Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I would rather be driving

Paul,

Not sure what you are referring to. The layers are: rust primer, homemade thermal barrier paint, Lizard Skin sound paint, color tinted thermal paint and final color.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 02-13-2018, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #261 (permalink)

More time goes by and a little bit of progress has been made. Big news is that the tub is no longer on the Octisserie. I built a new body dolly that uses an old steel steering rack to mount to the front suspension mounting points and a large rectangular steel section that bolts to the transmission mounting holes. This new dolly give great access under the car and takes up a lot less space in the garage. It is still on wheels and very easy to move around.

The primary reason for switching to a body dolly was to have access to the rear spring plate mounting points. The octisserie was bolted to the car at these points and prevented me from having access to weld some reinforcements. Thanks to Dave MadDog Motorsports for having these laser cut. Over the years I have updated suspensions on a number of 911s with cracked spring plate bosses. The worst was 5 out of 8 on a single car. Yes, these really take abuse especially if you have worn bushings.

I am sorry to say I did not get any pictures of the welded plates yet. Suffice to say that you really need to jig them and ensure they stay in alignment. I am using Rebel Racing rear spring plate bushings and the outer support plates bolt up perfectly.

Moving along I decided to mount the rear bumper. No reason other than the car was turned this direction during the weekend when I had a chance to get in the garage. Look Ma! no clamps. The bumper is hard mounted to the tub. I use the forward fender mounting tabs and then additional bolts along the fender seam. These are #12 machine screws through the perimeter seal flange into rivnuts in the fiberglass. It is very secure. I have used this process on the past few builds.

There is always a question about fiberglass and fit. These bumpers are from Peter at RennSpeed. At this point I have only bolted them to the car. No other fitting has been done. The only cutting was to the top flange where it meets the body under the decklid. I had to cut it back and bevel the outside corners to match the tub profile. This took all of 15 minutes. These fit really well. I will still close up the existing muffler cutout and then make new ones for my sport muffler. Crap, I guess that means I have to install the drivetrain...

One of the things I find discontinuous about the 911 is the fender profile. All the fender lips have this hard edge profile. Here is a rear fender that I ran a sander down to highlight the hard edge.

In my opinion this hard edge does not match the bumpers in stock or aftermarket trim. So I decided to profile them. the end goal was a rounded lip similar to a 930, RSR, ST, etc. It is just more fitting with the smooth lines of the car.

It takes about 45 min per lip to reshape the metal and remove the hard edge. On dolly, off dolly, stretching, shrinking metal - all done with by hand. Its truly satisfying to stand back and see a smooth profile glimmering in all its bare metal glory. Kinda like this...

I am currently starting to mock up the oil system. This is one of the last items on my checklist before I can finish the underside of the car.

Until next time... Thanks for following along.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #262 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to nameisbauer
*applause

911 Mint Green "RSC" #mintgrun
E30 Diamond Schwarz Touring slicktop#e30speedwagon
Old 04-03-2018, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #263 (permalink)
non-whiner

Jamie, I took a bit of a break from the forum and came back to see you have made great progress! Well done and I love the little touches like the rounded fenders that will make it unique. Keep up the great work!
Old 04-03-2018, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #264 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Trucking along nicely.....
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 04-03-2018, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #265 (permalink)

Mark,
It has been a while. Is the 904 done? I really need to see if I fit in one. (hint hint, wink wink)
Old 04-03-2018, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #266 (permalink)

Your old man must have an ultimate set of tools.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #267 (permalink)

I had some time this weekend to play in the garage. One of the big tasks currently is to get the oil system mocked up. The car will get a nose mounted oil cooler. I decided that low and wide would be sufficient. I am using an RX7 cooler that has been modified to fit the car.

The first step is to TIG some mounting tabs to the outside edges. This will allow it to bolt directly to the nose latch panel. My Al welding skills are rusty. No worries, its all hidden behind the bumper. I did pressure test after welding. There was one pinhole and it was a factory weld I had dressed to clear the new mounting tabs. Easy fix.

ONce the cooler was setup for mounting it was time to bolt it up. I previously cut the nose but had to do some final trimming. I also had to raise the cooler such that the lower edge is flush with the lower edge of the nose. The bumper fits really close here and I had no clearance. I first clamped the cooler in place and the bumper did not fit. So more adjustments until it cleared.

Finally fit I drilled some mounting holes. The cooler is now Hella Flush. I still have to workout the fittings and hardware. I will probably end up cutting off the existing fittings and welding in new ones.

ONce the cooler was in place it was time to mount the bumper. Overall it fits well. I still have to make a mounting bracket for the passenger side. Since I cut the battery box there is nothing to mount to. That is another day... For now the bumper is bolted and hanging on its own.

Since the front was staring to come together I went to the back. I bought a fiberglass decklid from JimTweet. It was a leftover from his previous project. Fit my needs well. I planned to use 911R hinges. So, I started this assembly today.

First I align the decklid using shims and tape into place. This method works well because it holds the decklid flush with the body line and maintains the gap. (more on that in a minute).

The archives show the hinges mount centered, 12.5" from the outside edge of the decklid. I aligned the hinges with the middle grill mount. this ended up being right at 12.25" over. I left a slot in my tape mounting points to insert the hinges. Then I aligned to my center line marks. Then after drilling some holes I could slide the hardware in place.

You can see the alignment marks here. The hinge is not mounted in this pic.

The tape method works well to maintain the gap. I chose to align the decklid to the upper gap. This is the most visible to me. Seems to be relatively straight. I still have to block it down to fine tune. The side edges also need some love to make the gaps work right.

At the end of the day, the decklid is mounted.

Next up... oil lines.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #268 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Good look up front! I much prefer it to the common box that juts out below the bumper to make space for a cooler.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #269 (permalink)

Yes. The RS front bumper looks out of place to me. I like it on the RSR because the extra width balances the forward bulge. Just personal preference.

The S bumper will be opened for airflow. I just have to make some marks and align the opening.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #270 (permalink)

Man I wish I would of seen this before mounting my FG lid with R hinges. I did not realize how easy it is to get the gap off side to side. Now mine is off a couple of mils (enough to tell) an already painted. I guess I will slot some holes a little. That looks like great fitment. Love the way you mounted the oil cooler. Super flush. Car will look great.
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #271 (permalink)

Oil lines...

This project started a few weeks ago. I just could not quite wrap it up until the oil cooler was in place. I admit that I am following Matt's excellent thread.

1972 911T External Carrera Oil Cooler Install

I found a partial roll of the 100R5-16 hose on ebay. It was about $1.50/ft. Couldn't pass it up. And so the line pulling adventure begins.

First You drill some holes in the rear. Here are two holes in the inner fender support (kidney) panel. Keep them as close to the inside as possible. I used a 1.25" hole saw. The top hole is angled downward to better match the hose as it has to snake down under the rear section of the outer rocker and yet above the jack point. Thankfully, I have replaced a few rocker panels in my day so I know exactly how these all fit together.

After the rear it was time to move to the middle and drill some holes in the vertical fender support. I connected these holes with the cut off wheel to make an oval hole. This will be sealed once the system is all installed.

I needed a place to bring the hoses into the front trunk. I made another oval hole just forward of the shock support area. The edges of the holes are pulled in (upper) and out (lower) to allow a more straight approach. This should be high enough to still have wheel/tire clearance.

This is the same hole from the fender well.

Once the holes were drilled it was time to pull it all through. Starting at the rear, push the hoses through your drilled hole and all the way to the front. It will pop out of the rocker and dead end at the fender support. A lot of twisting, tugging, pulling and cussing is involved.

Next, pull the hoses upward to clear the fender support. This was the toughest part. I suggest to pull the "upper" hose first. the lower hose slides easily against it. I grabbed the hose with some adjustable pliers for more grip. Once you have a few inches exposed you can pull through. I wish I had someone to feed hose on the other end. I will certainly have that available when it is time for in-car assembly. When the hoses pull out of the rocker they turn upward into the fender well.

Hoses go up and over the wheel well providing plenty of clearance. The hoses will later be secured with strategically placed Adel Clamps. The enter the front trunk through the hole I cut eariler.

And finally, the follow just above the battery box cover plate and make a final bend to the fittings on the cooler. I just have to decide what termination fittings I am going to use. Banjo would be the easiest but I am concerned about total volume flow here.

I am going to build the oil cooler air dam this week. I will leave the hoses in place until then. I need to plan the hose angle of attack into the air dam. Afterwards, it all comes back out so I can start to primer, undercoat and color the bottom of the car and the fender wells. This was a big accomplishment. It was the last major fab project on the car before I could start to top coat the tub. Getting really excited. Motivation levels are high right now. Trying to beat the summer heat before its too hot to paint.

Last edited by jpnovak; 04-08-2018 at 07:50 PM..
Old 04-08-2018, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #272 (permalink)

Garage
Go Jamie! At this rate Minnie will be at the next HCR!
Old 04-09-2018, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #273 (permalink)

John,

That is part of the goal right now. Otherwise, Minne will just languish in the corner of the garage. If i can get the car painted by the end of the summer I should make HCR19 with no problems.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #274 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: