Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Undocumented User

Garage
Is your exhaust too loud or too lame?

After going through the process of buying a new exhaust/s and trying things out on my car, I realized a few things, unfortunately I found my solution only the PayPal button had been pressed a few times buying and selling.

I realized that the sound we all lust for is really just subjective.
I realized that the exhaust is just one component that needs to work in concert with the entirety the rest of the mods you've got to get the response you're looking for and you may be unhappy with your choice unless you do a lot of research and ask the wise guys.

I'll leave the performance side out of this since there is a way to quantify that and just focus on the experience and the sound. I don't like YouTube clips because they don't really give you the experience of the real thing and you can't get the sense of drone or the way certain sounds just resonate in your chest cavity. In the end they're sort of like watching pron, it's just not the same as being there. .

My original starting point was a 3.2 with SSI's and an early OE muffler that in hindsight I would have been happy to keep were it not for it being in the sorryest of states.

Having had that setup for a few years and having heard other P cars in the process as well as being very happy with the sound on my existing setup, I thought it would be good to start a very generalized thread of sounds where we rate what we've got on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being an electric car, and 10 being and open exhaust. I'm looking for day to day spirited driving impression only as we all know a flat six sound glorious when it's screaming at 5k regardless of what's back there. So no Apples to orange comparison of competitive use. Any mods made to the engine will have some type of effect on the sound, so you should list that as well.

3.2 Stock internals, Open Air Box, SW 93 Oct Chip, SSI's (so in all cases 2 in)

1 out early OE muffler: 5

(baffled) M&K GT3: 7.5 quite a bit of drone

Dansk Sport GT3: 6.5 slight drone

Megaphones: 9.5 (just sitting and revving in the driveway not streetable!)

Last edited by McLaren-TAG; 11-07-2014 at 10:33 AM..
Old 11-07-2014, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
My exhaust is still stock. I do have a cat bypass and that changes the tone but did not make it much louder. I actually drive my 911 on long road trips. I drove to Monterey, CA just this summer. 12 hours in my car is no big deal as. A louder exhaust would make that unbearable.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 11-07-2014, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I'll add a few:

2.7: stock internals, European Racing Headers (George's):

Modified Supertrapps with 18 discs: 9 (glorious, best sounding exhaust I ever had)

3.2: 10.3:1 P&Cs, SSIs, SW chip:

Dansk Sport: 6 (not bad tone, but not exciting)
Triad "street" muffler: 7 (great exhaust note, but too quiet)
M&K Track "shorties": 8 (awesome sound, way too loud for anything but track use)
Dansk Sport with center outlets: 7 (nice low rumble, but doesn't sound nearly as good as a factory sport)

I'd put the Triad back on if it was louder...
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 11-07-2014, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I got to drive my father in laws S2000 the other day with dual bigger exhaust. Did not like it at all the drone was awful with the bigger exhaust. So bad he had to put the original exhaust back on so my mother in law would ride with him again in it.
I though of putting duels on my 911 but that drive cured me and I will stick with my ssi's with stock Dansk. OH i was also not impressed with the S2000, felt like a very fast Civic. Had to rev it up to feel any power.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Retired, finally

Garage
My 3.2, stock internals, stock air intake;

M&K cat bypass, M&K 1 in 2 out: if the stock muffler was a 5, then this combo is an 8. It's perfect for the track, a teeny bit too loud for everyday use, and on the occasions when I do drive it on the street, I get asked "Do you have a V8 in there?"
2009 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S; 1999 E36 M3 Coupe; 1998 Porsche Boxster; 1989 Toyota Supra ChumpCar; 1989 Alfa Romeo Spider; 1977 Porsche 911S Targa 3.2L"Bwunhilde II" chimera; 1970 Datsun 240Z 2.9L "dogZilla" project
Old 11-07-2014, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
wannabee wannabee

Garage
My favorite subject. SSI with older gen M&K 2/2 has been perfect for me (3.2 stock with SW chip). I drive it whenever wherever (in fact took out for work this morning at 5am) and never had any noise complaints (sans the wife).

Previous setups:
1) Bursch 1/1 came with the car = nice but sounds like a V8 and droned
2) GHL 2/1 = loud, sounds like a Ferrari, droned like crazy
3) Dansk non sport 2/1 = lame lame lame but I might go back to this when I turn 70
4) M&K 2/1 gen4 = nice but just slightly lame for me (could have kept it except I damaged it)

So I'd prob score my setup a 7.5 smiling while humping between foreplay and orgasmic heaven.

Last edited by WIL84911; 11-08-2014 at 05:44 AM..
Old 11-07-2014, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Bye, Bye.

3.2 stock internals, open air box, SSI's (so in all cases 2 in)

M&K single out: 6
M&K dual out (RSR spacing): 8 (some drone at 2900 rpm)
Old 11-07-2014, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Mine may be a little loud !!!!

Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

3.0 Stock. SSi's and an "early" M&K 2 in 1 out, with a little baffle in the tailpipe.

It's kind of loud but not outrageous. No drone. Hard to talk on the cellphone at highway speed.

Definitely edgier, with a sharp bark and a sort of metallic vibe.

I've gotten numerous compliments on the sound at Porsche and other car gatherings. I'm very happy with it. My wife would prefer it was a bit quieter.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Stock big port 3.0 Euro

Early heat exchangers and 2 in/1 out Bursch with Dynomax turbo style muffler. Not too loud, not too quiet. No drone at all. Great sound IMHO. Only downside is it's not as pretty as stainless HE (SSI) with stainless bannana style muffler.

I'm very pleased with this exhaust.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage

Just right!! B&B Headers and B&B 2 in one out.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
you see Arthur...

stock internals on my 3.0 Bursch Cat Bypass, 1 in 2 out flow master, Great sound, although a little loud for everyday, so 1 side is capped off for tooling around the city, uncapped for highway and backroad runs. No noticeable drone at all.
00 ML 55 AMG
Santa Cruz Bullit
Old 11-07-2014, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to HawgRyder
This is a never-ending discussion.
Sound is in the ear of the listener.
Power and pitch are as unique to each person as is beauty.
If your system pleases you...great...but your system may sound "tinney" or harsh to the next man.
By all means...find "your" sound...but don't be surprised when some voices his opinion that differs from yours.
Have fun.
Bob
Old 11-07-2014, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

BURSCH 2.7 MFI pipe. small glasspack on each bank into a larger glasspack. Been on there for years so I am sure there is no glass left and this was before Bursch started using stainless steel wool in them. I love the sound, loud enough but not nuts and lets that 2.7 MFI song come through.

The 2.7 MFI version has a slightly smaller diameter for better performance.

Stock OE heater boxes that I have patched and welded in a continuous maintenance cycle. Almost went for headers, but I do use the heater once in a while.

As you can see this is not a concours car but a daily driver.....The system has several wideband sensor bungs in it for experimenting with AFR readings at different places. You can see a couple of them and the wideband sensor for the Daytona-Sensors AFR instrument is now in the junction of the 2 sides......you can see the sensor wire at the top of the last photo if you look carefully.
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990

Last edited by dicklague; 11-07-2014 at 12:23 PM..
Old 11-07-2014, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
wannabee wannabee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgRyder View Post
This is a never-ending discussion.
Sound is in the ear of the listener.
Power and pitch are as unique to each person as is beauty.
If your system pleases you...great...but your system may sound "tinney" or harsh to the next man.
By all means...find "your" sound...but don't be surprised when some voices his opinion that differs from yours.
Have fun.
Bob
Amen!
Old 11-07-2014, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I just wish mine sounded as good as Magnus' car!!! I envy him....he is so so cool!
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990
Old 11-07-2014, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
For my '73 RS clone I punched out my stock 2 in 1 out, to a 2 in 2 out. It sounds exactly like that SC in Magnus's video.

I had to do a little internal cutting on the stock muffler to get the exhaust flow the same from both tips.
'77 911s - Peru red IROC Clone
'89 964 C4 - Guards red
Old 11-07-2014, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Down load the app, so we can compare (somewhat) at least idling decibels.
My 87 with Bursch 1 5/8 headers and an M&k 2 inti 1 idles at 70 dB +|- 3 about 5 feet away from left side to right side of the rear.
67 912 coupe, white, sold
04 Audi Allroad 2.7T
Old 11-07-2014, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Just right for me. 3.2SS, RarlyL8 1 5/8" headers, Monty 2 in 2 out muffler.

Rod

Old 11-07-2014, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Mine may be a little loud !!!!

As little as we have heard from you lately Sir, I think your Zork is silent...

www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 11-07-2014, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: