Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I would rather be driving

Gloves. Are these the things that go over your hands and offer a barrier layer against sharp and potentially spinning objects. Never heard of them.

I do often use them. however, I admit I don't like the feel of them. There is a comfort level with the grip of a power tool that dirty hands offer that dirty gloves do not. leather work gloves often feel slippery. I use them when necessary.

Between my wife and son I have two fantastic motivators for this project. My son is Car Crazy. Of course, it all started with video games and driving super cars. I have managed to steer him from quoting HP and 0-60 times of super cars to looking at classic designs and what makes a car "cool" and timeless. He loves going on drives and always asks when the next one will be. Yes, I have biased him to classic cars with style and not just performance. He has agreed to buy me a real 904 when he earns his millions. I am still waiting... and dreaming...
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 02-22-2015, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Who is this spammer? Always says the same thing. Ban him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfghfth View Post
This will be a fantastic project. I love the color and commend you for saving a car that just a couple of years ago would have been scrapped. I have a '72 with the oil fill door as well...my favorite!
Old 02-22-2015, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

btw, today is National Margarita day. Sipping my own perfected secret recipe. MMM Margaritas!

Hope you are able to enjoy one too.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Just trying to maintain momentum. I am still trying to schedule the media blasting. We have had a lot of wet weather in the area and I have not been able to schedule with the vendor. Right now it looks like Tues/Wed of next week.

In the meantime I have been stripping down suspension components getting ready for the blasting. Trailing arms are in pieces as are the front strut assemblies. There are just piles of parts all over the place. I can't wait to get them cleaned and boxed for the eventual build many months from now.

Next up is stripping down the doors of frames, lift regulators and other components. Fun times.

The past few nights I have been staring at the tunnel trying to decide which direction to take regarding the rust repair. The tunnel has two inner tunnel channels that hold the fuel lines and wiring harness on the DS and PS, respectively. The rust is located below these inner tunnel channels. This means I could fab lower sections and weld them in. The process could be relatively simple since the part is only sheet metal with a flange on the long edge. Still undecided while I search for a new tunnel. I guess the overall amount of work is about the same.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Garage
Great project! Looking forward to more as you progress.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
GAFB

Sounds like your weekend activities will be a real....blast.....?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Well. After 3 weeks of cold, dreary, drizzly (well for Austin winter) weather the sun is back out. Since I consider this to be March and Spring why not make a beach in the driveway. So, I ordered up a mobile beach building system. They arrived right on schedule which is a huge plus for my planned activities.

Before I could build a beach I had to stake out my shady spot. The sun is strong in TX. You need shade to avoid cooking in the sun. Here is my shade structure and all the beach toys.

The mobile beach builder.

Getting started building the beach. You know, the green PPE outfit kinda matches my patch panel.

Just kidding. I am not building a beach by the residue sure looks like one. The mobile wet blasting group showed up today armed with a trailer full of tools and toys to play in the sand. Ground glass mixed with just a tint of leftover orange makes it look like sand.

I am surprised, the process is quite dry. The water mists out with the media so its not like running a hose. More like running a pressure washer that also shoots abrasive. This is a new process to me. I am learning but I like the finish so far. The best part...

Guess what? no undercoating! Yes. Worth every penny here.

I will have lot of sweeping to do and some smoothing with the neighbors for a few hours of noise from the compressor.

Now I can proceed with more rust repair.

Last edited by jpnovak; 03-06-2015 at 12:57 PM..
Old 03-06-2015, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Yes Dave. It's a blast.

Funny. They said the undercoating is taking longer and wished they had brought more aggressive media. The brought fine knowing how thin the sheet metal would be. Let's just say I was explicit about not warping panels.

I don't know if they will finish today or not.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Garage
So it took the undercoating right off? That's sweet. Looking forward to seeing the after detailed pics.

Edit: posted right as you were typing above.

Looking for Engine # 6114097

2010 Cayman
Old 03-06-2015, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

What was the rough cost for the service? Looks great.
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Erik, Just over a grand.

I guess this is about double what a dry process would be. Of course, this number is based on blasting costs about 10 years ago - the last time I had a car stripped.

I did not have to transport the car. I did not have to do anything but lay it out on the driveway, close the garage door and go to work. Totally worth it from a time savings perspective.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Sports Purpose 911 Driver

this is going to be an epic project.
1990 964 RSR project 'Norbert'
1957 356A Emory speedster build in progress
Old 03-06-2015, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I really wish I was there to see what your neighbors thought of that rig! HAHA.

There's nothing better than bare metal as a blank canvas.

Really allows better evaluations of metal work ahead.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Whenever I see a project down to the metal, I always push for paint that has never been seen on one of these cars...but it's hard to argue with that Tangerine when it's the original color.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Whenever I see a project down to the metal, I always push for paint that has never been seen on one of these cars...but it's hard to argue with that Tangerine when it's the original color.
Ditto
Old 03-07-2015, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

my neighbors are surprisingly supportive. They all came over today while I was cleaning up the residual and was asking about the process.

I spent the morning with the leaf blower and vacuum cleaning up the tub. Then tools switched to shovels and buckets to pick up the sand and distribute around. I am trying to beat the incoming rain tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

I have to say that the blasting revealed more areas of the tub that need rust repair. They are never as solid as you think. Undercoating hides may sins.

I also found some prior accident damage in the rear. Its all cosmetic but exposes some of the history. This just means it will take longer to get ready for paint.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Nabisco Premium Saltine

Fantastic!
Old 03-07-2015, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Since there are questions about the blasting process I thought I would share a little more.

The process makes a mess. I will not sugar coat it. Lots to clean up. I spread the residue on the yard as the glass beads will mix well with the heavy clay soil we have here. Consider it 99% sand with just a little mix of polymers and rust. Once it dries it sweeps up very easy and the rest cleaned up with the leaf blower. No problem.

The second observation is the grit. The group used WAY too much media working on the undercoating since they brought a medium fine grit. They are coming back with some coarse material to hit the engine bay and rear fender wells. less time blasting - more time cutting.

The finish is great. Nice smooth tooth. Ready for primer once dry. I plan to shoot epoxy direct to metal next weekend weather and prep-work permitting.

Lastly, The exact reason I wanted to strip the car... Rust. In the past few early cars that I have built the undercoating hides rust. Areas that appear perfectly solid often have rust pock marks underneath. The only way to find them is to strip to bare metal and treat the issues.

Here are some issues I have found after stripping the tub.

QPs show previous accident damage. Dent in the PS QP, folded in lower section in the DS and a patched QP on the DS. All fixable but just adds to the longer list.

Just as I thought, the rockers and jackpoints are are clean. Yes, no rocker replacement on this car. But, there are some issues where the rocker trim was screwed in place. I will have to weld a few small holes up. At least I don't have to cut out large patches or panels.

There are rust issues on the PS long section under the torsion tube. There are two lines of perforations. These are minor and easily patched with a radiused sheet metal section.

Both front fender wells are very clean. This is what you want to see.

The PS cowl had issues under the factory "pfledge" sealant. This is not as easy to repair. Not sure if I will purchase a cowl section for replacement or just fab my own. Lots of time to think about it.

The DS vertical fender support needs a patch. The undercoating was very thick here as it is the corner behind the fuel filler. Lots of crud was built up and guess what?! No surprise, there was rust. I have patched this area of 4 cars. Common problem. This one is minor since the vertical fender support is solid except for a top edge. Not sure that edge is even worth worrying about.

These rust issues are far down the list. First up will be new floors and a front pan. Once the tub is structurally sound then I will fix the small areas.

Last edited by jpnovak; 03-08-2015 at 07:03 PM..
Old 03-08-2015, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

With the time change of daylights savings my sleep patterns are a little off. So, I went out to the garage last night to look at the wiring. I guess about an hour later and the entire wiring harness was removed from the car. Now I can inspect the harness and looked for cracked, burned or otherwise problematic wires. The hardest part was certainly pulling it through the tunnel. The cold, old and stiff wires resisted the bend at the front end.

And to think I did it without the rear deck or heel panel. Tons of access. I can see why this would be "less then fun" in a complete tub. I guess I just get to experience that when it is time to put it all back in.

This also means I am one step closer to replacing the entire center tunnel rather than just patch it. Though I might remove the tunnel, fix it on the bench and then put it back in. Decisions, decisions...
Old 03-09-2015, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: