Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
How rough is rough relating to body panels?

My P10 base arrived for my rear deck, upon opening it up and inspecting it, there are a few issues. So my question to the group who have installed aftermarket body parts is:

Are these parts always rough and in need of considerable additional work for proper fit and finish?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912
Old 06-27-2014, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Some more than others. Depends on the brand and on the part.

JR
Old 06-27-2014, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Thanks JR,

On the P10 base I found the center mounting tabs offset, requiring modification of the lower, such as completely cutting off starting over with fresh glass. It misses the bolt by 1/2 a bolt width. The very top edge is extremely uneven requiring a solid 1/8" to be sanded off only one side as well as serious sanding to get the entire top even. Looks like a curvy road if you look down the edge.

I guess I expected that I would need to do some finish sanding and surface prep but was unprepared to need to do some tab reconstruction with glass and resin. But this being my first aftermarket body panel, was unsure if this was the norm.

1978 911SC Targa
Old 06-27-2014, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

That doesn't sound like one of the better parts. They are not all that bad...

JR
Old 06-27-2014, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Kinda what I was thinking. From phone conversations with the company, it sounds as if all the parts are like that. They were telling me how to do the repairs myself.

Alignment problem for grill mounting

Mounting tabs:

Top middle:

Bottom middle:

Top edge: kinda hard to see the unevenness;

High side:

Unevenness in thickness:
R/side

L/side

1978 911SC Targa
Old 06-27-2014, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It really depends on the supplier. I bought some fenders and a hood from a fairly we'll know supplier and they were such crap that after fiddling with them for weeks I put them on eBay for half what I paid for them and went to steel fenders and a different supplier for the hood. If the company you bought from has a name that starts and ends with a G then quit while you are ahead.
1963 356B T6 Coupe / 1962 356B T6 Cabriolet
Current projects - 1955 356 pre-a Speedster / 1964 356C
Old 06-27-2014, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
How rough is rough relating to body panels?

Should I run far and fast for the hills if it begins with a B. and ends with an S.? Lol. Did a more comprehensive test fit with lots of pictures and notes. Will be shipping it back for a re-evaluation on their end. I'm afraid once I start chewing into the material there is no returning it for a better fitting/quality one. I'll let them look at it and get back to me. I hope that works...

They have been very professional on the phone regarding my questions and concerns. That's a bonus.

Some test fit photos

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 06-27-2014 at 08:05 PM..
Old 06-27-2014, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Get your money back and buy one from someone else.

JR
Old 06-28-2014, 02:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Sent it out today, now the refund battle begins. This was the only supplier I could find that provided this style of wing.

Any suggestions?

1978 911SC Targa
Old 06-28-2014, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Talked with the owner, who said they would make it right. Waiting to hear back from them after they get a chance to look at the letter and pics with the actual piece.

1978 911SC Targa
Old 07-03-2014, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
never ending projects

From what I see in those pics I personally would opt for a cash refund. It's unlikely that the quality of subsequent replacement pieces would be significantly better than what we see now. Good luck with the project

Old 07-03-2014, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: