Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Porsche Nut

Garage
Nice job.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #341 (permalink)

Garage
^^ indeed. Those of us who've futzed with this stuff know how this is NOT easy. John
Old 11-23-2018, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #342 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

The amount of work to paint a car is tremendous. If you ever try to do this yourself you will certainly appreciate the cost when you write a check to a paint shop. Unfortunately my bank account can not support that right now so I have to move forward with my best garage paint job. Hours of priming, sanding, and more sanding. Eventually you say, this is good and start taping off the car and getting ready for final primer/sealer and color.

The car was taped off to the inside seams. The paint line is at the seam intersection and mostly invisible.

After taping off the blocked off car I had to spray the final primer/sealer. This is epoxy primer that is thinned using a little reducer. I am following the TDS (Technical Data Sheet) of the manufacturer. Once you hit this point you are on the clock. There are time limits to how long you have to leave the epoxy cure, and maximum time before the co-cure chemical bond doesn't happen. Thankfully I have a VERY UNDERSTANDING WIFE that knew ahead of time the timeline I was on. Kinda like a work project on a vacation week.

And then, there was primer/sealer...

Since the car was sealed, I was on the clock. I got up early this morning for final wet sand, wash down, wipe down and dry. What else is there but to shoot color.

And so... Bring on the Tangerine. My best garage/backyard paint job. The new paint gun works quite well. I am using the Eastwood Concours gun shooting 1.5 tip. The PPG paint lays down much smoother than the primer. And here are the results. Yes, despite a few defects and bugs I am happy. Major milestone almost 4 years to the day.

(edit - fix picture link)
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts

Last edited by jpnovak; 11-24-2018 at 06:39 PM..
Old 11-24-2018, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #343 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats!!! Hope you're relaxing with a cold one, you deserve it!

(EDIT - PS looks great! I'd take that over writing a check any day).
Old 11-24-2018, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #344 (permalink)

Thanks Jonny. I only wish it turned out as nice as your paint. Your white car is AMAZING!

I admit I have a few bugs, some dust and other defects. Most of it will buff out. Of course, one drive and I will have enough dirt and rock chips that it won't matter.

So... Bring on the wiring harness.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #345 (permalink)

Garage
Phenomenal. Super impressive. Great color. Be proud of yourself. Congratulations. John
Old 11-24-2018, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #346 (permalink)

Wow, looks great - nice and shiny.

Exactly what paint did you use?
Old 11-24-2018, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #347 (permalink)

can't wait to see it at the next HCR
Old 11-25-2018, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #348 (permalink)

Duuuuude, don't dis yourself, that looks f-ng fantastic. You should be darn proud. Seriously, I've been there I' know what you went through, and its just awesome. Congratulations, you are building yourself a great ride and a nice little nest egg.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #349 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnovak View Post
I admit I have a few bugs, some dust and other defects. Most of it will buff out. Of course, one drive and I will have enough dirt and rock chips that it won't matter.

So... Bring on the wiring harness.

Jamie.. she looks great, you have been putting in the time my friend! Can't wait to see the progress continue.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 11-25-2018, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #350 (permalink)

Paint job is very inspiring. I would like to use the same paint/setup as you in the Spring.

So you used the SPI 2K Primer, what did you use as the sealer? Was the paint just called PPG single stage or does it have a name?

Very inspiring thread. Thank you.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #351 (permalink)

I would like to thank Jamie for his reply to my paint question.

Again, this thread has gone above and beyond with this car. Not only is Jamie a craftsman, but a serious optimist. Where most people would have scrapped the car after removing parts, this is truly an amazing resurrection. It goes to show how far a positive mindset will bring you in a few years.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #352 (permalink)
Porsche Nut

Garage
Jamie, that color is just amazing. It really pops. And cudos to the wife. You are a lucky guy to have one that is so understanding. Thanks for posting such inspiring work for us all to enjoy.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #353 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
if you're not proud of that, you're the most humble guy i've ever even heard of.
tremendous work. you set the bar very high for all DIYers.

IG: @doktor_b
Old 11-26-2018, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #354 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

My family is in the auto/tractor restoration business. I showed them the pictures and they were all impressed.

Jamie did a great job! I'd be grinning from ear to ear if that was my car.

Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 11-26-2018, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #355 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to nameisbauer
Looks awesome!

911 Mint Green "RSC" #mintgrun
E30 Diamond Schwarz Touring slicktop#e30speedwagon
450 SL Red #SLadyinred
Old 11-26-2018, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #356 (permalink)

Looking very good Jamie. It is nice to see a real DIY effort ....especially when it is turning out so well.

regards,
al
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 11-26-2018, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #357 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. It was a big push last week to get this done. Its just starting to sink in that the car is actually painted.

Yes, I am pleased with the result. It has been a ton of work getting to this point. And yet, I feel like the clock has just started over on the assembly phase.

I still need to paint the dash satin black. That should go quickly.

I started cleaning up the wiring harness last night. Hopefully I can get all the items pulled through the tunnel in the next 2 weeks.

I am also about to start gluing the headliner.

New suspension parts (ball joints, tie rods, etc) are arriving this week. Then I can start putting suspension back on the car. Hope to have it on 4 wheels before Christmas.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #358 (permalink)

Just WOW. Tenacity, my dood, tenacity!
Old 11-26-2018, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #359 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome Job! Love the Color! Congrats... It is all downhill from here... body work is time consuming with little results.
'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 11-27-2018, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #360 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: