Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Reiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne2 View Post
When I bought my '84 a bit over 3 years ago, I fully intended to backdate it. After putting 10k on it since then, nope. It is what it is, no need to make it look like something different. Drive it and enjoy it!
I understand HP upgrades...dropping a newer AC flat six in etc. but the exterior 'backdate' is just a pretend long hood that will always be an SC or Carrera in long hood clothing.
Great deal of time/money to have a poser car.
If you cant afford a long hood...I get that....but a 912 and drop a 6 in it or something.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Even the 912s are increasing in price. Reiver, are you former SF?

~Andy
2013 Honda Pilot
Old 01-10-2015, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Reiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by APachon71RN View Post
Even the 912s are increasing in price. Reiver, are you former SF?

~Andy
True, but what guys are spending on back dating they could still get one and actually have a long hood.

Yes on the other, retired SF CSM.

Last edited by Reiver; 01-10-2015 at 07:19 PM..
Old 01-10-2015, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_D View Post
BTW, what did you think of your new classic?
It is awesome. Definitely some things to tidy up but I'm still getting to know the car. I think a WEVO is in my future. And the fiancÚ thinks the car is very 'classy' and really seems to enjoy it so I'll definitely encourage her to ride in it often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattEarp View Post
I'm kinda partial to the color. My '83 SC targa is the same Quartz Gray.
This one is 'rauchquarz metallic' aparently, found the sticker in the trunk this evening while poking around.

I fixed the turn signal, license plate light, removed the license plate frames and front plate, fixed the leaky windshield washer hose, and tracked the steering column noise to it rubbing on the plastic column trim so I don't think that is life threatening but I have yet to remedy it. I spent some time repainting the black trim around the tail lights which really helped clean the rear end up as the partial clear really bugged me. At some point I'll buy new lenses all together since one is slightly cracked but trying to save the money for other things at this point. I think that is it so far, I did spend a good deal of time just poking around the car getting to know it a little better.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
That is true re: 912s. If I could swing it, I would have bought my 83911sc and a 912 to make into a project.

USMC myself.

~A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
True, but what guys are spending on back dating they could still get one and actually have a long hood.

Yes on the other, retired SF CSM.
2013 Honda Pilot
Old 01-11-2015, 12:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

I really like that bronze metallic, had a '74 in similar color years ago.

SC's are great cars and so many owners have personalized theirs as you can see from mine above.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Reiver

Nice, t stripes look good....always liked F4's too...snake and nape.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
Congrat's on the purchase

I's been 20 years since I bought my metalic bronze SC. I was so excited I couldn't sleep properly and used to wake up in the middle of the night and drive it around the block a few times

If I can offer any advice, adding to the above excellent advice, is don't rush into anything. Enjoy the car for a while and let it grow on you and you will figure out what you want from the car.

Best thing I've heard in the forums for a long time . What a great feeling to have.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

The car has been doing great!

I have been working on it a lot trying to get everything sorted, but still keeping it together enough to drive it and enjoy it.

So far this is what I've done:

Backdated the heat / deleted AC pump - to help make future maintenance easier
Rebuilt the chain tensioners with new collars and installed new cover gaskets
Cleaned as much as the gunk out of the engine bay walls/tins as I could
Replaced both the camshaft oil lines
Replaced all the small vacuum lines
Ignition full tune up - (plugs/wires/cap/rotor)
Adjusted the valves and installed new valve cover gaskets
Fresh oil change with some Brad Penn 20w50
Rebuilt the pedal box with the bronze bushings
Adjusted the clutch
Lubricated the door mechanisms
Installed aluminum door handles
Fixed & lubricated the heater/fresh air control wires in the dash (one was bent and inop)
Replaced all the dash light bulbs
Installed a classic WEVO and new shift coupler bushings
Cleaned and lubricated the hood/trunk latch mechanisms and adjusted them
Removed the center console and put a patch of black vinyl over the remaining holes
Put new wiper blades on
Replaced the fan belt and adjusted it

I think that is most the big stuff, and the car is feeling/running MUCH better now. The shifter/clutch overhauls have made the car so much more drive-able I can hardly believe it. Also all the work on removing the heater motor and AC have made working on the engine a breeze, much easier to keep clean and see what is going on. The car idles smoother and I adjusted it to right around 900rpm which is significantly quieter than the 1200 it was at before.

I think next on the list are some steering improvements (turbo tie rods and a steering column bushing) to remove the spongy/squeaky nature that is up there right now.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Do the Swepco or Kendall gear oil if you haven't already...I found that hugely improved my shifting. I still think a new shifter is in my future however...doing the gear oil *almost* was enough.

Congrats - quite a bit of progress!
Old 02-18-2015, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

And some pictures...

Last edited by flon3y; 02-18-2015 at 11:37 AM..
Old 02-18-2015, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Did the WEVO shifter make that big a difference?
Old 02-22-2015, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Yes. It comes with new bushings for the front end of the shift rod too, which I think made more of a difference than the shifter itself as there was very noticeable play in them before hand. Now the shifter only has about 1/8" of play in any direction compared to the 1-2 inches of play before. I love the auto-centering of the WEVO though, makes it feel like a modern transmission rather than a 30-year-old one. I also HIGHLY recommend the shift coupler bushings as those made the biggest difference in drivability. The car is a breeze to drive now, even in traffic. I still need to do the trans oil but even without that I can't believe the transformation.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

So I finally solved the scraping steering column noise. Turns out the contact ring for the horn circuit was rubbing wrong and had worn poorly. I block sanded the surface of the ring with 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit sandpaper back to a nice smooth surface then lubricated everything with dielectric grease and now it is silent.

In the process I also purchased a Mitch Leland steering column bushing as I thought this might be the source of the noise (which it wasn't) but I do think it helped firm up the steering response and overall feeling so for $30 it was well worth the money. Apparently the PO's mechanic had installed a metal bushing that was starting to wear and had more play in it, so I removed that and installed the ML unit for an improved feel.

I also decided to re-stitch my steering wheel as the leather is in relatively good shape but the stitching had deteriorated and left most of the leather loose on the wheel. Took a LOT of time, partially because I was learning partially because it is just a slow process but I probably invested close to 8hrs into the project.

Now the car is resting peacefully in the garage with the motorcycles. Today was crazy nice weather in the PNW so it's bike season for the next while.

Last edited by flon3y; 02-23-2015 at 12:21 AM..
Old 02-23-2015, 12:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Restitching the wheel---now that's hardcore. Good job!

What's the chewed-up piece of metal in the first pic? Part of the old tensioner?
Old 02-23-2015, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to noboco
Great colour! Great car!

Engine DECALS in accordance with ORIGINAL
Check my thread "FS Reproduction of engine decals"
Old 02-23-2015, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by universeman View Post
Restitching the wheel---now that's hardcore. Good job!

What's the chewed-up piece of metal in the first pic? Part of the old tensioner?
Stitching steering wheels is a labor of love that I didn't anticipate taking nearly as long as it did, and there is certainly some art to it.

That chewed up piece of metal is actually the clutch pedal arm where it connects to the clutch cable in next to the pedal box. The clevis pin had worn through the stock plastic bushing and started eating away at the metal arm! I replaced the clevis pin and put a new brass bushing in there which seems to be working great now though I'm going to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't wear strangely. Ideally I'd have welded the arm solid and drilled a new hole but I don't have a welder right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboco View Post
Great colour! Great car!
It's getting there! I do love the color.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Welcome to the 1983 SC club.
'99 MX-5
7 bicycles and a Metro Card...
Old 02-23-2015, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Life has been super busy so it's been a while since any updates but I've been picking away at things in the meantime.

I bought a pair of seats off Craigslist a few weeks ago, I think they are 944 comfort seats? The seller wasn't super knowledgable about them and they were in a bit of disrepair but I took some time to get a vinyl repair kit to mend the tears and cleaned the fabric as best I could by hand. I think if I rent a steam cleaner I can get them looking even better but for the price I paid they are SO much better than the flat/abused stock seats and will last until I can get some nicer buckets.

Also, yesterday was my birthday and my fiancÚ showed her support of the car by getting me a brand new MOMO Prototipo with hub and Porsche horn button! Looks and feels way better than stock.

I got everything installed yesterday and we took it out for a birthday date-night. I'm loving the way the interior is instantly transformed to be more comfortable and functional, and looks better to boot.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Just been driving and enjoying lately!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2015, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911sc , porsche , restomod