Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Electrical sunroof issue?

Hello, all!

The sunroof on my '87 911 slant nose Carrera stopped working intermittently in the past two weeks, and finally has stopped opening all together. I can hear the sunroof motor whine when I press the "close" side of the switch, but I hear nothing from the motor when I hit the "open" side of the switch, like it is not getting the power signal for the motor to open sunroof. This makes me think it is a switch/relay/ground issue, but I have no idea where I should start troubleshooting.

Would anybody be so kind as to point me in the right direction? A search yielded me many results related to repairing the sunroof cables, none of which seemed relevant to my problem.

Thanks,
- J

Last edited by JSanders; 12-22-2014 at 01:52 PM..
Old 12-22-2014, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Kroon Wire Harnesses

Garage
Probably one of the contacts on your switch is burned. This happens very often as the motor has no end switch or relay and takes all the load of the motor. Very easy to change. There's a a 4 pole connector on it.
Check also our Facebookpage: https://www.facebook.com/kroon.wireharnesses
Old 12-24-2014, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

So I finally got around to poking around with a multimeter today. I'm getting power all the way to the sunroof motor on both the "open" and "close" wires, but the motor is still not responding to the open signal from the switch, which leads me to believe the motor is failing.

Anybody have any experience finding a replacement motor? Is it repairable? I'd rather not spend the $700 asking price for a new one if I can avoid it.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
So I finally got around to poking around with a multimeter today. I'm getting power all the way to the sunroof motor on both the "open" and "close" wires, but the motor is still not responding to the open signal from the switch, which leads me to believe the motor is failing.

Anybody have any experience finding a replacement motor? Is it repairable? I'd rather not spend the $700 asking price for a new one if I can avoid it.
If the roof motor runs in one direction but not the other the switch is faulty.

Measure the voltage ACROSS the 2 motor power input wires, NOT with respect to ground.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Copy that, I'll get a new switch ordered. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-02-2015, 11:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just thought I would post a follow up, replacing the sunroof switch did in fact fix my issue. Thanks again!
Old 02-26-2015, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
sunroof