Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post
I would. Mine had the same. Can you imagine breaking those without anti-seize on them?
And...off to my FLAPS! Makes sense...any idea about how much torque to put on the lower bolts and upper nuts?
Old 07-26-2014, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
I just saw that in the Bentley. Rear shock absorber to trailing arm is 125 Nm (92 ft lb). Rear shocker absorber to body (M10) is 25Nm (18 ft lb).

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Yep, I've got this little book from Porsche with every spec on the car. Thanks for confirming. How the heck can you get a torque wrench on the top of the shocks? Especially the right side? My engine isn't out (sighs with jealousy)? Isn't the bushing at the top of the shock supposed to act as a stop? See Porsche 911 Rear Shock Remove And Replace | RVB Precision.

Quote:
I just saw that in the Bentley. Rear shock absorber to trailing arm is 125 Nm (92 ft lb). Rear shocker absorber to body (M10) is 25Nm (18 ft lb).
Old 07-26-2014, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Hmmm... I see your point. I have a set of gear wrenches that were perfect for removal. I just put the gear wrench over the nut and then grabbed the square end of the threaded rod with a small pair of vice grips. I would use the same approach for tightening and just check it with a torque wrench using a deep socket. I dunno... I'm thinking out loud without being in front of the car.

Next week I'm on a business trip and get to stop by and pick up my re-valved shocks from Chuck Moreland. Last time I did that the TSA guy at SFO wanted to know what I was doing with a box of suspension parts. At first I thought I was headed for a body cavity search. Turns out he was just a car guy.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by garment View Post
Yep, less than a Jackson spent at the Freight, and the bolts are off! Thanks fellas!

Next question though - the bolts at the lower shock connection appear to be coated in copper anti-seize. Should i be re-applying here? The anti-seize appears fresh after all these years, amazing...any thoughts?
Just be aware that anti-sieze ,never-sieze,coppercoat or otherwise known as many other names can seriously affects the torque of any fastener that requires a torque value to tighten,a coating of grease (non graphite) or engine oil will not comprimise the specified torque .
If you ''cherry red'' a bolt with heat it no longer useable @ its rated tensile strength.
I personally like a lick of grease after cleaning up the thread on the bolt.

Last edited by porschetub; 07-27-2014 at 12:42 AM..
Old 07-27-2014, 12:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: