Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Backdate SC

Just got the motor back after putting webcam 20/21 got most of the stuff on except oil lines, alternator, becase I still have to do the fan. I could not wait so see what it would look like with all the shiny stuff on.

From this

to this

Old 01-14-2015, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Well done. Bravo. Looks like it will be right on when done.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

looking good Dave. Let's catch up soon.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Nice!!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennykimk2 View Post
looking good Dave. Let's catch up soon.
Thanks Kenny! The car will be for sale when it's done as I have my IROC project waiting in the wings. If you know of anyone let me know.

Dave
Old 01-14-2015, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Loving it.
1963 356B T6 Coupe / 1962 356B T6 Cabriolet
Current projects - 1955 356 pre-a Speedster / 1964 356C
Old 01-14-2015, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Looking great. Hope to see it in person soon!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Making San Diego proud...well done Dave. Now, get that paint on!
Old 01-14-2015, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyn-hawn View Post
Thanks Kenny! The car will be for sale when it's done as I have my IROC project waiting in the wings. If you know of anyone let me know.

Dave
Dave,

Let me know, when your car is done. I want to check it out.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Where did you source the hood from? Nice project!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMike View Post
Where did you source the hood from? Nice project!
Dave at TRE Motorsports in L.A.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks...are you happy with the fit and quality? It looks like a nice piece.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMike View Post
Thanks...are you happy with the fit and quality? It looks like a nice piece.
The first one I bought they had had a problem with the mold but they did not find out about it until they had made some, mine in particular. They fixed the mold and I exchanged it for this one which fits really well for a fiberglass piece. The only problems with this style is you can't really massage the part without it being visible later. There is a tiny bit of curve running alongside the fender on the right side. I guess you could run a tiny bit of filler (bondo) down the side and then tape it and over lap the paint an inch, or half an inch under the hood. But definitely not something you could easily do fiberglass work on.The other problem which is my fault, I had them run the balsa stringers for a center fill/thru hood fuel tank and leave a gap in the balsa where I would have cut the hole, but I changed my mind and am going to offset to the left and forward not center where they stopped the stringer and left an open area. Here again that is not their fault but it would be real difficult to try to address that now.

Here is a picture of my other project and where I will put the fuel fill on the SC.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

If I understand correct - the issue creates an uneven gap on one side? both sides? Do you have steel fenders or fiberglass?

Very nice looking project there.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yes an uneven gap, I will probably just block down that side and add a little more material on the fender. Yes FG fenders, I had to lengthen those on the door side because the gap between the fender and door at the cowl area was more than I liked. I just ground down the inside and layed some cloth and then some mat on the backside. flipped it over and added my father in laws special concotion on the front sideand am now in the process of gapping the fenders. gapping =sanding, grinding, dust, mess, itchy, etc., etc. You can see a lighter area at the edge that is the material that was added. Look at the far right of the fenderand you can see alot more was added there to get the gap down. There was probably an inch more material but its been ground away and really close to being there now. Now it is all sanding by hand and then fit check resand fit check sand more etc.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

thanks for the details...knowing what you know, would you recommend the TRE product to someone looking to go down that path? If you don't care to post the answer, will you send a PM? I am in the process of part selection soon.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
No I would absoulutely recommend that hood. It is far and away the best fitting FG part on the car out of the box. Everything is fitting pretty well now but you can't just bolt most pieces on and expect great finished results.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

thank you.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

did you powder coat your engine tin work or is that just spray paint ?

looks very nice.
2014 Audi A4 2.0T Technik (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 01-15-2015, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Just got my seats and dash back from upholstery, still doing door panels, new tool roll, visors and misc. stuff. Since I long ago got rid of AC I asked him to fill up the center vent area while he was at it.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: