Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered speed offender

Garage
OEM EFI/Carb air cleaner on PMO's?

Wondering if anyone has tried this or if they even fit... I kinda dig the look.
That is, the OEM air cleaner box for carbs/mfi sans the snorkel in favor of the RS piece instead, installed on PMO's. I would use the metal setup... not sure if there would be a power/response deficit going this route?

This is what I'm referring to:

Last edited by 78SCRSMAN; 11-23-2014 at 07:42 AM..
Old 11-23-2014, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That will not bolt right on to PMO carbs. Big holes too small, stud holes not far enough apart, other holes in between big holes don't line up with PMO openings. With enough effort you could probably make them work. Maybe.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Okay so some cutting, welding and grinding would be in order.

Are/were there versions for MFI and another for carbs? Should I decide to go this route, how can I tell the difference?
I guess the important thing is: Are the hole centers all the same?

Last edited by 78SCRSMAN; 11-23-2014 at 07:19 PM..
Old 11-23-2014, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I don't know any details on this other than it is on a PMO EFI setup instead of carbs, but I liked the look.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I am right in the middle of fitting an EFI air cleaner to my PMO EFI. The bases do not line up and so I need to make minor modifications. Since I want it to be precise and make sure everything lines up, I'm taking the bases to a machine shop where they have better tools than me.

The large holes have to be bored a little bit bigger otherwise they impede the airflow as they are smaller than the PMO air horns. Then the holes that mount the air horns do not line up perfectly so new holes have to be drilled (using 1/2 of the original holes). It looks like this won't cause any problems because the gasket will seal off everything.

I think that the bases of the EFI with the air horns exposed looks much better than the bases for rain hat air cleaners and the efi top will be much easier remove than the 8 locknuts that are on rain hats. Also, the efi air cleaner has a port for the oil tank ventilation.

One thing to keep in mind....If you have electromotive coils, you can't use the Clewett Engineering coil stand as they hit the air cleaner.

Lastly, if you have rain hat air cleaners, the base makes a perfect template for all the work you will need to do.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R

Last edited by Tidybuoy; 11-23-2014 at 08:55 PM..
Old 11-23-2014, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome Vern! Thanks a bunch! That's exactly the info I needed.
As for the Clewett coils and stand, (which I plan to use) I wonder if you were to use the tall manifolds, would there then be enough clearance? It looks as though that's what you've got in the photo. Id really like to mount the coils on the stand... how did you end up making it work?

EDIT: Oops, thought that photo was yours Vern... it looks as though the coils are mounted under the air cleaner, at least something is?!

Last edited by 78SCRSMAN; 11-24-2014 at 05:36 AM..
Old 11-24-2014, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsscotty View Post
I don't know any details on this other than it is on a PMO EFI setup instead of carbs, but I liked the look.

Agree... This looks very cool.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78SCRSMAN View Post
As for the Clewett coils and stand, (which I plan to use) I wonder if you were to use the tall manifolds, would there then be enough clearance? It looks as though that's what you've got in the photo. Id really like to mount the coils on the stand... how did you end up making it work?

EDIT: Oops, thought that photo was yours Vern... it looks as though the coils are mounted under the air cleaner, at least something is?!
Here's mine (in an unfinished state). Mine is exactly the same as Trog's, which is the red car.

Currently, I have the coils mounted on the Clewett stand but it won't work with the MFI air cleaner. I'm going to mount the coils in the same spot but I will have to use shorter risers (which the coils come with).

Old 11-24-2014, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Tony

Frickin awesome - this is my dream setup!
07 Cayman S (sold - not soon forgotten)
93 968 (sold)
Old 11-24-2014, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Very nice setup Vern! Well done!
So as I am understanding, all of what I ask is doable although not at all plug n' play.
I keep seeing quite a lot of cut snouts... musta been the thang years ago to get some added flow? I really like the looks of the "RS" (as I think it's called) piece that replaces the snout. Totally knocks it outa the park for me!

Thank you for all your help gents!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78SCRSMAN View Post
Very nice setup Vern! Well done!
So as I am understanding, all of what I ask is doable although not at all plug n' play.
I keep seeing quite a lot of cut snouts... musta been the thang years ago to get some added flow? I really like the looks of the "RS" (as I think it's called) piece that replaces the snout. Totally knocks it outa the park for me!

Thank you for all your help gents!
There were different "snouts" depending on the year. The shorter one is actually not cut but was the style used on the RS. Also, some point left and some point right and you cannot simply reverse as I tried it on mine and it wont fit and will also point upward.

I've been looking for the short snorkel but they are scarce and pretty expensive (like $100+). I've also seen where the snorkel is completely removed and they sell a version on Pelican. It's carbon Fiber and $175 - Ouch! Not in my budget today.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
The photo posted by rsscotty is from Trog build: Post 260 of My PMO ITB Project Trog thread that was my inspiration.

I do like the look in Trog's photo.

My look over the last years, it never stop...

Original Rain Hats:

Race Top:

Tea Balls:

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 11-24-2014, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidybuoy View Post
There were different "snouts" depending on the year. The shorter one is actually not cut but was the style used on the RS. Also, some point left and some point right and you cannot simply reverse as I tried it on mine and it wont fit and will also point upward.

I've been looking for the short snorkel but they are scarce and pretty expensive (like $100+). I've also seen where the snorkel is completely removed and they sell a version on Pelican. It's carbon Fiber and $175 - Ouch! Not in my budget today.
Sounds like this is a BTDT deal for you. Well I'm thinking I'll go this route for some of the same reasons you pointed out earlier, plus like I said, I like the look.
I like that CF snout Pelican has too but have seen a metal version (maybe OE?) I think goes a bit better.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: