Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I would rather be driving

Lots of progress today. I managed to get out of work early this afternoon and take advantage of the sunlight. The past few nights I worked to scuff the entire underside of the car, wipe it down and tape it off. It was basically waiting for the time to spray the undercoating material on the entire chassis.

Today was the day.

I can now say that the undercoating is a good match to the topside color. There is the orange pop. The glow. The incredible tangerine color in the sunlight. Exactly what I was after.

First was the fenders. These were coated on the underside.

And then there is the chassis... I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

Here are the inside shots of the engine bay and frunk.

Now I can focus on the topside paint process. Yes... That means more sanding.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 10-05-2018, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #321 (permalink)

Garage
wow
91 E34 M5
Old 10-06-2018, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #322 (permalink)

Garage
Fantastic work. Good for you. John
Old 10-06-2018, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #323 (permalink)

Wowzers, this just keeps getting better!
2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
Old 10-06-2018, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #324 (permalink)

Super nice.. you've come a long way and the payoff is around the corner!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 11-07-2018, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #325 (permalink)

Keep pushing on!
Old 11-07-2018, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #326 (permalink)

Looks great Jamie...!!!
As u said get ready for sanding, standing and more sanding...
Just remember that the more sanding u do the better the paint job...
Not to get ahead of this great work and progress, but can u restate
What your engine and suspension plans r...?
Make progress every day...!!
Carry on... Bob
Old 11-08-2018, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #327 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I'll reiterate where this car came from. It was not the typical "swiss cheese", it was a "window screen" of rust...

A testament to the perseverance (and an understanding wife!).
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 11-08-2018, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #328 (permalink)

Garage
great update!!
https://www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 11-08-2018, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #329 (permalink)

I wish I had more current update this month. My work schedule and weather windows have not aligned. The car needs to go into high-build primer but I feel like I am loosing my Fall weather window to get the car painted.

Hopefully I can get a few warm days to shoot some paint...
Old 11-08-2018, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #330 (permalink)
Black and Blue

Send a message via Yahoo to Kemo
looks great...cant wait to see it in person!!
Old 11-08-2018, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #331 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Wow. It took me 3 days of stolen time at work to read this and I'm beyond impressed.
I also feel much better about the 1 year I have into my build and how far I haven't gotten.

Phenomenal work. A true inspiration.

IG: @doktor_b
Old 11-09-2018, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #332 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbalich View Post
Wow. It took me 3 days of stolen time at work to read this and I'm beyond impressed.
I also feel much better about the 1 year I have into my build and how far I haven't gotten.

Phenomenal work. A true inspiration.
This stuff takes time.

X10.

Then double that!
Old 11-11-2018, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #333 (permalink)

I have always taken the time estimate as the following:

Time estimate x 2 then move to next larger unit.

2 months takes 4 years. That is my track.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #334 (permalink)

I guess I missed Bob's question about engine and suspension a few posts back. I admit I Have not yet shared most of the build other than to say it was all coming from parts I have in the stash.

Build plan recap:

Engine Goals. High torque mid and upper range for street performance with full rpm capability.
3.0 base (81SC). Cross drilled crank and oil mods for longevity.
10.5:1 CR JE pistons. Usual lightening and piston crown dressing for hot spots.
Twin plug using my conversion adapters. 12 plug on 911SC distributor
Custom cam based on 7K redline
Full internal coatings for friction and thermal

I have 2 ideas for custom mufflers. Once the engine is fit to the car I can start assembling.

Induction will be my MFI stack based EFI system. Full vintage aesthetics with modern control. Will mostly look like a 72T engine from first glance. Its what lurks within that is most important.

The tub was reinforced to reduce flex and requires a firm, yet highly compliant suspension. Setup will be what I would call GT+. Firm enough to support the car but soft enough to enjoy the ride. We have a lot of rough to undulating roads in the TX Hill Country that do not favor board stiff suspension. Suspension setup designed to maximize car control in these circumstances. Suspension setup will be based on:
21/28 torsion bars. This is based on the match of projected wheel weight and Spring rate.
Rebel Racing Rear suspension bushings on stock SC adjustable spring plates
Elephant Racing Front Sphericals bushings on stock A-arms.
Reinforced steel cross member.
Koni Sport adjustable on 4 corners
Koni front struts with raised spindles (17mm for 15" wheels)
19mm F/R sway bars.
Will be aligned and CB to my specs.
Car will be low but ground clearance is key. Think Sporting stance. Not race track.
Will sit on 15x7 square tire setup. Maximize longevity through rotation. Yes, sidewalls are an important part of the suspension. I have 3 sets of wheels that will be different based on conditions from All Season through summer sticky.

It will all start coming together in the next few months.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #335 (permalink)

During our cold snap the other night I realized the weather window is rapidly closing to paint the car. So, I have a long list of parts to clean and organize. I might as well move on to another big project in the build.

The engine... My engine stand is currently on loan so I called a friend to borrow an unused stand. Not much longer I had the engine off the furniture dolly and on the stand.

Since I wasn't tired, I might as well start tearing it down. Not much longer I had a pile of parts. The heads and a few other items will be boxed and shipped off this week for machine work.

A pile of parts on the floor waiting to be organized must mean that I was really close to having a short block. Here you can see the 9.3:1 pistons hanging carefully on the rods.

I also confirmed that the cylinders are Nikasil. This is good as I can hopefully drop in a set of JE pistons once these are cleaned and measured.

The bottom of the engine was filled with oil residue. Not just the usual dirty oil in crevices, This was more like spoiled chocolate milk. Nothing like oil emulsion to brighten your day. I guess this engine got wet at somepoint in its life. No worries. This is exactly the reason I am tearing it down.

The following night I split the case. The inside is full of oil residue. It looks like the oil was not changed at any regular interval and it ran hot. You can see how brown the inside is. This will not be fun to clean out.

The main bearings look really good. The rod bearings... Not so much. I pulled the #2 rod and found lots of wear. Dirty oil? For sure.

Next step is to ship rods and crank to Ollies and heads to Craig Garr at G2 racing. I already have cams and rockers ready to go. The machine shop waiting game has begun.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #336 (permalink)

Garage
going to be one hell of a car when done!

...also, I just learned about a rental paint booth not far from my house. If you want to make a road trip over a long weekend let me know.
'80 911SC Weissach 3.2 Short Stroke Hot Rod
'68 SWB 911T build in progress -The Rat
Old 11-17-2018, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #337 (permalink)

Thanks Jay. I have not found any rental booths in the Austin Area. Weather supposed to be good next week... And I have time available...

Maybe by this time next week I can have color on the car. Of course, I have to get my act together.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #338 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: