Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
What adhesive for rear bumper seal?

I've found a few different adhesives here on PelicanParts, but I'm not sure which would be best for the rear bumper seal that goes underneath the reflector on impact bumper cars. I realize it's a high temp area.

Suggestions?

Old 04-13-2014, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
It isn't, it is held down by the bolts and a screw behind the decorative rubber button into the bumper then the tip is held in place by the bumperettes, if you need to work on the bumper or impact struts, it will be a mess to remove the adhesive.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 04-13-2014, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Other threads spoke of an adhesive that attaches it to the car, not the bumper.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Really, strange, it really does not need it. I guess if you removed the bumperettes, then you need something to hold the end onto the bumper? Strange
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 04-13-2014, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You're referring to the seal that goes between the horizontal topside of the bumper and the bottom of the rear Porsche reflector, yes?

If you buy a new replacement seal, it's got a peel-and-stick adhesive attached which sticks to the body trim underneath the reflector panel. For the curved sections that wrap around underneath the tail light clusters, I just used some quick dry crazy glue. Just finished this a couple weeks ago, but holding up well so far.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Oh snap nevermind, just got eye surgery, ignore pleaseeeee
PCA/POC
Old 04-13-2014, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blotto649 View Post
You're referring to the seal that goes between the horizontal topside of the bumper and the bottom of the rear Porsche reflector, yes?

If you buy a new replacement seal, it's got a peel-and-stick adhesive attached which sticks to the body trim underneath the reflector panel. For the curved sections that wrap around underneath the tail light clusters, I just used some quick dry crazy glue. Just finished this a couple weeks ago, but holding up well so far.
Did you use the seal that's for sale here on Pelican?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

If you are re-using a seal, or the new seal comes without adhesive pre applied, I would use 3M Black Super Weatherstip adhesive.

Apply to both surfaces and let it flash off before you press the two surfaces together.

Should be fine once bonded and sandwiched between bumper and rear apron.

Cooper
Old 04-13-2014, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Thanks, Cooper.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
1984 Porsche Carrera

Im replacing this piece at the moment but mine looks too long it looks like it is supposed to finish in the groove at the bottom of the tail light housing recess mines a little longer than that can you show me a pic of yours in place to see if Im doing it wrong?. Its the same length on both sides and is a genuine part so Im a little confused.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: