Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I would rather be driving

Moving right along...

The fenders needed a bit of work before I can put them in primer. I also need to align them with the doors and set the gaps before I can move forward with the rest of the tub finish work.

So, the tub actually looks like a car with a single fender hanging on there. It is bolted with about half of the bolts but that was enough to hold alignment for me to do the repair.

Here you can see the usual work done by the tinworms while the car was sitting around. The dogleg section of the fenders is eaten away. This also includes the lower section of the fender support.

HUGE Thank you to LUFTKUL (PP Member) for offering up a lower dogleg section for fender repair. I was fortunate to see his ad early. The section was perfect for my needs. Here is the patch piece next to the repair.

After some careful measuring I cut the fender (off the car) then bolted up the two sections, trimmed, aligned and clamped in place.

Once it is clamped in place it is really easy to pull out the MIG gun and stitch the two sections together. After a little bit of finish grinding it is one piece.

Next up is to pull the fender off and weld up the vertical support and touch up a few sections. Easy Peasy.

I now have to dig out more hardware to connect the DS fender. It needs a little more work than the PS.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 12-09-2017, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #241 (permalink)
Mark Wilson

Bravo to our resident mad scientist!
Old 12-09-2017, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #242 (permalink)

After completing some finish work on the PS fender it was time to rotate the car and work on the DS. The DS needed a lot more work. Let's jump right in with the lower dog leg section. AS you can see it had been invaded by the early car loving tin worms. Doesn't look that bad on the outside. Just simply cut off the outer skin and weld on some metal. Easy.

Starting Point

I am sure everyone has heard that the rust you can see on the outside is just the tip of the iceberg. Here is what happens when you go scuba diving below the surface. When I cut off the outer skin and exposed the lower flange I found this much fun. Basically I opened the tuna can expose the worms nest. Yeah, it looks worse in person. I started with the fender bolted to the car. This will help me keep this whole things aligned during the welding process.

I was fortunate to have a donor fender from one of our local guys. The front corner was dented in a fender bender and there was a replacement sourced. It is a later fender and there are some differences in the flange stamping but it still works to transplant sheet metal.

The first cuts were to recover the lower skin and flange. Don't forget to clean off all the undercoating and paint so that you can get a clean weld. Yes, that also includes removing the zinc primer coating.

Once you have the patch cut, its time to offer it up, scribe a line and start putting it back together.

After some work and some welding it was attached. Now that the skin is aligned I will start to replace the flange underneath. I needed a reference to the rocker before I could attach the vertical mounting flange. The fender PO's sticker will remain as reference until the car is painted. Call him my garage buddy for now.

Before replacing the vertical flange I had to treat the top longitudinal flange. I forgot to take a before picture but it was full of holes. This was what I considered some strange rust because the body had no rust. This was all contained above the hood seal. I guess there was some leaves or other buildup along the seal that trapped water and rusted the fender. My same donor fender also gave up its flange. Overall, I transplanted a section about 31" long. I was able to use the mounting clips as my reference to keep it all straight.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #243 (permalink)

Since the fenders would bolt up and hang straight it was time to see how well they fit. My household CFO authorized the purchase of the missing body panels. This meant an order of fiberglass. It took a week or so before the truck dropped off a huge box on the driveway. About the same time I bought a decklid from Jim (jimtweet).

With all this stuff hanging out in the garage I could not help myself but to mock up the car. This is all assembled with tape and clamps but overall fitment is pretty good.

The rear gets a fiberglass decklid and narrow body body, one piece bumper. Simple clean effective.

The front gets a hood and S bumper. The bumper will get some oil cooler vents to cool my drivetrain of choice. Details on that will have to wait. For now, I can just sit back and enjoy the view. This is the first time I have been putting parts back on the car in several years.

until next time...
Old 02-03-2018, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #244 (permalink)

Lookin sweet Jamie!
Old 02-03-2018, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #245 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

My dad's resto shop is awaiting Minne's arrival
Old 02-03-2018, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #246 (permalink)

Mignificent welding skills going on there!

The car is starting to take shape
Old 02-03-2018, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #247 (permalink)

Garage
Got to feel good to get this far, great work Jamie.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 02-03-2018, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #248 (permalink)

Jamie those $11.99 Harbor Freight machines work great. Mad skills. Starting to come together.

78 911sc Targa
70 911T
Old 02-03-2018, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #249 (permalink)

My welding of sheet metal could be greatly improved. They all need more work with a DA to get them to disappear. Doesn't take long and will happen once I start prepping for paint.

PJ - the grinders are almost disposable. I Have killed 4 of them. Blue, Orange or Black. They all die eventually. The problem is that they use tiny wires from the switch to the commutator. Eventually the internal wire melts and they are garbage. Sometimes I take them apart and solder the switch wires to lower the contact resistance. I buy them for $8 with a sale and coupon. The grinding, flap and cut-off wheels cost way more than that.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #250 (permalink)

For sure being disposable. Enjoying your adventure.

78 911sc Targa
70 911T
Old 02-04-2018, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #251 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to nameisbauer
Thank you Chiffonda for your sacrifice for the greater good.

911 Mint Green "RSC" #mintgrun
E30 Diamond Schwarz Touring slicktop#e30speedwagon
450 SL Red #SLadyinred
Old 02-05-2018, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #252 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameisbauer View Post
Thank you Chiffonda for your sacrifice for the greater good.
Don't forget to thank the cow for being in the right place at the wrong time.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #253 (permalink)

Was this the prelude to the beef tongue in the light bucket?
Old 02-05-2018, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #254 (permalink)

Garage
The beef tongue did follow the incident... That is all I am at liberty to disclose.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #255 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevil64 View Post
The beef tongue did follow the incident... That is all I am at liberty to disclose.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #256 (permalink)

Bovine intervention.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #257 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I missed that one!
Old 02-05-2018, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #258 (permalink)

Hill Country Rallye 2016
Old 02-05-2018, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #259 (permalink)

Garage
Jamie,

Great progress. What's the name of the third layer of sound product?

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited by reefdiver; 02-13-2018 at 10:46 AM..
Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #260 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: