Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tracing the history of my 911. Advice and Info please.

Hi everyone,

This has probably been covered on here a few times at least and if so I would really appreciate some of your advice and information on finding out the history of my 911 from it's time in the USA.

I have a 1977 911S 2,7. I bought it in the UK a few months ago and unfortunately it has no documents from your side of the pond.

It was imported into the UK and registered in 1998. I am now living in Germany and it is about to go for it's TÜV and to get registered here for the first time. To do this they need to know the date of the first registration in the US.

I have just received the Certificate Of Authenticity from Porsche and it tells me that it was shipped to San Francisco. It doesn't state the name of the dealership, or who had ordered the car.

Any suggestions for my next move would be great. I would be very interested to find out more about my car and who added some of the battle scares to the heat exchangers etc . It seems to have most of the engine modifications that are stated in the 101 projects book too, which gives me hope that maybe this car belonged to a former/existing Pelican?

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I think a start would be to run the CarFax report based on the VIN. The CarFax should offer up the date of first registration. Here is a snippet of the first bits of the CarFax for my car:

Notice that the CarFax says the mileage, location, and date of first registration.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

WRXNOFX,

Great stuff, thanks for the tip!

I didn't know this existed.

Cheers.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

OK, so just tried the Carfax website and the VIN is not recognised. It seems that Carfax is good for cars manufactured after 1981 with a 17 digit VIN number?

Mine has 10 digits and is a model year 1977. (Actually built in 76)

Bugger, that would have been too easy!

Any other suggestions please?
Old 10-07-2014, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Google your vin....may turn up a for sale ad although a stretch since it was imported so long ago
1997 Buell Cyclone cafe project
1998 Buell S1W: "Angriest motorcycle I've ever ridden."
Old 10-07-2014, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Jase, you don't need the exact first reg. date for a import/reimport.
TÜV usually uses July 1st if you can`t proove another date.

In case you speak german:

Zulassungen & Import - Import von Fahrzeugen - Amerikanische Zulassung | TÜV SÜD GRUPPE

Falk
Old 10-07-2014, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks again guys, I will give it a go!

Vielen Dank Falk. Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut, aber immer besser!
Old 10-07-2014, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

What color is the car? Coupe or Targa? If coupe, sunroof?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I am in the same situation - maybe even more frustrating. My 1977 was heavily modified and I would really like to know the back story. I contacted the California Motor Vehicle Dept for information - the forms are on line. I have a list of every owner. I googled them, got addresses on most and sent out friendly letters on how much I love the car and appreciate the effort that went in to the build.

no response from any of them.....
Old 10-07-2014, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Here you go Pete.......,
[img]http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads23/image1412704397.jpg[/

No sunroof.

Scott, I know exactly the frustrations you are having. I had the same when trying to contact the previous owner of an old Norton that I have. After writing a pleasant letter asking for more info on the bike and how and why he did modifications to it I heard absolutely nothing for 10 months. He finally responded with a paragraph that could have been written on a postage stamp instead!

I would really appreciate it if someone contacted me about a car or bike that I once owned!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
My apologies for not knowing that CarFax doesn't go that far back.

From some of my records received with the car I was able to actually speak with one of the previous owners. It's amazing how far you can get with Facebook and LinkedIn if you have a name.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase77 View Post
Here you go Pete.......,
No sunroof.
Close, but no cigar! I owned a '77 for a period of time - sunroof coupe painted grey-beige and named "Princess" by a close friend who was the original owner. I lost contact with the car at about the time you mentioned, so I hoped... Good luck with your search!

BTW; on another car that I owned I tried the CA forms research, filled out everything, mailed them, and after a very long wait period of months got a letter back from the DMV. It simply stated that due to privacy concerns no information could be given regarding past owners of the car.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I wonder if they changed the rules since I received my report from the Ca DMV. I think mine came through a bit under a year ago. It took about two weeks from when I sent them the check/form to getting a response.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Jason.This won't help you but...I have an even older one that I bought in California in 1994 and want something like your COA but it says on the form they only send to Canada and USA so how did you get one to Germany? Michael.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hi Donlan,

I got the COA for free because I have membership with the Porsche Club GB. I am surprised that they say they won't post it to Australia? Maybe try going to your local Porsche dealer?

They exported them to Australia so why not issue certificates there?

Good luck.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
It's possible that CA DMV may give up records that don't compromise the identity of the previous owners
Home
If you prove to them that you currently own the car and are only interested in documentation that is needed for your particular situation they may be able to help.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: