LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Less brakes, more gas!

Garage
Spewing Oil out the Exhaust?

Car: '82 ROW SC Track Rat
Engine: 3.0 9.8:1 Full rebuild in last 20k miles

Put the car on stands for 6 months while I slowly took care of some undercarriage issues (wheel bearings and brakes). No motor work at all and it ran great with several track days just prior to putting it up.

• Last week I hand turned the engine to get some slow moving oil flow as I knew I would be starting it this week.
  • Last night I pulled the fuel relay and used the starter to crank it for a few cycles to build some oil pressure prior to actually starting it.
  • Had some trouble starting it, but it kicked over and idled fine. Smokey of course and I expected that since it had been sitting for awhile.
  • Went in to get a drink, came back out and it was spewing oil out of the exhaust on to my work bench.
  • Shut it off ASAP.
  • Hell of a mess to clean up....

Ran great w/ no oil spew prior to putting it up. When it was up it is lower in the front than in the rear if that makes any difference. I noted oil drips at the exhaust /muffler flanges so I know I have oil there now.

Thoughts?

Old 03-26-2014, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Go to the "Is my car warmed up" thread, the oil in your tank seeped past the oil pump and into the crankcase, given enough time all the oil will seek the lowest level. It happens the quickest with pure synthetic oil, followed by semi and dino. My plane did the same when I ignored it for a long period, oil seeped through the oil pump, filled the crankcase and one rear cylinder, causing a hydro lock. Lucky I always rotate the prop prior to starting, al,la, radial style engines and found the hydro lock prior to start up. Pulled the plugs and rotated the prop until the oil puked into the muffler and the took it out for a spin with new plugs, smoked for a few minutes then cleared up nicely.
So don't worry, drive it for awhile to clean it out and kill the local mosquitoes.
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Last edited by ClickClickBoom; 03-26-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Old 03-26-2014, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I think it is telling you its pissed off that you left it on jack stands for so long. Put some miles on it I bet itll clear up
Old 03-26-2014, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Are you sure it is all oil? Sometimes condensation can form and accumulate water in the exhaust over time.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Agree .if sitting long enough the oil can get into the exhaust system.
Had one do the same thing.Depending on how much is in there it can take forever to burn away idling or under normal driving.
What I did was take the car out and wind it out in 1st gear to 6000 a couple times. leaves a good stain on the road so careful where you do it .
Old 03-26-2014, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You said some trouble starting it .you had some oil mix gas in the muffler.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I just bought a car that has not ran in almost 4 years. I had pulled off the heat exchangers, and both of them were FULL OF OIL! I cleaned them the best I could. When I did finally get the car running, it smoked really bad for an hour or so. I've been driving it a week now, with no oil leakage, or smoking since then. I guess these boxer motors need to be ran often to keep things like this from happening.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

and the is why we drive our cars ...
Two-wheel art: Ducati 907IE, Ducati 851
Old 03-26-2014, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
Drive it at night.....
Old 03-26-2014, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Retired Member

My car has been stored since November. I was in the garage last week and saw a trail of oil and a large puddle under the car.
Last year when I started it in the spring The engine smoked for around 30 minutes after a spirited drive.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yup same thing here. My 78SC does it, but my 87 3.2 does not. Not sure why the difference.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Less brakes, more gas!

Garage
Yeah I suspected that was the issue. Messy stuff that oil. Still cleaning it up.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Expert

Garage
Interesting. My "garage find" SC sat for over ten years and didn't have any oil in the exhaust. Of course I didn't try to start it right off (and still haven't due to other issues) but it was full of oil.

A weird thing I did notice after pulling it out of the P/O's garage was that there was only an oil spot about the size of a quarter under it; practically zero leaks in all those years.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Less brakes, more gas!

Garage
Mine was tipped forward (rear higher than front) so I think the oil leaked out of the tank and down the S hose into the case... or something like that...

Old 03-27-2014, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: