Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Wow! That car is worth at least $50.00!!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
Junk

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Vintage Motorsport

Garage
I just had some rust taken care of on my '73.5. You will not believe how expensive this project is going to be if you do it correctly.

On the other hand with today's prices you might come out even. If you can get $100,00 for the finished car.

Richard Newton
Exhaust System Material

Last edited by RichardNew; 08-07-2014 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: link
Old 08-07-2014, 02:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Rear seat buckets are infamous for rusting on the longhoods. Water weeps down the rear window channel and makes its way under the rear seat into the bowl and just sits their and eats away. Add the wire retaining clips underneath and that spells more danger. This of course happens over decades.

Yours is not all that bad.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
See post #22.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 08-07-2014, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Eva

Garage
So...

I know a guy who wanted to restore a Hemi 'Cuda with the promise of making all his $ back and then some, in much better shape than the unit in question. It shined and drove.

He no longer has a wife, house, money, or the car...

RUN
Old 08-07-2014, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

What is wrong with all of you! Give the guy some hope. How many of you started a restoration on what you thought was a great car only to discover the rust was much worse than you imagined. At least this guy knows how much rust he has to deal with and hopefully paid an appropriate amount.

OP I for one applaud your effort and wish you nothing but the best. When I started my 912 I Had no idea how much rust I was dealing with but it turned out way worse than I expected. Good news about rust is that once you've taught yourself the basics of welding and of cutting and shaping a piece of metal (neither of which are terribly difficult) then it's all pretty much the same problem solved the same way every time. The only thing that distinguishes your car from a slightly less rusty car is the amount of time it will take to do it.

PS I can't help but note that the original poster hasn't reappeared. I do hope this wasn't a joke - 'cause then I feel like a real ass.
1963 356B T6 Coupe / 1962 356B T6 Cabriolet
Current projects - 1955 356 pre-a Speedster / 1964 356C
Old 08-07-2014, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Usually I'm the grumpy old nay-sayer sort. But some of you guys might be just a little harsh.

Can't deny that it looks seriously rough at first blush, but let's see exactly what he's got before final judgement (VIN#, and the motor if the guy comes up with it.) Maybe the rust is all on the outside (though that door bottom doesn't give hope). Maybe he gets a motor complete with 2.2 alloy stacks. Maybe that's a nice straight set of deep sixes (though look a little 14ish in the photo). Maybe all the good stuff is there. And maybe the guys a talented welder. Who knows?

Last edited by Daves911L; 08-07-2014 at 09:33 AM..
Old 08-07-2014, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I don't know guys. The OP should really go through some of the restoration threads out there. He can easily be in for close to $50k on rust repair alone. Before Paint, Engine and Interior. Then lets talk suspension. I don't think folks are being so much harsh, as they are being realistic. There is a LOT of rust on that car.
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1965 Suzuki k15 Hillbilly, 1975 Suzuki GT750
Old 08-07-2014, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Loving the optimize in here! I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet. However I plan on stripping it down clean it up and box up the usable parts. Then I will make a list of what needs replaced, what it will cost to do so, then I will see whats missing and make a list. Then add up the cost of everything. Then compare it to what it would cost to start with a cleaner tub.

With that said coming out of left fled, My original plan when I was looking for a 911/912 was \to build a RSR style restomod. I wanted something that I could cut up and not worry about it. I planed on making this car a year around DD, I have no plans on restoring it Sorry to all of the porsche purest. Its to far gone... That said I still think it maybe a good start for what i'm planing on doing to it. It will be a franken porsche of sorts, I will be using 996/997 c4 suspension and drive train. I have not decided on an engine but it will probably be water cooled. I will possibly use a miata floor pain and trans tunnel I have not taken any measurements. I am a fabricator by trade so all metal work will be easy. My main concern is the roof the rest of the tub does not bother me. I plan on caging the car and deleting the sun roof. However the windshield frame/ wiper panel is rather bad and may need to be replaced rather then patched up. So do I go with steel or fiber glass? I will go with fiber glass panes but I think the doors and roof should be steel. As I would like to reuse all of the glass.

I pulled to of the wheels and put a set of miata tires I has laying around on them to help get the car on the trailer.

Little did I know one of the rear wheels was locked up and had to go back to the house to get the jeep to pull it on as the hand crank was not enough for the job. Thankfully the car was on 20 min from me.

and its home.

The jeep looking pist as the car is in its spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jittsl View Post
That's going to be quite a project. Keep us updated.

For the record this is what i love about the current demand for anything long nose! It means anything is a possible restoration. A few years ago none of us would have stopped to look at this car. Now I find myself thinking - well it's pretty rusty but it could be saved! Let's all hope and pray it is.

PS what did you mean by the statement " the entire car was glazed"?
Thanks it is, I bought the car because it was in such bad shape, I just can see my self cutting up a good car. As for glazed Its a thin cote of body filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47silver View Post
Immediately remove all body panels, hood, trunk, doors any thing loose have it media stripped and have them stripped and epoxy primed. Remove front rear suspension, steering rack etc take them to sandblasted. Remove everything from the car and have the shell media blasted and primed. Them begin
This is part of the plan I will hopefully start striping it down this weekend. I have been searching C-list for a good media stripper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porboynz View Post
Some of the suspension mechanicals and the remaining glass looks OK but that body looks severely race lightened to me. Make sure your head stays in charge.
I don't thing it was ever raced other then maybe on the street. And I will try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
PART IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a longhood owner (1973.5T) I would tell you that every part that can be removed from connectors, to seats, glass to hinges, switches to panels, etc, will yield you far more $$$$$$$ then you can imagine. With the cost of longhoods up in the stratosphere EVERYTHING longhood has value and folks will pay the price. Take a look at Ebay or the market here on Pelican. I do not throw anything out anymore.

You might have found a small gold mine....................in parts.

The cost of rebuilding that rusted hulk? As much as four di-lithium Starship crystals!!!!!

Good luck

Bob
1973.5T

keep me on your parts sales list
That would be the worst case scenario. That said most of what you see will be parted out as I bought it for the tub. and will not be using most of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves911L View Post
I'm with Typ616. Check the VIN. Its got vent windows (pre-69), and the door handle looks like the early style (pre-68). Cant tell if that's a smashed battery box hanging under the LF fender, or not. Side mirror is '72 and later.

I know guys get excited about finding just about any old P-wagen these days, but I can't help thinking some of them should just be left to die in peace.
From the looks of it, it has a lot of different year parts on it I have not looked for the vins yet i'm still waiting on the PO to fill for a lost title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardNew View Post
I just had some rust taken care of on my '73.5. You will not believe how expensive this project is going to be if you do it correctly.

On the other hand with today's prices you might come out even. If you can get $100,00 for the finished car.

Thankfully I will not be needing the rear seats.

Richard Newton
Exhaust System Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
Rear seat buckets are infamous for rusting on the longhoods. Water weeps down the rear window channel and makes its way under the rear seat into the bowl and just sits their and eats away. Add the wire retaining clips underneath and that spells more danger. This of course happens over decades.

Yours is not all that bad.
From what I can see from the under side of the car it not to bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911SauCy View Post
So...

I know a guy who wanted to restore a Hemi 'Cuda with the promise of making all his $ back and then some, in much better shape than the unit in question. It shined and drove.

He no longer has a wife, house, money, or the car...

RUN
Well I have most of this covered. I'm single, collage student living at home. Good paying job. and I'm selling my rock crawler to fund my project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves911L View Post
Usually I'm the grumpy old nay-sayer sort. But some of you guys might be just a little harsh.

Can't deny that it looks seriously rough at first blush, but let's see exactly what he's got before final judgement (VIN#, and the motor if the guy comes up with it.) Maybe the rust is all on the outside (though that door bottom doesn't give hope). Maybe he gets a motor complete with 2.2 alloy stacks. Maybe that's a nice straight set of deep sixes (though look a little 14ish in the photo). Maybe all the good stuff is there. And maybe the guys a talented welder. Who knows?
I dont know if I will ever see the engine. but if I do it would be nice. I will look for the vin tomorrow, and there 14x5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM911 View Post
I don't know guys. The OP should really go through some of the restoration threads out there. He can easily be in for close to $50k on rust repair alone. Before Paint, Engine and Interior. Then lets talk suspension. I don't think folks are being so much harsh, as they are being realistic. There is a LOT of rust on that car.
I have be for the past few years trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can on the cars. As for rust repair I fould be able to make most of the patch panels.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like a project and a half for sure. The real story will be when you get a good look at the underside, front pan and longitudinals. In my experience with cars sitting out in the midwest and other 4 seasons climates...it all depends what's under the car. If on gravel or pavement you have a fighting chance. On grass or dirt, or sometimes even worse yet...wet dirt floor in a shed/barn with leaking roof...chances are there's not much left underneath.

If you're serious of trying to breath life back into this one better ask yourself how much time and money and time and time and time you are willing to spend. With lot's of TLC (and money), untold hours of lost time (and more money), time on the internet (admittedly better than the old way or driving everywhere) looking for parts (.plus did I mention money?), plus dealing with a myriad of self proclaimed restoration "experts" and bodymen you could have yourself an incredible car and story if you do everything right...or just an incredible story and an unfinished car like many others. This one is not for the weak of heart.
Finding 'em sure is fun though!
have a good one,
Larry
Old 08-07-2014, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Just saw the pictures inside the garage. Doesn't look quite as bad as in the yard. I'm sure you got it for a good price. If the underside isn't too bad you might be surprised what someone would bid for a restorable E shell at the 'bay auction site.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I take it if I found it. Post the pictures of th e engine.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Cannot believe someone would let a car waste away like that!
Old 08-07-2014, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Can't wait to see where you end up.
1963 356B T6 Coupe / 1962 356B T6 Cabriolet
Current projects - 1955 356 pre-a Speedster / 1964 356C
Old 08-07-2014, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrodblake View Post
Well I have most of this covered. I'm single, collage student living at home.
What kinds of collages do you study?

Seriously, best of luck with the project. I refuse to be a naysayer. These days, 356s folding in half are being brought back. Every 911 deserves a shot.

YMMV, Al
Old 08-07-2014, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

I was going to ask how old your were. If you rebuild this you will go down in history.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
I found a matching number 60 roadster that looked about this bad 15 years ago. Took me 5 years to restore. Drove it for ten years.
Sold it last year for $95,000
Follow what you love, take your time and you may be surprised in the end.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

when you're done with this project, i'll nominate it for the sequel to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UInmCe_1KXI
1967 911 (Burgundy Red) - #308439
1971 911 (PTS Black) - Built 3.6 Sleeper
1989 911 (Grand Prix White) - Cabriolet Bone Stock
Old 08-07-2014, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Eva

Garage
Dude,

Keep the Jeep.

There are many less PITA things to drop (easily) $100k on.

If you so choose to take this challenge, may the force be with you.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: