Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Mix H & V rated tires?

I have to go with H rated up front in order to get the size and tire I want. Is there any advantage to using V rated in the back or should I be consistent and use H rated all around?

Car is used 100% on the street. I'm going to use 205/65 and 225/60 on 6 & 7 x 15" Cookies

Thanks

------------------
Rob Fix
'78 SC Targa

[This message has been edited by robfix (edited 09-14-2001).]
Old 09-14-2001, 04:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

How often are you going to be doing more than 130mph?

I don't think it really matters, but if it were me, I'd probably put the V's in the back, where there's more weight.

------------------
Chris C.
73 914 2.0
70 911E Targa
campbell.chris@gte.net
Old 09-14-2001, 04:45 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
rennlistite

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
The difference between H and V rated tires aren't just how much faster you can go in them, it has more to do with how well they will handle in the turns. Tires these days are made much better and the major difference is that the sidewalls on the V rated tire are stiffer which will give you better handling. If I were you I wouldn't sacrifice the handling. If you have a lower speed rating in the front the steering would be more squirrly. Your rear tires would want to hold longer than the fronts would. I would stick with going with 4 of the same speed rated tires. Just look a different brand tire. The ironic thing about this is that I am currently running 2 different speed ratings, only because the PO didn't know what they were doing.
Old 09-14-2001, 08:39 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

While the tire construction between H and V rated tires may differ slightly, neither you or your car will notice the difference since the cornering forces generated in the front are limited by poor weight distribution and even poorer alignment geometry that is biased towards push during any aggressive cornering.

Joe

[This message has been edited by stlrj (edited 09-15-2001).]

Old 09-15-2001, 08:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
rennlistite

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
Quote:
Originally posted by stlrj:
While the tire construction between H and V rated tires may differ slightly, neither you or your car will notice the difference since the cornering forces generated in the front are limited by poor weight distribution and even poorer alignment geometry that is biased towards push during any aggressive cornering.

Joe

I agree with that also.
Old 09-15-2001, 09:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Absolute Beginner

Hello

In germany it is not allowed to mix speed rates and/or tire types.

Porsche is not allowing to mix tire brands nor DOT years. In fact in germany you had to use the factory approved and recomended tires ( N Types ). Now this wasn´t conform with the european free trade treaty and since last year you are allowed to not Porsche approved brands. Right now with the Firstone vs Ford discussion things seem to move again. ( In Europe Mercedes also had some fatal losses with there small Van´s at 110 mp´h topspeed caused by aftermarked tires.

Grüsse
Old 09-15-2001, 01:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

In general it depends on how sensitive your car is to tire attributes (stiffness, directional control, tendancy to hunt, tire pressure, etc). 911's are typically VERY sensitive, and mixing H & V rated tire will undoubtedly make your car squirm and handle funny. Mixed tires (Yoko AVS V rated on front, Yoko 502 H rated on rear, both great tires) on my 91 MR2 Turbo years ago and i was scared to throw it into the turns. The differences in sidewall flex made the rear wiggle all over the place. If you want to be confident driving your car, DO NOT MIX.
Old 09-15-2001, 03:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Not going to mix ratings then. I'll go with H rated original size 195/65 & 215/60 Michelin Pilot's. Not a lot of choice in the all weather 15" tire market. Thanks for your replies.
Old 09-15-2001, 10:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Just remember, whenever you put on new tires, your car will "squirm and handle funny..." until they are broken in, regardless of mixing H and V on your car.

Joe
Old 09-16-2001, 12:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Yah I'm aware of break in of new tires, they always feel 'greasy' at first. What I experiences was definitely not that. Going into a turn the stiffer sidewalls on the fronts would bite into a turn and the rear would sort of keep going and take a second to 'settle into' the turn, giving the car a tendancy to rotate a bit, or at least it felt that way. Even going straight, the rear of the car felt like it drifted around slightly. Like I said before, put these tires on a caddilac and you probably won't notice, but put them on a 911 and they'll drive you nuts.

Brad
Old 09-16-2001, 08:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Old 09-16-2001, 08:08 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: