Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I use the manual lockout for the track; works perfectly. When driving around town, which isn't often for me, you have to be pretty clumsy to nick reverse even without the lockout.

73 Targa (gone but not forgotten)
Old 02-26-2015, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
86FlatSix

Garage
Any of you guys experience 1st gear popping out? Is it just me getting used to the new shifter or something is wrong with my tranny? I noticed I get a 30% chance of 1st gear popping out from a stop. Either I don't put 1st properly or I need to adjust again. I just drove it around for an hour on stop and go and fwy traffic and enjoyed it. Except for those awkward moments when you were about to go after the green and the gear pops out and you are left there by the pack for a few seconds. lol
Old 03-01-2015, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

JQ, it sounds like an adjustment problem. Loosen your coupler clamp slightly, and pull your shift lever back just a little while holding the coupler fixed. That should allow you to push the coupler further into first.
Just an idea that worked for me.
Good luck,
Dave
2001 996TT
Old 03-01-2015, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Reiver

I put the Rennshift in my '83 euro today.
I had replaced all bushings and coupler bushings prior and was running a seine system.
The seine system was a great improvement over stock and made the 3-4 plane very evident so you'd have to be ham fisted to select the wrong gear....it works.
I simply wanted a better looking unit specifically made to improve the poor gear selection Porsche designed (one side spring loaded?).
The Rennshift is a quality upgrade and an easy install altho the short shift takes a bit of getting use to after rowing gears.
The only adjustment change I made was a 1/32 to 1/16th in. moving the coupler aft so even depth occurred in gears fore/aft....I had no adjustment to make clockwise or counter.
I think many miss the importance of the depth issue and minute changes reap great benefit.
I use the manual lockout and it worked perfectly with no adjustment to anything.
I think if you have major adjustment to your coupler counter or clockwise you were already way out of adjustment because of some slop in your prior system.
It is more direct and snicky that the stock + seine and the shorter throws are nice too.
It is also a very functional beauty type of item.
I believe it also very fairly priced.
Happy camper.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered

I bought the Rennshift last year and finally got around to putting it in last weekend, finishing up today. Overall, I give the product a thumbs up. However, I've had the same problems with the reverse pawl as many others.

There was one slight issue with the pawl that I definitely had to correct. It was contacting the upper ring which holds down the centering springs such that it would get locked forward after the lever was put into 5th, and then click back. I took the ring off and there were clear rub marks where the pawl was hitting the aluminum. I filed the aluminum down a little bit and that solved the problem.

I've also adjusted everything as well as I can get it and the pawl seems like it could be a bit smoother. I'm a bit tempted to file the tip of the pawl down just slightly but I'm going to drive it a bit and maybe try one more adjustment after that.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Another Rennshifter question. The 'throw' into 2nd and 4th on my setup is noticeably shorter than it is into 1st and 3rd. Can I change this by moving the lever forward or backward a tad after loosening the coupler?
Old 03-19-2016, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymanager View Post
Another Rennshifter question. The 'throw' into 2nd and 4th on my setup is noticeably shorter than it is into 1st and 3rd. Can I change this by moving the lever forward or backward a tad after loosening the coupler?
There is some language in the installation manual about adjusting throw. However, I don't think it can be adjusted to do what you're saying. Also, I don't think you could adjust the coupling in such a way to do that, though you could move the whole pattern forward or backward within the bounds of the shifter.

I need to take another crack at adjusting mine after I drive it and I'll tell if you I see anything that could cause that.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered

Just installed the Rennshift in my 78SC - beautiful assembly and very easy install. I bought the package with the shift coupler and a new rod bushing. Everything feels tight and precise, vast improvement noticed on a brief shakedown drive. So far the initial adjustment seemed to do the trick, easy to find all gears and nothing popping out under acceleration.

Stupid question - what are the two extra cone screws for? The cone screw in the coupler looks to be the same size but why would I need two spares? Or did I completely overlook two other screws that could be replaced?
Old 04-11-2016, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vick View Post
Stupid question - what are the two extra cone screws for? The cone screw in the coupler looks to be the same size but why would I need two spares? Or did I completely overlook two other screws that could be replaced?
You bought the package, which comes with our special locking cone screws. The screws are longer to provide additional threads for a jam nut to lock the screw in place, but release easily when desired. The screws are coated with anti-seize to ward off dissimilar metal corrosion that tends to lock these screws in place. The standard screws have a nylon locking patch that fights removal and wipes off any anti-seize during installation.

I do not remove the supplied standard screw that comes with the coupler, so that is your extra.

The one you missed is the cone screw under the shifter holding the cup to the front of the shift rod. You remove this one to replace the shift rod bushing.

JWest Engineering
Old 04-12-2016, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWest View Post
You bought the package, which comes with our special locking cone screws. The screws are longer to provide additional threads for a jam nut to lock the screw in place, but release easily when desired. The screws are coated with anti-seize to ward off dissimilar metal corrosion that tends to lock these screws in place. The standard screws have a nylon locking patch that fights removal and wipes off any anti-seize during installation.

I do not remove the supplied standard screw that comes with the coupler, so that is your extra.

The one you missed is the cone screw under the shifter holding the cup to the front of the shift rod. You remove this one to replace the shift rod bushing.
Thanks James! Great product, appreciate the support through the forum too!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Installed my new Rennshifter in my 83sc over the weekend and love it. So much more refined than my stock unit and made my old 915 shift easier. Great upgrade. Tim
Old 04-13-2016, 12:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Registered

hi

it seems some are fitting the shifter totally over the carpet

original fit for the shifter is under the carpet

any reason ? appart of esthetic reasons ?

thanks
Old 04-13-2016, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

No. Do what you like.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: