Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hiding the sound insulation

Any ideas on covering the insulating material on top of the engine room to achieve a nicer appearance?
Old 07-01-2014, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you might try some of that thin silver duct tape. not the old stuff that is grey, the newer stuff that is out.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 07-01-2014, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Vintage Motorsport

Garage
I bought my pad from here on Pelican. They use a black foam. It's not original but you won't have the viewing problem. I haven't installed it yet so I can't be certain.

Richard Newton
Old 07-01-2014, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Spray paint it black?
Old 07-01-2014, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Because of how it attached, it's almost impossible to hide. But like stated the new ones are black, but I can still see mine.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I put a plastic strip along the edge. It was held up by the metal tabs. I guess it was 50mm wide and fairly stiff plastic. The sound deadening gave up and started falling onto the engine so I pulled it all out. I don't think it did anything as the noise levels in the car are about the same as before. There is a sound insulation thing that goes under the back seat area. This may do something as I think a lot of noise comes off wheels as well as the engine+exhaust.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks folks, I will definitely try out some of your suggestions.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Years ago I removed the old hideous looking decomposing sound insulation in the engine compartment and found that it was doing little good. Wife did not notice so I never replaced it.
Saves weight too if that is important.
Cheers,
Johan
Old 07-02-2014, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Quote:
Years ago I removed the old hideous looking decomposing sound insulation in the engine compartment and found that it was doing little good. Wife did not notice so I never replaced it.

Cheers,

Johan
There is a guy here in Denver making a really cool plastic item to hide the pad called 911 Pad Keeper. His name is David at cmrdce@aol.com. Saw it at a local show and may get one myself. Tim
Old 07-06-2014, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I got one of the aftermarket foil-coated pads from Pelican. Prior to installing, I got some ~1/2" black hose, slit it length-wise, put it over the leading edge, and clamped that into the retaining clamps. It looks fairly clean.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

yes, this 911 Pad Keeper by David Etter (owner/founder/inventor) in Littleton, CO has the right product for all you 911 owners
"911 Pad Keeper" system for Air-cooled, Rear Engine 911 Porsches. The sound deafening pads above the engine that have issues breaking down over time

911's
those built between 1965 and 1989
and 964's from 1989 through 1994
and 993's from 1994 to 1998

to install this 911 pad, just takes 5-15 minutes to put on

I have it installed on my 993.
His website will be live in a couple of weeks. 911 Pad Keeper
I've been in contact with him daily, helping to share the good news of his product.
~ Facebook Page

Last edited by dedes; 02-18-2015 at 07:19 AM..
Old 01-12-2015, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
+1 on the 911 Pad Keeper. I installed mine late last year and love it. Easy to install and really cleans up the look. Don't think I'll ever have to worry about it sagging again. David Etter is a huge portion doozy just did a really nice job creating this product for a good price.
Quote:
yes, this 911 Pad Keeper by David Etter (owner/founder/inventor) in Littleton, CO has the right product for all you 911 owners

"911 Pad Keeper" system for Air-cooled, Rear Engine 911 Porsches. The sound deafening pads above the engine that have issues breaking down over time

911's

those built between 1965 and 1989

and 964's from 1984 through 1994

and 993's from 1994 to 1998

to install this 911 pad, just takes 5-15 minutes to put on

I've been in contact with him daily, helping to share the good news of his product.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
Cheers,
Johan
might want to have added protection with the 911 Pad Keeper by David Etter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfblue View Post
Any ideas on covering the insulating material on top of the engine room to achieve a nicer appearance?
Gulfblue, check out the 911 Pad Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmoore View Post
There is a guy here in Denver making a really cool plastic item to hide the pad called 911 Pad Keeper. His name is David at cmrdce@aol.com. Saw it at a local show and may get one myself. Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmoore View Post
+1 on the 911 Pad Keeper. I installed mine late last year and love it. Easy to install and really cleans up the look. Don't think I'll ever have to worry about it sagging again. David Etter is a huge portion doozy just did a really nice job creating this product for a good price.
Hi Tim, David just told me you bought one for your SC...and you're one of his Testimonials.......
~ Facebook Page
Old 01-12-2015, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Dave & Tonya

Garage
I used a piece of 1/2" aluminum angle stock from Ace hardware, put it over the edge and held it in place w/ the clips. It stiffened it up nicely and prettied up the exposed edge.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Yea I love the effect and look.

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Quote:

Quote de Uwon

Cheers,

Johan

might want to have added protection with the 911 Pad Keeper by David Etter

Quote de Gulfblue

Gulfblue, check out the 911 Pad Keeper

Quote de tkmoore

Quote de tkmoore

Hi Tim, David just told me you bought one for your SC...and you're one of his Testimonials.......
Old 01-12-2015, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Any pics of this 911 Pad Keeper installed on a car?
Old 01-13-2015, 12:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Old 01-13-2015, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Nice, where can I order this? The 911 pad keeper website is not up and running.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Here are some testimonials for the 911 Pad Keeper

Website isn't "LIVE" yet, will be very soon. Stay tuned for it.

911 Pad Keeper
The 911 Pad Keeper is the Only product available to solve
the 33 year old "Foam Sound Pad" problem on the
"Air-Cooled" Porsche 911.
The 911 Pad Keeper is a product designed to cover the
Sound Pad in the engine compartment.
Over time, the sound pad degrades and self destructs
.....and sags, inhibiting performance and making the
engine bay look ugly.

MODEL ............YEARS.................SOUND PAD ATTACHMENT

911.............1965 – 1989........Glued to firewall and secured with five metal tabs

964.............1989 – 1994........Glued to firewall and secured with four pushbutton fasteners

993.............1994 – 1998........Glued to firewall and secured with five pushbutton fasteners

All is fine with the pad when new. However, over time the pad deteriorates.
There are a number of factors that contribute to its inevitable deterioration:

1. Heat

2. Oil fumes

3. Fuel Vapors

4. Age

~ Facebook Page

Last edited by dedes; 02-18-2015 at 07:19 AM..
Old 01-13-2015, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Nice, where can I order this? The 911 pad keeper website is not up and running.
Website isn't "LIVE" yet, will be very soon. Stay tuned for it. 911 Pad Keeper 911 Pad Keeper

Quote:
Any pics of this 911 Pad Keeper installed on a car?
see my post above, before this post for some testimonials / pictures of before & after
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540964 View Post
~ Facebook Page
Old 01-13-2015, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: