Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smoky Mountain Region PCA

Garage
Sunroof Panel Fabric

My '82 911's headliner is in perfect condition. However, the fabric covering the interior of the sunroof has sagged and is a little scuffed. I'd rather install new fabric rather than just tighten-up what I have. I've seen the threads on how to remove the panel, recover it, etc., but my question is this:

Is the black perforated fabric an item most any auto upholstery store would carry, OR, is a "kit" available with a small piece of fabric sized to just cover the sunroof panel? I do NOT need an entire headliner kit as the remainder of the headliner is perfect!

Thanks,
John
Old 04-12-2014, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have bought a headliner from these guys, excellent quality. They also sell headliner fabric
by the yard @ $21.99. They also ship free! Check them out, should solve your problem.

BLACK VINYL HEADLINING

Good luck,
Grant
'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa
Old 04-12-2014, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwanna View Post
I have bought a headliner from these guys, excellent quality. They also sell headliner fabric
by the yard @ $21.99. They also ship free! Check them out, should solve your problem.

BLACK VINYL HEADLINING

Good luck,
Grant
Thanks for the information. I also found that Pelican has it for $20/yd plus shipping.
Thanks again,
John
Old 04-12-2014, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
John, the panel has a seam across the middle which creates a tab on the back side. The tab is supposed to be glued to the frame cross member to avoid the sagging.
Hope this helps
Johan
Old 04-13-2014, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
John, the panel has a seam across the middle which creates a tab on the back side. The tab is supposed to be glued to the frame cross member to avoid the sagging.
Hope this helps
Johan
You're right-on, Johan. I pulled the panel and the tab had released from the cross-member. The glue seemed rather "gooey" and not firm. Curiously, it was stuck pretty well around the periphery of the frame, but still peeled-off with little effort.

I think I read somewhere that "3M Advanced Headliner Adhesive" is almost fool-proof to hold, especially resistant to heat. I may try that.

John
Old 04-13-2014, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
John, from the 3m website it looks like this is the best product for vinyl and metal. Also has the high temp prerequisite.
3M Super 77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive: spray aerosol adhesives, adhesive aerosols, aerosol spray adhesives product information, 3M U.S.:*3M
Removing the gooey from metal is one thing but removing it from vinyl to be re-used may be too difficult. Perhaps get your wife or significant over to hand sew in a scrap piece of fabric folded over the gooey portion (probably a bad suggestion!)
Cheers,
Johan
Old 04-14-2014, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Don't use can glue it sucks. Any upholstery shop has good glue in a pail. Take a small glass jar and have them put a little in and then apply with an acid brush. Call GAHH they'll sell you just the sunroof section I'm sure. Clean everything well, don't leave sticky old glue on the metal.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I had the same issue in my '81.
Bad chaffing and sagging.

I was able to source some material from a local upholstery shop that was very close to original.

I sewed the tab on the back with my machine at home and installed with DAP contact cement. Still holding up great after 10+ years.

If yours is just sagging at the center, clean well with lacquer thinner on the back side and frame.

Apply a LIGHT coat of brush able contact cement and reattach the headliner.

Not a huge deal.

Cooper
Old 04-14-2014, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I thoroughly cleaned the metal frame to get "goo" off. What a job! I tried Goo-Gone, acetone, xylol, etc., but ultimately brake cleaner and a green Scotchbrite pad did the job best.
I've got new material on the way ... I'm going to get my local upholstery guy to sew the tab on for me. According to 3M, their 77 spray is only good to about 110F and their Headliner spray is supposed to be good to 170F. DAP contact cement is rated to 180F so that sounds promising! I'll ask the upholstery shop if they have something better (they do a lot of custom cars and boat work, so plenty of experience!).
Thanks for all the input!
John
Old 04-15-2014, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaustinmd View Post
I thoroughly cleaned the metal frame to get "goo" off. What a job! I tried Goo-Gone, acetone, xylol, etc., but ultimately brake cleaner and a green Scotchbrite pad did the job best.
I've got new material on the way ... I'm going to get my local upholstery guy to sew the tab on for me. According to 3M, their 77 spray is only good to about 110F and their Headliner spray is supposed to be good to 170F. DAP contact cement is rated to 180F so that sounds promising! I'll ask the upholstery shop if they have something better (they do a lot of custom cars and boat work, so plenty of experience!).
Thanks for all the input!
John
John,
DAP will work well for the sunroof cross member.
The link I gave you reads 3m 77 but actually links up to what I intended, being 3M "80" Rubber and Vinyl Spray adhesive. It's good to 200F. I am going to use the 80 to do the entire roof insulation and head liner on my project.
Johan
Old 04-16-2014, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
fabric , headliner , panel , sunroof