Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

JWest Shifter Review

My 86 3.2 had the usual 'stir-the-pot and see what gear turns up' shifting issues.

Based on recommendations in this forum, I first changed all the bushings and installed a Wevo shift coupler which improved things quite a bit. I still had a little vagueness to the shifting occasionally and trouble getting into 1st and 2nd.

So, I installed a factory short shifter thinking it might help out. It actually made things worse. First, the shorter shifter gave me less leverage to get into a tight 2nd gear--and second, the shifter knob kept pulling off in my hand while I was trying to shift. Also, it wasn't very easy to reassemble the shifter with the two big springs inside it.

Today, I installed a JWest shifter with a 2 inch extension. It was easy. Very easy. It took me 15 minutes to get my console off and only about 5 minutes to install the shifter (the time it took to remove the housing bolts and bolt it back).

I took it for a drive and it shifts smoothly. I think the primary difference is that its all brand new shiny components. They even provide all new bolts for it.

The factory short shifter still used the old worn parts I already had which I think caused it to retain a little 'vagueness'.

The two inch extension also gives me more leverage and brings the shifter back up a little closer to the steering wheel which I like.

Anyway, I am very pleased with how the car shifts now and recommend it to anybody who was wondering about it.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks for the info. Can I ask what made your decision to go with the Rennshift from JWest over the Wevo shifter since you already had the Wevo coupling? I ask since I'm getting ready to the same upgrades and both companies products get high praise around here.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I certainly can as I was originally going to go with the Wevo shifter just because it seems prevalent.

I had already wrestled with taking apart my shifter to install the factory short shifter and it isn't a fun process. The reviews on the Wevo indicated that I would just be installing their shifter in my house which sounds like using some of the same old parts and wrestling with the shifter housing again (it took me a day and a half to get it back together because of the high tension springs inside it).

So, it was primarily the all brand new parts and preassembled housing that sold me on it. I can't speak for the Wevo, but the JWest is a breeze to install.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
GOM (Grumpy Old Man)

I had a Rennshift (JWest) shifter in my SC and highly recommend that product. It is a complete self-contained plug and play unit with no mods or re-use of OEM parts required, which was appealing to me. Plus it is a great-looking product. Looked so nice I didn't even use the rubber boot that came with it. I also got the extended lever. Perfectly placed and closer to the steering wheel for easier reach. I bought their coupler (available as a package deal) and it was well worth it too. Likely similar in quality/performance to the Wevo coupler. JWest uses a Stomski coupler.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks!

Hey Busta Rib, what color is your interior?
Old 11-11-2014, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Since the title of the thread is JWest shifter review, I will offer my thoughts on the JWest G50 shifter kit. Installed it about 2 years ago in the 88 Carrera since I had developed the sloppy shifter syndrome. I love it. Short, crisp, and precise. For me it took more than 20 minutes to install. I'm using the stock coupler. Well worth the time and money.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

wannabee wannabee

Garage
JWest Shifter Review

Another Rennshift happy customer here. I've enjoyed the last 2 years.. even now with bad 1st and 2nd gears. Looking to experiment 33% throw reduction once tranny gets sorted out (flame suit on!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by WIL84911; 11-12-2014 at 05:37 AM..
Old 11-11-2014, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Good info. Leads me to some questions..

Does the JWest give a similar feel to the Sein Gate? By that I mean - can you feel the 1st/2nd plane vs the 3rd/4th plane?
Old 11-11-2014, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
wannabee wannabee

Garage
The shifter rests on 3/4 plane. You have to slide left for 1/2 plane. Not sure if that answers your question.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

I have had both the RennShifter in my track car and the Seine in my M491. The Seine is just fine and does the job. But the RennShifter is a precise piece of work and feels real nice and always positive.

1985 M491
Old 11-11-2014, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Racer

I have the Rennshift in my race car and love it. I highly recommend the unit. I have mine set to the longest throw setting.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
GOM (Grumpy Old Man)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
Thanks!

Hey Busta Rib, what color is your interior?
It is the stock red door panels that came with the car. The seats are Recaro LS that I bought in the aftermarket and they just happened to be a close match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinerg View Post
Good info. Leads me to some questions..

Does the JWest give a similar feel to the Sein Gate? By that I mean - can you feel the 1st/2nd plane vs the 3rd/4th plane?
Yes, the gates are spring-loaded so the default is 3/4 and you need to give a slight push to the left for 1/2 and right for 5. Nice touch.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I'm so torn on what to get, I have wevo mounts and psj and I'd buy undies if they sold them.
My wife's name is J West, So hard to decide.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esonefour View Post
I'm so torn on what to get, I have wevo mounts and psj and I'd buy undies if they sold them.
My wife's name is J West, So hard to decide.
Ask JWest to make his and hers undies then, I guess your choice would be made. Hard for the wife to complain about a shifter with her name on it well?

Back to the topic, sounds like everyone likes the Rennshift. Searching tells me that Wevo users are also very happy, though installation requires re-use of stock parts. Has anyone here "converted" to the JWest from Wevo, or vice versa and can comment?
Old 11-12-2014, 12:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY65912 View Post
I have had both the RennShifter in my track car and the Seine in my M491. The Seine is just fine and does the job. But the RennShifter is a precise piece of work and feels real nice and always positive.
I have a Seine shifter, and am wondering your thoughts on the differences. I have always had a confident feeling with the Seine left side "gate tabs" that operate just like the 5th/reverse tab on the stock shifter. Does the Jwest unit do something similar and does it feel just as "mistake proof", in other words does it feel "gated"?
'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa
Old 11-12-2014, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
Back to the topic, sounds like everyone likes the Rennshift. Searching tells me that Wevo users are also very happy, though installation requires re-use of stock parts. Has anyone here "converted" to the JWest from Wevo, or vice versa and can comment?
I am interested to see opinions on those who have used both also. I suspect differences are marginal and more related to other factors. I could never find anything difinitive in my searches. People seem happy with both, but few have tried both in the same transmission/car.

I Have a factory short shift kit and stomski coupler on my car. I have no other real comparison however as the only other 915 I drove was a OEM short shift too, but the gearbox was a mess.

I will disclose that I ordered a Wevo shifter based on advice from a friend. Still waiting to get it in my hands, but I must admit that I probably did not research enough as I only reciently relaized that it was not an all in 1 unit like the rennshift. Given that it is more $$$ than the rennshift, it makes me wonder what makes it so good? Or, why is the rennshift more affordable?

As far as reusable parts in the wevo, it would appear that the only part that is reused that is truly "wear and tear" is the plastic cup for the bottom of the leaver(edit, new bushings are included).

On the plus side, I suppose that by reusing the original housing, the wevo unit stays closer to OEM.
2016 Ford Focus RS

Last edited by gliding_serpent; 11-29-2014 at 09:27 AM..
Old 11-12-2014, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

Installing the Seine kit is an upgrade to a STOCK shifter. Although it works fine, it is still a stock shifter. The tactile feel is different with the RennShifter, it is more positive and tighter feeling. It just feels and works better than stock. Also, the throw is adjustable.

Yes, to me it felt more gated for sure.

1985 M491
Old 11-12-2014, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
wannabee wannabee

Garage
Not sure if this can show how good it is but.... Let's go to the video (my son taping for me). Enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDBJvV6VhAw
Old 11-12-2014, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Just installed Rennshift. It is replacing a Seine shifter I've used for about three years. The Seine unit offers a lot of improvement and value for the money over stock. But the Rennshifter is in another league, shorter throw, much more precise, much "notchier". As others, I encountered no issues with the install which took about an hour all up.
73 Targa (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by moneymanager; 11-28-2014 at 05:02 PM..
Old 11-28-2014, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIL84911 View Post
Not sure if this can show how good it is but.... Let's go to the video (my son taping for me). Enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDBJvV6VhAw
Nice video, thanks for posting. My stock factory short shift kit seems to shift about the same as yours appears to shift. I cannot shift particularly fast, like you, and I seem to use about the same amount of hand power. I am wondering if I "need" this admittedly beautiful shifter.
Thanks,
Dave

2001 996TT
Old 11-28-2014, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: