDays DualChip for 964 or '95 993
Old 02-24-2014, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi Ingo,

Thanks for the reply, I will contact you. My goal here is to keep the car as standard as possible, I do not race with it and I'm not interested in more power, I just want to be able to drive it during the weekend as I used to do =)

Ricardo Loureiro
Old 02-24-2014, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to ischmitz
Ricardo, sounds good - I just sent you an email with some more information.

And by the way, sorry that you didn't come to this board on a happier occasion. Still, post some pictures of your car and let us see some nice shots of Portugal. Where about are you? I have been around the Iberian peninsula a long time ago via Inter-Rail and enjoyed Portugal a lot....

Ingo

I repair/rebuild Bosch CDI Boxes and Porsche Motronic DMEs
Porsche "Hammer" or Porsche PST2 - I can help!!
How about a NoBadDays DualChip for 964 or '95 993
Old 02-24-2014, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Northern Motorhead

Garage
Ricardo,

I believe you just found your DME guru,it's incredible how much knowledge there is on this forum,i'm sure you will be happy !

Cheers
Phil

89 Coupe,Black,95 3.6 engine and the list goes on ...
1983 944 SP2 race car PCA #96
Old 02-24-2014, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hopefully I'll be able to update this post with a huge thanks to everyone who helped me get the car back on the road!

I'm from a town called Coimbra, home of one of the oldest universities in the world in continuous operation (established in 1290). It's 125 miles north of Lisbon and around 40 miles from the beach, where I took this photo:

One of the cool things about Portugal is that if I drive those 40 miles to the other side I have beautiful mountains, with great roads.

My 911 is a commemorative model from 88, the one with the Ferry Porsche signature on the headrests, this edition celebrated 250,000 911's ever made. According to info I found in this forum, 875 were built, 300 came to the US and of those 300 only 80 were targas.

Unfortunately that's not my garage, I live in a small flat and only have a one car garage which fits my Porsche and a few tools.

I'm a die hard Porsche fan since I was a kid watching Porsche win le mans races, rallys and even dakar. To me it was obvious that I had to own a 911, and so I always drove old used cars to save money to buy a 911. I was lucky to spot this model in very good condition in 2008, and so far I had to replace the crankcase seals due to an oil leak, and now this problem with the voltage regulator.

I knew this forum a long time ago, one of those "long time readers" but only now decided to register and post.

Anyway thanks for the help so far, hopefully I'll be able to help the community in any way possible.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

muck-raker

welcome aboard...beautiful car, and beautiful country. Always wanted to surf in Portugal. Maybe someday................

Deny Everything; Admit Nothing; and Always Make Counter-accusations
Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hello Ricardo and welcome!
Can't help with the ECU but like to tell you that I spend few holidays close to Coimbra, in Praia de Mira years ago and for sure visited Coimbra.

Portugal is a great country with lots of very nice people.
Have still contact to some I met on the beach years ago.

Good luck with the ECU!

Falk
Old 02-25-2014, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Update on this thread. After talking with ischmitz I decided to take a few photos of the DME so he could have an idea of the damage I was talking about. With just the pictures ischmitz said he had a pretty good guess where the problem was and he should be able to repair it.

Since the DME was pretty much useless here, I decided to send it. After it arrived, ischmitz managed to repair and test it in just 2 days! Overall it took just over a month, blame customs both in US and Portugal and long transit times.

Due to my professional life it took me a few more days to travel to the repair shop where the car is since it's located 70 miles away (for guys like me who live in a small country 70 miles is a lot!), and the mechanic took a few more weeks before he installed it. Guess after almost 1 year in the repair shop, it was not his highest priority.

But today, he finally fired it up and I'm extremely happy to say my car is alive again! There are still some damage to repair, (rev counter, some light relays, nothing big), but I believe it will be fully operational in the following week or so.

I simply cannot thank ischmitz enough, he was extremely honest and helpful during the entire process. When you love a car so much as many of us do, we like to make sure every repair is made with as much attention to detail as possible, and even without ever talking to ischmitz over the phone, his level of knowledge of this devices and friendliness in every email exchanged is a role model that should be followed by every business. Not only did he promptly answered every question I had e even explained me a lot of details of these DME's that make them so particular, and why the repair failed here in Portugal.

I also have to thank everyone at this forum that until now had been "only" a source of information to me, and now I feel I must do everything possible to feed this community.

Overall I feel like the DME's on the 80's 911 are a real problem in the years to follow, electronics have a limited life and it's just a matter of time until no parts are available. Hopefully something changed this cloudy vision to the future of these great cars. Until then I'm really happy to know there are still honest and competent people out there to help us.

Oh, and just before you think ischmitz asked me to post this, I know if may sound like one of those paid testimonies, but I can assure you it was not. After almost a year without the car this was the best news I had in a very, very long time.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
carrera 3.2 , dme