Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wheels dictate a huge amount of the vehicles appearance. The 15 inch wheel looks very much correct, but perhaps more important is that they look amazing.

If your tire choices dry up (as in Michelin TB, or possibly Pirelli), or the R888 tire does not suit your driving in terms of rain performance (which is safety related), you can always sell the wheels and go with something else.

The early cars do not look the same with 16 inch wheels. The 17's really change the look. However, any build like this will have compromises.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

With the values of these cars, and other vintage cars for that matter, a market is emerging for quality tires for smaller wheel sizes. Even if you have to go through vendors such as Coker.

To my eyes, a long hood doesn't look right with wheels larger than 15". I've seen a couple that look good, but that usually requires lowering the car quite a bit. The side skirts and fuller bumpers on the IB cars extends the fender line and makes larger wheel diameters look better. Even with the Singer cars, they extended the sills and bumpers to adjust the proportions of the cars so that they look appropriate with 17" wheels.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

It's subjective. It's like saying an impact bumper car is better-looking than a 964. Of course it is, but to quote The Dude, "that's just, like, your opinion, man." I think 16" wheels look better than 15" on every single 911, and there are plenty of 17" Fuchs replicas that look good too. Hell, I even saw 18" replicas on a 930 and was surprised at how well they worked.

Tires are the most important wear item on the car. For the foreseeable future, 15" wheels that wide will demand that you pay a premium for an obsolete tread pattern and compound. Some will see the car and say it looks wrong with bigger wheels. I think the vast majority will say "Whoa, sweet car!"

I'll get off my soapbox now...It'll look and drive great with either...
Old 09-15-2014, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

I understand that everything is subjective, but I'm not building my car for everybody else.

The whole other point to consider is that 911's were designed to use a 15" wheel with tall tires. Their camber curves were designed with sidewall flex in mind. To install wheels with low profile tires and get the full benefit of doing so would involve a total rethink of the suspension, otherwise you are just hauling around dead weight.

Plus there are many very cool tires in 15" sizes. The tread isn't exactly outdated, they still shed water and grip. But more importantly, they are constructed using modern compounds and techniques. So you get a tire that looks totally appropriate and it functions like a modern tire.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by will hung View Post
I understand that everything is subjective, but I'm not building my car for everybody else.

The whole other point to consider is that 911's were designed to use a 15" wheel with tall tires. Their camber curves were designed with sidewall flex in mind. To install wheels with low profile tires and get the full benefit of doing so would involve a total rethink of the suspension, otherwise you are just hauling around dead weight.

Plus there are many very cool tires in 15" sizes. The tread isn't exactly outdated, they still shed water and grip. But more importantly, they are constructed using modern compounds and techniques. So you get a tire that looks totally appropriate and it functions like a modern tire.
+ 1 on your first comment. However on comment #2, as you well know, Porsche themselves moved to 16" wheels.. obviously for good reason. The 15" wheels are fun as they affect gearing in that they turn over slightly faster, but I personally would go for the 16" as they respond better, more tire choices as at a better price- point as everyone has mentioned, and as the owner has stated, this will not be a garage queen.

Personally I ran both on my long hood and preferred my 16 x 7 & 9 set-up as opposed to the 15 x 7 & 8s.
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
16's :(

I've "decided" (i.e. feel forced) to go with 7x16 and 9x16 minilites (now available):
MiniliteWheels USA Distribution

I really love the look of the 15's but as far as I can tell there is only one set of "street" tires for the 9x15 rears- Michelin TB15's. Everyone says these are great (if expensive) tires- but they are really more of a track tire (need to warm-up, sticky / throw gravel, limited wear life, poor wet performance,...). This car will be my daily driver half the year...I will need to get up and drive this car on chilly mornings and maybe once in a while drive home in the rain.

For everyone who says an ST "should" be on 15's- I AGREE! How do we get tire manufactures to produce road tires in 15 x the wider widths (9,10,11..)? If tire options improve at 15 inch I'll be the first to switch because the 15's do look the business.

I'm planning ToyoT1R's
Old 09-15-2014, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Interior

Headliner is installed.

I've got a cracked dash- plan is to recover.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
911 jared

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 911 jared
love the color sceme. awesome car!!
05' honda s2000
Old 09-25-2014, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Garage

Old 10-15-2014, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
carpet install

Old 10-15-2014, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Garage
Interior stuff

Old 11-02-2014, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Great project - LOVE the colors.

For reference, here is mine on 7&9x16 Fuchs. I too prefer the look of 15" wheels on the ST, though I don't loose any sleep over it. That said, I'm in the process of having a set of 15" Fuchs built just to have....

Old 11-02-2014, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Garage
Wow

Competizione
Your car is the BOSS...I love the look/stance even on the 16's. Is there a thread or info about your car somewhere?
Old 11-02-2014, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Thanks - here you go:

Introduction - my new 67 'hot rod'.... Purists beware!
Old 11-02-2014, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

I don't know if you've glued the carpeting in place, but consider adding sound deadening to the rear seats and floor. In stock trim, the rear seats rest on heavy pad that seems to do a significant job of keeping the engine from drowning out the world. It's not terrible, but it's sound that is somewhat independent of the exhaust note and not easily controlled otherwise. That said, maybe the noise won't bother you, so wait and see...
Old 11-02-2014, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Garage
Sound deadening!

I had discussed Dynamatting the rear seats/shelf with early911...but until reading your post I didn't notice I don't see any deadening material in the carpet install pics! I think the carpets are already glued
Hmmmm
Old 11-02-2014, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

subscribed
Old 11-02-2014, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Absolutely fantastic. Great colour !!!!
Old 11-02-2014, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
Sound deadening

Tremelune

I spoke to Nick Moss at early911, they used the original type padding below the new carpets.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Garage
interior progress

Old 11-12-2014, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: